Sign in to follow this  
DarrianCZE

FSX: Steam Edition... is it worth transferring yet?

As long as the "Direct Connect" multiplayer feature remains broken/disabled I have no use for SE. Also, I am not willing to have to continually 'chase the update' and wait for 3rd party developers to 'fix' their installers, etc, as a result of each SE recompile.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Pete Dowson. :wink:

Ray, yes I know but my android keyboard dictionary had its own opinion.

When I noticed it was too late :o 

I have the SE version, but it's still sat uninstalled in Steam. I got it for a fiver in a sale so thought I would just incase.

However, I wonder if all the people who are seeing better performance are either those who didn't who tweeks before, or just the simple fact of re-installing it. Frooglesim made a video a few months ago about this and states he re-installs everything every so often and finds his performance appears to improve each time he does it. I re-installed not that long ago and I felt my performance improved. I put that down to only adding a couple of tweeks to the cfg instead of the huge number I had before. I see less crashes as well. I'm still deciding if I should jump but I think a number of the comments here back me up in that I won't bother and just move to P3D when I've got the cash.

I've never really seen any hard evidence that Dovetail actually did more then add the HIGHMEMFIX and moved multiplay away from Gamespy. Others have stated they thought the code had been improved, but I've not read anything to confirm that, unless someone can point me in that direction. If that happens I might move in the intirim, but Dovetail said on their live stream they are not changing anything in FSX:SE other then working on "stability", but that could mean a whole lot of things, and anything new is going in DFS.

I've never really seen any hard evidence that Dovetail actually did more then add the HIGHMEMFIX and moved multiplay away from Gamespy.

From a frame rate stand point, I don't see a big increase in FSX-SE, there is a slight improvement, but my testing shows this is accounted for with the smallPartRejectRadius setting.  If I set the same in FSX Box I get the same improvement. Others though have claimed greater FPS improvement. That said, the improvement in smoothness (less stuttering) and VAS management are very real. Here's a side by side VAS test on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUxjBd4xz58

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks tf51d, I didn't realise VAS had improved. Not something I've hit yet (OOM), but I want to do a cross the pond in October and worried I may hit it with a flight that long, with NY and London high end scenery and PMDG.

Maybe I'll give it a try at one point. Just annoying as I have FSX exactly where I want and doing want to poke the beast

A freshly installed FSX always performs nicely :)

Thing is: For a couple of people boxed FSX is uninstallable (on Windows 8.1). So FSX-SE is the only option apart from P3D. I have them installed both, and I tend to fly more often in FSX-SE due to the fact that a couple of addons still do not work in P3D (and probably never will)

Thing is: For a couple of people boxed FSX is uninstallable (on Windows 8.1). So FSX-SE is the only option apart from P3D. I have them installed both, and I tend to fly more often in FSX-SE due to the fact that a couple of addons still do not work in P3D (and probably never will)

I never had any real issues installing FSX on 8.1. Few quirks with EZDOK but easily resolved. In fact, that was probably the hardest thing to get working with FSX

A freshly installed FSX always performs nicely :)

If you have a mechanical hard drive I agree. But with an SSD it will still be as good months or years later as it was on day 1.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think SE is awesome but if you have FSX tweaked and are happy with it, you might not find it as beneficial as others have.

AES does not yet work in SE and I gave a feeling the 777 may not. I believe all the other addons you mention do. I have had very little difficulty with addons except AES and HeliTraffic 2009.

Ian

I agree

From a frame rate stand point, I don't see a big increase in FSX-SE, there is a slight improvement, but my testing shows this is accounted for with the smallPartRejectRadius setting.  If I set the same in FSX Box I get the same improvement. Others though have claimed greater FPS improvement. That said, the improvement in smoothness (less stuttering) and VAS management are very real. Here's a side by side VAS test on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUxjBd4xz58

Agree smoothness and VAS management are very real.

in twenty days i have clocked up more than 20 flights many over 13 hours with active Sky next and Orbx. smooth as silk

and on a laptop on steroids.

What i notice there isnt a lot of activity of people posting isuues on FSX:SE ie:  crash to desktop, VAs,  etc so that initself is a plus for the reincarnated FSX. Im impressed and happy the way it runs. for all those with boxed FSx on stable system stay with what you got if it not broken or running like a treat.

PMDG 777 & 737NGX

ASN

ORBX

all work superbly

Most of my CTD went away after I updated all of the C++ redistributables (2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013). FSX:SE does install some of them, but I decided to install them all.

If you have a mechanical hard drive I agree. But with an SSD it will still be as good months or years later as it was on day 1.

Constant defraging is getting annoying, I should really upgrade.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Constant defraging is getting annoying, I should really upgrade.

Defrag, what is "Defrag"?  SSD and I never looked back. 

Defrag, what is "Defrag"?  SSD and I never looked back. 

:drinks:

Same for me. I have 3 of them in my flightssim PC. I only use a rotating HD for storing installation and data files. I'll never buy a rotating harddrive again. (Except for my NAS)

Arthur van Ancum

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I have a few major issues with FSX SE, and that is all around the operation of the Steam client itself. I have adressed this on other forums as well and an unresponded to email, to Dovetail Games. And I have seen no other users around the world raising this at the moment, this in so far as I can find, except in my circle of aquaintences and friends who have the same hobby.

The Steam client is invasive and controlling, and I have 12 other Steam games to back up what I am mentioning here. The flip side is I hardly play these anymore due to the huge irritation of the Steam client. I have NO choice or freedom with this client, to do what I want to do. With ANY boxed or pure downloadable version of ANY game, I can choose when I install it, download the updates and update it. For countries that do not have the luxury of huge cheap internet speeds (I am currently on an expensive 4Mb/s - 512KB/s in real terms, line with a limited amount of data capping) this type of controlled gaming is not practical. The client is forever doing updates itself, especially if left unused for a few days, never mind weeks or months, and then wants to do updates for the installed games. And in countries like mine, I am sure there are many out there, we can wait anything from an annoying 10 to 30 minutes, to hours before we can use the SIM.

So one can never sit down, tell the client to take a hike along with ALL updates, and get started with the SIM, i.e. enjoy immediately what we purchased, with a day or evening of what the hobby is all about!!! And secondly one can NEVER use the simulator without a permanent internet connection. I am a member of two virtual aviation clubs, and we meet twice a month for a full on ATC planned mission event face to face, and can and do meet every Saturday as a friendly get together. We do not have internet access at the two clubs, nor do we want it. So with this we all use the boxed version and help each other with new found aircraft, scenery, purchases etc at these events, to tune and have fun. As a club should be, comraderie with a common interest. If we had to move over to FSX SE, firstly this would take most of the fun away, and as I said unusable as a standalone SIM for offline LAN gaming.

And then one only has to follow all of the posts of issues around the web, with where and how the game is installed, and the add-ons, even as they are being improved. So another learning curve and possible limitation, of what many of us do, and that is tweaking and tinkering with the SIM.

We are allowing ourselves to hand over our freedoms and choices, to a gaming control system, that has ALL of the control, and does not listen to it's customer base. For me personally FSX SE will be a non entity while the above is never addressed and corrected, and I will move towards P3D for my "FSX" satisfaction with all of my purchases. And I am already a prolific user of X-Plane, yes sadly I see that it too has a Steam client version, thankfully though in their wisdom, they have kept the boxed version ongoing.

Love FSX:SE, never looked back. Be patient and take your time reinstalling your add-ons and just enjoy the fun of flying.

WW1294.png