Sign in to follow this  
utd4life

Autogen load distance

Hello all,

I've been reading around the forms and I have noticed many others having the same problem as me in P3D 2.5 in regards to autogen and it not loading out very far, respite chaning LOD_Radius in the P3D config. From my understanding of what I have read the autogen has been coded to not load very far to help save on VAS, however I was wondering if anyone has come across a way to override this setting to have the autogen load further or if this is possible?

Many thanks,

Dan

Not possible. The maximum distance is 6.5 miles if I remember correctly.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

It's a real shame, apart from this I really do love P3D, it still remains my Sim of choice, but I hope LM will give you the option to lift this restriction on the LOD radius in a future patch/version.

There was a semi-technical discussion on another thread as o why it is just not a simple matter of expanding the range ring around the aircraft.

At first I felt the same way but when I add loads of autogen, clouds, and set visibility to 30 miles I get a very natural immersion and don't miss the extended range.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU

There was a semi-technical discussion on another thread as o why it is just not a simple matter of expanding the range ring around the aircraft.

At first I felt the same way but when I add loads of autogen, clouds, and set visibility to 30 miles I get a very natural immersion and don't miss the extended range.

How can you set the visibility in P3D? In my opinion it only works with ASN. Hope you can shed some light in here. THX

Michael

You can extend the tree draw distance but changing this line in the cfg.

AUTOGEN_TREE_MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE=9500.000000

I think the max is 12000.000000 and this makes the tress match the building draw distance, but its something.

Visability is set in the Custom/Advance section in Weather, but if you're using ASN it will use its own distance.

Yea, just checked my P3D.cfg file.  I have under my [scenery] section:

AUTOGEN_TREE_MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE=12000.000000
AUTOGEN_TREE_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_LOD=2500.000000

I also upped my autogen buildings and vegetation under [Terrain] to:

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=6000
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_PER_CELL=6000

I think the norm is 4500.  

So that gives a little smoother fade in of trees and buildings.

Also, try using the 'Level of detail radius:' set to Max found under the Terrain settings of the Scenery set window.

Hi Clutch:

IIRC, in FSX the hard-coded AGN display distance limit was reported by Bill Womack (based on a personal disclosure by ACES ?) ...as "approximately" 14 Kilometers (14 Km = 7.559376 Nautical Miles).

I would assume the exact math on this to be based on the QMID / LOD Grid Quad sizes and their associated sizes in Meters (on the ground and/or in-flight Altitude) in various locations within the FS 3D spheroid world model.

I am not certain yet, what the hard-coded AGN display distance limits may be in P3D, nor what "units" are for the mysterious new P3D.Cfg AGN parameters cited above, ex:

"AUTOGEN_TREE_MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE=12000.000000

AUTOGEN_TREE_MIN_DISTANCE_TO_LOD=2500.000000"

Perhaps this forum thread post might give a few clues ?

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/autogen-re-architecture-confusion-ref-03-24-14-prepar3d-v2-2-developer-blog/

NOTE: That thread references this Prepar3D v2.2 Developer Blog post on

03-24-14 by Wesley Bard:

http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2014/03/4904/

Hope this helps ! :smile:

GaryGB