Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

Nvidia 970 single monitor Artifacting when panning

RejectThreshold specifies the minimum graphics draw command size that is not buffered, thus all commands smaller that this value are buffered, and those that are larger are issued immediately without buffering.  Using RejectThreshold provides a compromise between fully buffered and no buffering (BP=0).  A good value to try, and what I use for my similar system (780 gtx) is

RejectThreshold=131062

If you want to experiment it is recommended, though not necessary, to use multiples of 65536 (also known as 0x10000 hexidecimal).  Though I've yet to see BP=0 artifacting with my setup, I've found that using RejectThreshold provides an overall smoother experience, but I also am a DX10 Fixer user.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

High water settings are necessary if you want to use bp=0 with later nvidia cards. Probably that will get rid of most of your artifacts. Keep in mind that there are several schools of thought when it comes to fsx tweaking, one school's absolute no-no's are another school's necessities. Try to pick a guru (nickn, *******, Paul's dx10 school, are we allowed to talk about Word Not Allowed these days at Avsim?) and stick with that school. Don't try to mix and match different tweaks from multiple sources, you'll be much happier in the end.

Really, je$us can't be said in this forum? I wasn't even talking about the religious figure, but the fsx guy.

High water settings are necessary if you want to use bp=0 with later nvidia cards.

I forgot this (for it's been so long ago) and it's fact: unless you use water at High 2.x, BP=0 causes artifacts.  This is has been well known for years.  Thanks for pointing this out, most likely it's the OP primary issue.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I use water at High 2.x and still get artifacts in high-stress situations for the GPU (e.g. bad weather, lots of trees, etc.). It's related to overstress on the graphics card. I have a GTX970, so it happens even with the newest hardware if you push it hard enough.

James

I use water at High 2.x and still get artifacts in high-stress situations for the GPU (e.g. bad weather, lots of trees, etc.). It's related to overstress on the graphics card. I have a GTX970, so it happens even with the newest hardware if you push it hard enough.

I seriously doubt that. I've monitored my graphics card with GPU-Z when it would sometimes artifact on High 2.x and it wasn't even close to being stressed out. It's a design issue in FSX if you ask me.

I seriously doubt that. I've monitored my graphics card with GPU-Z when it would sometimes artifact on High 2.x and it wasn't even close to being stressed out. It's a design issue in FSX if you ask me.

Not sure that "stressed out" is something you can measure at the video card level...

It is the pipeline of Memory - CPU - IO controller/bus - Video Card that determines

if the data is ready to be displayed at the right time..  If anything gets stressed in that

pipeline, you will see visual artifacts.  ^_^

Bert

The only other tweaks, are disable preload, highmemfix, Texture Bandwidth Multi 80, Texture max 4096, and Affinity mask 14. Oh and Bufferpools.

An affinity mask of 14 is specifically for i5 quad core CPUs with no Hyperthreading or i7 CPUs with HT disabled. If you have HT enabled on your CPU you should look at a mask of 84.

/Edit: - On a hyperthreaded quad core CPU a mask of 14 effectively disables 2 cores (4 logical processors) so you have three threads running on the remaining 2 cores (00001110). A mask of 84 assigns three threads to their own core and leaves a core free for running processes outside of FSX (01010100). 

I turn HT off since fsx rarely uses all the cores, and I trade faster clock for lower temps with HT off.

What's your NI Vsync setting and your FSX frame rate setting? I use Vsync set to 1/2 refresh rate and get spiking if I set an FSX frame rate at 31 or 32 with BP=0. With a 30 FPS setting, all is well.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

NI Vsync is 1/2 refresh rate, FSX framerate set to unlimited. I have tried VSYNC ON and NI FPS 30 also with FSX set to unlimited.