Sign in to follow this  
DarrianCZE

FSX: Steam Edition... is it worth transferring yet?

Have to say that since installing I have seen no difference in performance...it is on a par with the Boxed version....for me....one thing I do have seemed to noticed is I have now picked up a ground scenery stutter which almost pauses the sim every so often, panning is also worse at this time.

However it would be unfair to say it is SE it could well be a host of things causing it and it has just shown up on the change over..so some serious drilling down to find the cause and what is going on.

At this time it will stay on the system as it is pointless going back to the box version...and hopefully it is a moving platform within the limits of DTG.

All the best Mark

I have downloaded the corrected versions of the PMDG NGX and 777 and the Aerosoft A320.

Did you install the simconnect modules from the SDK\Core Utilities kit\Simconnect SDK\legacyInterfaces and lib folders? I find I only need the FSX XPack, but PMDG recommends installing all of them.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Did you install the simconnect modules from the SDK\Core Utilities kit\Simconnect SDK\legacyInterfaces and lib folders? I find I only need the FSX XPack, but PMDG recommends installing all of them.

Yeah - installed each of them. 

Not sure where to go from here - probably PMDG ticket time.

1. Is it worth the effort of re-installing and then patching my add-ons? Will my low spec PC see any benefits from FSX:SE?

Thanks

My low-spec (but soon to be replaced) PC definitely sees benefits. Flying around EGLL and over London with sliders up and even some traffic it's a lot better than before. I'm introducing add-ons one by one to gauge the effects.

I'd say go for it.

Results definitely vary.

According to many success stories, I was ready to observe some improvement in frame rates or in general smoothness at least. I followed Pete Dawson's instructions to get the Steam version installed side by side to the boxed version. Same scenery, same aircraft, same settings and cfg edits. Nothing. In my system it runs exactly the same as the boxed version. Tried various load scenarios but for the moment I can't observe any smoothness improvement.

Note that my boxed version is tweaked to death, though. It runs perfectly smooth except for some extreme load situations.

Anyway, in the long run I will certainly move to Steam version, for the VAS management alone. But for the moment I am staying with the boxed version as I never had an OOM with it and some tools I use (HTR mainly) still have compatibility issues.

regular fsx has been abandoned by MS

Can you still activate it?

Would you tell Win XP users the same thing or would you suggest Vista?

I followed Pete Dawson's instructions to get the Steam version installed side by side to the boxed version. Same scenery, same aircraft, same settings and cfg edits.

Do you have a link to those instructions ?  

Thanks

Can you still activate it?

Would you tell Win XP users the same thing or would you suggest Vista?

is Microsoft still patching FSX? NO   :p0816:

is Microsoft still patching FSX? NO   :p0816:

So Vista it is!

I followed Pete Dawson's instructions...

Pete Dowson. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Still running FSXBE and (for me) it is running smooth and no OOMs, so I think I will wait until I can just install FSXSE, put my addons in and go fly. Until then, I have it in my Steam library.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg