Sign in to follow this  
DarrianCZE

FSX: Steam Edition... is it worth transferring yet?

Hey guys!

I have bought an FSX:SE quite ago, but I haven't yet decided to make a full transfer. So I am still using FSX boxed edition while my FSX:SE waits in my Steam library.

And my question is... is it worth transferring yet? Or do you recommend me to wait a little longer? I know that there is some performence increase and overally it is better. However... what is holding me back is Addon compatibility. I know that many addons has their compatibility now... but not all of them. FTX Global or AES for example.

When talking about performance... it can be better but I am not suffering from a really low FPS, because I have built PC just for FSX. Therefore I am able to live with my current FPS.

I am an IFR pilot. So addons I use are REX 4, ASN, GSX, AES, FTX Global + Vector. PMDG737NGX, Aerosoft Airbus X, PMDG777... and so on.

Soo.... what do you think, guys?

Jan Podlipsky

I know that many addons has their compatibility now... but not all of them. FTX Global or AES for example.

I'm using FTX Global with FSX-SE. It's only textures after all, just point your scenery.CFG file entries to them.

AES is likely to be a way off I'm afraid. I'm using GSX instead for now.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Thanks for your answer Pete! GSX is briliant at all airports which doesn't have AES support. However AES rocks when comes to their airports. Especially with working Jetways and more precise pushback. GSX only pushes you on the taxiway. AES will push you to the exact position where you should be, and also supports towing aircraft inwards. Not only backwards :-/

I still can't decide if it's worth it.

Jan Podlipsky

FTX Global or AES for example

Global works

"REX 4, ASN, GSX, AES, FTX Global + Vector. PMDG737NGX, Aerosoft Airbus X, PMDG777... and so on."

These all work , I have them. I dont have AES or Airbus so no comment about those

ZORAN

I was actually thinking about switching to prepar3d.
It seems like they are ahead with graphical settings.

i9 10900KF
RTX 3080
32gb ram
SSD

I think SE is awesome but if you have FSX tweaked and are happy with it, you might not find it as beneficial as others have.

AES does not yet work in SE and I gave a feeling the 777 may not. I believe all the other addons you mention do. I have had very little difficulty with addons except AES and HeliTraffic 2009.

Ian

Been using FSX-SE since January or so (with DX10 fixer). Works good. Performance is smoother than FSX.

"REX 4, ASN, GSX, AES, FTX Global + Vector. PMDG737NGX, Aerosoft Airbus X, PMDG777... and so on."

You are right about the older Aerosoft Airbus X Extended but their newer A3xx series, does work in FSXSE with the latest updates. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I'd wait ultil you decide to do a full reinstall of your sim.

If FSX BOX is working fine, there is no point migrating.

Cheers :)

N.-

I'd wait ultil you decide to do a full reinstall of your sim.

If FSX BOX is working fine, there is no point migrating.

If you have the disk space, just do a side by side. Install those addons that work onto FSX-SE. That's what I did. It doesn't hurt your existing FSX Box installations, and you get the benefits of the new platform, smoother performance (Note I'm not talking about higher FPS, just overall smoothness, little to no stuttering.) and the VAS management improvements. For the rest just use your FSX-Box. That's what I did, I fly the PMDG NGX and T7, the Aerosoft A3xxx series, and the A2A P-51D on FSX-SE. All my other aircraft, I fly out of my FSX-Box installation. The only addon that I would really like to work that doesn't is FS-Recorder. I still use it though with FSX Box when I want to watch external replays. Granted there may be times you may need to manually transfer entries, from your original dll.xml or exe.xml to the FSX-SE folder for addons that haven't yet made a FSX-SE installer, but it's not that much of an issue, and more and more addons are updating their software to it. It doesn't have to be an either or question, if you already paid for it, and can afford the disk space, there really isn't any reason not to install it. Besides the aircraft mentioned, I use the following addons that work fine in FSX-SE ASN, GSX, RAAS, FTX Global, USAXUSA-Europe-Canada EZDOK. ProFlight Emulator Deluxe (PFE).

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

As far as my experience goes..FSX Steam Edition is working wonders for me. It is pretty cool to see life breathed back into this years old sim. The devs recompiled the sim, worked some internal magic, and added those necessary tweaks to the cfg that we have had to do manually all these years. Im pretty impressed with the results. After attempting to migrate to P3D, i wasnt thrilled with that sim, although it looked pretty at times. The release of FSX-SE made me come back to "home." Im running ORBX Global, ORBX Vector, ORBX KPSP, KSEZ, AYPY, ORBX Trees, ORBX EU Landclass, ALL of the Freemesh X areas, and REX textures and soft clouds with ASN running the weather. And Ultimate Traffic 2. And FSX-SE just purrs like a kitten. No OOM's.

I am pretty impressed with FSX-SE...i recommend at the very least getting it to try along with your boxed copy. One advantage of Steam is youll never lose the dvd's. 

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

Thanks to the Steam edition I got back into FSX and am really enjoying it. It seems much smoother than before, and I'm sure I'm getting better FPS! 

At the moment I've not reloaded many add-ons. I've just installed REX Essentials Plus, and I'm planning on installing FTX England and a few of my UK2000 airports to see how they perform.

As I've re-discovered my FS mojo I may take the opportunity to leave the old aircraft in their hangar and try out something new - I've given up waiting for the FSLabs Bus so maybe the PMDG T7.

Anyway, another vote from me for FSX-SE. Well worth a flutter, I'd say..

Ian

I'm in the same position: using FSX Deluxe boxed on a low spec PC (Pentium 2.70 GHz and NVidia GT520 - it works!) and getting reasonably good sim experiences but wondering if I should move to FSX:SE which I got on a very low price promotion early days.

Two thoughts keep me from moving:

1. Is it worth the effort of re-installing and then patching my add-ons? Will my low spec PC see any benefits from FSX:SE?

2. Will my logbook and rewards transfer into FSX:SE or will I be back to zero-hours flight log?

What did you decide to do DarrienCZE? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Best regards

Rupert

You have heard the term 'your mileage may vary' - well my mileage is currently zero success.

I have it installed and right now the only think that works is the base system.

I have downloaded the corrected versions of the PMDG NGX and 777 and the Aerosoft A320. 

Neither will work and right now I'm think that I would have had more fun using the $25 as paper starter for a BBQ.

I will keep persevering but there is a somewhat nasty taste in my mouth that won't easily go away.

Having said this there are others for which this has been a godsend.