Sign in to follow this  
DarrianCZE

FSX: Steam Edition... is it worth transferring yet?

1) It's possible to install games on different drives despite where Steam is installed

2) FSX-SE since the last patch works in Steam Offline mode

Both points are true, but...

...the ability to create and use a private local network does not exist. So, "club members" meeting for a session could not connect to the "club's" LAN with FSX:SE. They'd remain the red-headed stepchildren in the brunette family.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I see what you mean, but considering they moved FSX from having no multiplayer, to have some multiplayer, that feels like an improvement to me

Acronis will have a Disk Clone option which is what you need. An exact mirror image of a hard drive. Easy peasy. :smile:

The 850 Pro will be a better choice than the Evo. Costlier but a better quality drive. Prices not dissimilar to the UK.

Thanks for the advice on the 850 Pro.  Only other question is this:  My current drives are partitioned so can I move just one or two partitions to the new SSD or do you have to move the entire drive.  Reason I ask is that I probably don't have enough room on the SSD to do this.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I see what you mean, but considering they moved FSX from having no multiplayer, to have some multiplayer, that feels like an improvement to me

Undoubtedly true for a great many (most?) users, but a giant slap in the face to many others who rely on the ability to connect via private local network...

...which FSX most certainly allowed. Why did DTG remove a feature being used? Adding a new multi-player client system was a requirement. Removing existing LAN code was not a requirement!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for the advice on the 850 Pro.  Only other question is this:  My current drives are partitioned so can I move just one or two partitions to the new SSD or do you have to move the entire drive.  Reason I ask is that I probably don't have enough room on the SSD to do this.

I think you can be selective about what is mirrored. My laptop hard drive had two hidden partitions and I did debate as to whether I could dispense with one. I decided to play safe and make an exact copy.

How much space on each partition is actually used? Bear in mind that whilst the SSD may have a smaller capacity than the whole of the hard drive all you need is sufficient space for the actual data.

Also, remember that anything currently on the SSD will be deleted before the process is started. It's best to work with a blank SSD.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

FSX has Multiplayer and always did. After the Gamespy connect was dropped one had/has the option to 'connect direct' to a remote server.

This is the option that I use as I fly exclusively on the DigitalThemePark servers with the 91st Bombardment Group.

Since FSX-SE does not offer a working 'connect direct' option, it is of no use to me. Flying on the servers offered by DTG is not an option or desirable.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

...which FSX most certainly allowed. Why did DTG remove a feature being used? Adding a new multi-player client system was a requirement. Removing existing LAN code was not a requirement!

I believe this was down to them moving the whole multiplayer over to Steam, which doesn't allow this. From what I've read it was all or nothing. Their license from Microsoft is also very heavily restricted in what they can and cannot change. I imagine they didn't remove it out of choice, they gain nothing doing that.

FSX has Multiplayer and always did. After the Gamespy connect was dropped one had/has the option to 'connect direct' to a remote server.

This is the option that I use as I fly exclusively on the DigitalThemePark servers with the 91st Bombardment Group.

Since FSX-SE does not offer a working 'connect direct' option, it is of no use to me. Flying on the servers offered by DTG is not an option or desirable.

Paul

They are steam servers, not DTG servers

Andrew,

I've just priced the Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb SSD and it's £148 or $230. The 840 Evo 240Gb is £137 or $213.

There was a time when these cost £1 per Gb so prices are definitely down over the last few years. I had to look at your profile to see where "my country" was and I see you're in South Africa. The exchange rate with the dollar has not been favourable to you which is another factor to consider. Your prices in USD don't seem too different to those in the UK.

Hi Ray

Yes correct I'm in Edenvale Johannesburg South Africa, and our Rand is very poor against the UK, Euro and US currencies. So although I quoted in US dollar as the examples, we are nearly 12 to 1 against the US dollar, 13 to 1 against the Euro and nearly 19 to 1 against the BRP. You can see what we pay for in our country. $200 is R2.400 and that is a lot of money for any middle class South African to spend on a piece of PC equipment, hence it is much harder for many of us to easily move over to SSD's. And because we import these types of items, we have to pay the import and customs duties, and our 13% VAT, all compulsory, so you can see how these items end up as final cost to us, no matter if from the UK, US or Europe.

Regards

Both points are true, but...

...the ability to create and use a private local network does not exist. So, "club members" meeting for a session could not connect to the "club's" LAN with FSX:SE. They'd remain the red-headed stepchildren in the brunette family.

Thanks FR Bill for both of your replies to the private LAN and the loss of multiplayer. Both very important issues for LAN'ing around the world. At least I have someone else seeing the issues of FSX: SE, over what was already available and working fine in FSX boxed. Maybe I was not so eloquant in my explanation earlier. It seems I made my comment and am being lambasted by some here, but they are not seeing the global shortcomings that have to be overcome to make this version as succesful as the standalone was/is.

But as I like to say, I have skin so thick, even a Rhino would be envious, as to responses here. I can take it, and it sometimes does hurt to get people to push past their comfort zone of the use of something, so as to see the real issues that affects others.

Codechris already jumped in and said what i mostly wanted to say regarding Screwbottle.

I'll just point out again that:

1) It's possible to install games on different drives despite where Steam is installed

2) FSX-SE since the last patch works in Steam Offline mode

3) FSX users are spoiled by the fact that FSX development stopped with SP2, years and years ago.  This is NOT what usually happens, things gets broken, repaired, people adapt. If this is too much for you, i suggest you play consoles. Then you can come back to us and talk about a controlled environment.

4) Beein born in 1989, i don't think i am one of the most recent generations that, sure, might approach simulator games. Most of us still started playing like they did, crashing around, flying without following regulations or anything. There is no difference in generation on that.

It's you against over 8 MILLIONS people using Steam i am afraid.

France89, well it seems not so, if you read the responses here with FSX;SE, in reference to me over 8 million. Who says 8 million are absolutely right, especially when it comes to flight simulation, as we are discussing in this forum. I and others are simply listing the current shortcomings not addressed by DTG in connection with upgrading a current popular SIM, and it being controlled by Steam. It fails even against the now 8 year old existing FSX.

1. Only as a complete Steam installation, try seperate the Steam installation from the actual game, that is what I was referring to. I have a 80GB Steam folder on my D: drive and whithin that it installs the playable games. Otherwise please enlighten me as to how to install a Steam game, separate from it's client into another folder or drive. This is what I was on about.

2. Great, good to know, but here is a fact I gleaned off of the Steam forums. Any installed game has to be totaly patched and up to date before you can enable offline mode. And if you re-enable online mode, then one has to run all patches, plus client updates, to present before re-enabling the offline mode. This in itself is a hindrance as to instant use of any game from offline mode to online mode and back again. And I am being told that Steam is not invasive or controlling?

3. I disagree, as FSX is not my/our only simulator, so that statement is moot. In my case I have Rise of Flight, DCS, X-Plane, FlightGear, all non-steam accounts, and current day simulators, where I run patches regularly, at my decision, time and place of choice. So again where are we spoilt, if we do this all of the time. Adn what about the regular payware add-on updates to FSX. Never mind the regular monthly third Wednesday of every month, Microsoft updates, I run both W7 Pro and W8.1 Pro, a business decision. And why do you have to insult to tell me to play consoles, another joke of a controlling gaming platform. We are in a free and fair forum, no need to lower your standards to an insult, simply because your opinion disagrees with mine. I've been in IT for 39 years, of which the last three have been my own business, so I think I know my way around ANY Server, Linux, Apple, PC or mobile system. When you have installed a $50Million enterprise network system, to success, under budget and install time, then you come back to talk to me. Oh, and I also build up to $20K commercial and private cockpits as an extension to my business.

4. I was born in 1959, and it does not take much imagination to see how our devices today control us, and those out there with gaming solutions doing the same. The excuse of piracy, and losses does not wash, as they try to label all as offenders, and introduce draconian systems to try and stop this. This affects all honest people with no real impact on the real pirateers/booleggers, and not finding more elegant and better ways to combat piracy. It simply comes down to greed and control of the revenue stream/income, in reference to Steam type systems.

1. Only as a complete Steam installation, try seperate the Steam installation from the actual game, that is what I was referring to. I have a 80GB Steam folder on my D: drive and whithin that it installs the playable games. Otherwise please enlighten me as to how to install a Steam game, separate from it's client into another folder or drive. This is what I was on about.

When you install the game it asks where you want to install it, by default it will be something like c:\program files(x86)\steam etc etc) Click this drop-down box, and choose where you want to install. You can move the install directory and steam will pick this up, this might help you https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

But yes, it is annoying, and unclear, why Steam force users to update their games before they can play it. I've never found a clear answer on it, not something that's bothered me since internet in the UK is good, but places with bad internet, such as your self (I had a friend who live in Cape Town for a few years and it really aggravated him) or America, it can be a real issue.

And just to reiterate, since you state you have thick skin then ask why a user has to insult you, nobody would be insulting if you hadn't coming up with lines such as "spoonfed generation" line which I find, quite frankly, disgusting. I couldn't care how old or young you are. You're age makes you no more or no less "spoonfed" or stupid, or intelligent or funny, or brave, or idiotic, or frankly anything. If you don't want to be insulted, don't insult other people. You just labelled a whole group of humans as "spoonfed". Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if I cast assertions over a whole race of people, that would be racist "I'm not hiring any white man because they are stupid" "I'm not hiring any women as this is a mans only company, only men have brains to be good at finance"...that is what you just did.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say it was a throw away line and you didn't mean to insult anyone specifically, since from what else you wrote, I don't think you did, just a little frustrated with the Steam platform

Yes correct I'm in Edenvale Johannesburg South Africa, and our Rand is very poor against the UK, Euro and US currencies. So although I quoted in US dollar as the examples, we are nearly 12 to 1 against the US dollar, 13 to 1 against the Euro and nearly 19 to 1 against the BRP.

Hi Andrew,

I visited my cousin in Durban twice - 2008 and 2011. In both those years the exchange rate with the UKP was around 13-15 Rand. Whilst 19 would be excellent for tourists it's awful for those wishing to buy foreign products. I can understand that an SSD is too expensive especially with import duties. Hopefully things will improve and these products will become affordable for you.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

France89, well it seems not so, if you read the responses here with FSX;SE, in reference to me over 8 million.

I will try to keep this short, to stick to the concept so the language barrier doesn't get in between me and you on the discussion, just in case i didn't express myself properly before.

1) Chris already replied you.

2) I can't say much since i have a working connection. However it makes sense in the way Steam tries to keep the games updated all the time. I do not see it as a big issue, in fact it's a good thing, but i can understand that a minory of players with bad or limited connections would be in trouble. But in this case, they should have informed themselves more about how Steam works. More so in your case, since you said before you already had other games in your Steam library.

3) My statement is moot, how exactly? Lots of addons for X-plane needs to be updated when a new patch comes out, same happens on Prepar3d, same happens with mods on DCS (of course it doesn't happen with the modules, since Eagle Dynamics is publishing their own addons on their own platform). We are spoiled in the form in which we consider addons as the stock FSX. But FSX on its own does not include addons, so it's fair to say that with the new patches FSX works (in the same way everything works on DCS). What doesn't work are addons (on FSX) and mods sometimes (on DCS).

I didn't insult you, i just don't find a reason to raise such a drama about Steam being controlling, and invited you to go play with consoles if you want to see, i believe so, a real controlled environment.

I also find really weird for someone with such experience as yourself to be living in a place so internet limited, but i guess it can happen.

Edited by n4gix
DO NOT QUOTE THE ENTIRE POST!!!

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I also find really weird for someone with such experience as yourself to be living in a place so internet limited, but i guess it can happen.

Oh no, the internet in South Africa is truly awful. Better now then a few years ago, but awful. A lot of it has to do with not enough undersea cables. If you look up a map of the undersea cables, Africa doesn't much much, especially South

Hi Andrew,

I visited my cousin in Durban twice - 2008 and 2011. In both those years the exchange rate with the UKP was around 13-15 Rand. Whilst 19 would be excellent for tourists it's awful for those wishing to buy foreign products. I can understand that an SSD is too expensive especially with import duties. Hopefully things will improve and these products will become affordable for you.

Yep , we are all hoping so, as without getting political, this country is in dire straits at the moment, when it comes to currency value retention, loss of jobs, failing water supply systems, electricity that is cut off for three hours at least once a day, and other declining services. All covered in local and international press. We changed our democracy hoping for the better in '94, but sadly we have take one step forward and five steps backward.

Hey guys!

I have bought an FSX:SE quite ago, but I haven't yet decided to make a full transfer. So I am still using FSX boxed edition while my FSX:SE waits in my Steam library.

And my question is... is it worth transferring yet? Or do you recommend me to wait a little longer? I know that there is some performence increase and overally it is better. However... what is holding me back is Addon compatibility. I know that many addons has their compatibility now... but not all of them. FTX Global or AES for example.

When talking about performance... it can be better but I am not suffering from a really low FPS, because I have built PC just for FSX. Therefore I am able to live with my current FPS.

I am an IFR pilot. So addons I use are REX 4, ASN, GSX, AES, FTX Global + Vector. PMDG737NGX, Aerosoft Airbus X, PMDG777... and so on.

Soo.... what do you think, guys?

This is just my personal opinion, but for me FSX Steam Edition has been heaven in comparison to the boxed version. I am willing to sacrifice some add-on compatibility just to have a stable platform.

I used to get a lot of crashes and various things not working with the boxed edition. I have had the Steam version for about a month and used it quite a bit, so far I've had not a single crash or problem. However, when I get my new PC, I will be moving to Prepar3D, but I would highly recommend the version available on Steam.