Sign in to follow this  
Flyboy

Autopilot Recovery after bumping yoke or joystick... NGX737

After so many attempts to get a smooth transition on my tutorial # 1 Maiden Voyage v 8 or 10.. I cant remember)

there I was... All well... at cruise altitude and while trying to view the plane with my hat switch.... Lost auto throttle... (Light and switch stayed activated) and VNAV (light also still on)

Seemed i was able to get the LNAV going again by deactivating autopilot master switch (hidden) but the auto-throttle and VNAV, though still lit, would not return. I let the LNAV take me to the approach but had to manage throttle and elevation manually.

What is the recommended recuperation procedure in flight for this error...

I couldn't seem to find it in any of the Crew manuals provided....

I am sure some pilot has been cruising and bumped the command while eating his sandwich and all hell breaks loose....

Help on this would be appreciated... I know it will probably happen again.

thank you and happy skies....

Flyboy

the auto-throttle and VNAV, though still lit, would not return.

Not sure what you mean by this. Did you re-arm the A/T?

thank you and happy skies....
Flyboy

Full names in the forum please.

Kyle Rodgers

Guillermo

Good Evening Kyle...

No. Did not rearm... Though it was set as procedure in tutorial one pre take-off, it never engaged and I had to control thrust manually.

Regards

Guillermo

No. Did not rearm... Though it was set as procedure in tutorial one pre take-off, it never engaged and I had to control thrust manually.

If you armed it and it never engaged, it sounds like you skipped a few steps and it kept biting you during the flight. Try going through the tutorial very carefully. Ensure that the ARM switch is up and you hit the TO/GA button to start the takeoff roll. If VNAV is primed (as it should be, per the tutorial, if I remember it correctly), it will then take over for the rest of the flight.

Always remember, too, that if CMD A gets messed up, you can use CMD B.

Full name means first and last, by the way.

Kyle Rodgers

Hello Kyle..

I think the problem is solved...

For those who like to fly in VC, more than not when you reach over and click on CMD A

It does't arm and basically, when you think your in AP, you are not. Now I have a view saved in EZDOK of the FCM and I can see it turn green... and all, yes all... goes smoothly and great.

Thank you Kyle....

At least I knew the rest was done to a T. It is part of my job as an Electro Mechanical Engineer in Defense and Aerospace..... things must be done, checked and re-checked...

Redundancy is a very common word in aircraft and aerospace vehicles....

Guillermo Schleimer

This still doesn't solve the bumped yoke....

What happens when a real pilot in this new NGX bumps his yoke and the force is just enough to kick him out Autopilot?

How does the pilot reset VNAV, and Autothrottle.

the lights stay on but the autopilot seem to only keep the LNAV.

Is there a RESET procedure for the real Aircraft?

Thank you again

Guillermo Schleimer

There is not, other than simply pushing CMD again to reengage the autopilot. But the level of force needed to be applied to the yoke to disengage the autopilot is really significant, I can't see how you would accidentally do it. Just bumping the yoke sure wouldn't... I've accidentally kicked it a few times without issue lol. Most of us use the push to talk trigger on the yoke with the autopilot engaged, and you always lean on the yoke a little - no problem.

Also, just a heads up if you want to be accurate - never trust any lights on the mode control panel to tell you what mode is active - the only definitive indication of what's active is the flight mode annunciator, the area on the PFD just above the ADI. I had an instructor once that called the lights on the MCP "fantasyland" - what you're wishing for. Only the FMA tells you what you've actually got!

Edit: also, disengaging the autopilot shouldn't disengage the autothrottles - 2 separate systems.

Andrew Crowley

If all else fails, turn off the F/D's then back on. That resets most of the time.

Usually, I can simply change pitch modes. For example, to reset VNAV set it to ALT then re-engage VNAV (usually works).

Dan Downs KCRP

I think the problem is solved...
For those who like to fly in VC, more than not when you reach over and click on CMD A
It does't arm and basically, when you think your in AP, you are not. Now I have a view saved in EZDOK of the FCM and I can see it turn green... and all, yes all... goes smoothly and great.

If you're clicking CMD A and the AP is not turning on, then no, the problem is definitely not solved. Sounds like you're not within tolerances: aircraft in trim, and so on (the intro manual describes the "REALISTIC AP ENGAGEMENT" option for more detail). Essentially, you want to ensure that, when you're handing the aircraft off to the AP, you aren't putting any pressure on the yoke. That's probably why it's not engaging.

This still doesn't solve the bumped yoke....
What happens when a real pilot in this new NGX bumps his yoke and the force is just enough to kick him out Autopilot?
How does the pilot reset VNAV, and Autothrottle.
the lights stay on but the autopilot seem to only keep the LNAV.
Is there a RESET procedure for the real Aircraft?

It does, though. I mentioned earlier that if CMD A isn't reengaging, use CMD B. If you hit the yoke hard enough, it will break the shear pin (also, as described in the intro manual). This means that the AP will not engage on that side.

Have you flown the tutorials? Seems like you're struggling with some very basic AP mode stuff, and all of that is shown and explained in both tutorials. You can find them in the Start menu (Start > All Programs > PMDG > 737 > Tutorial 1/2).

Kyle Rodgers

If you're clicking CMD A and the AP is not turning on, then no, the problem is definitely not solved. Sounds like you're not within tolerances: aircraft in trim, and so on (the intro manual describes the "REALISTIC AP ENGAGEMENT" option for more detail). Essentially, you want to ensure that, when you're handing the aircraft off to the AP, you aren't putting any pressure on the yoke. That's probably why it's not engaging.

It does, though. I mentioned earlier that if CMD A isn't reengaging, use CMD B. If you hit the yoke hard enough, it will break the shear pin (also, as described in the intro manual). This means that the AP will not engage on that side.

Have you flown the tutorials? Seems like you're struggling with some very basic AP mode stuff, and all of that is shown and explained in both tutorials. You can find them in the Start menu (Start > All Programs > PMDG > 737 > Tutorial 1/2).

Kyle......

I think I wasn't clear...

Due to the movement during takeoff roll and rotate, It apparently difficult to hit the sweet spot in VC... EZDOK has head movement...

Apparently, It wasn't activating. Not due to improper settings but to not being able to properly see it... After TO/GO, Now, i switch to my EZDOK FC View where all is very clear and close... Clicking and activating the CMD A now, works. I believe in VC it was just difficult to hit the button. That is why it never activated..

I am more than familiar with the Tutorial # 1. I have flown it too many times... and successful as times.. that is why it seemed strange.... but that seems to do the trick. I just need to be close enough to hit it square and then it will light up and engage.

As far as the bumping the Yoke in real life.

What is the standard procedure to reactivate it in flight...

I am speaking not of sim but real life...

Say I hit it too hard and broke the shear pin... Temporary loss of VNAV and Auto thrust... What, Do I do to put it all back in order after scaring the heck out of my passengers...

And... Can I use the same procedure, Whatever it is, to restore AP on my NGX?

Guillermo Schleimer

thanks again for your patience....

Tip,

Set an EZDOC view for the MCP and turn off all movements(the RED lights/buttons) for that view. Makes life much easier. You can even turn of TrackIR also if you have it for that view. 

Thats how I set my MCP view. Changing Heading/ALT etc with FX is hard work. If your in wind etc.

Temporary loss of VNAV and Auto thrust.

You would not lose AT by bumping the yoke. But thats already been said.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

If you bump your yoke, (in pitch or roll), it shouldn't disengage the autopilot, but engage that mode (roll or pitch) in CWS (with some exceptions). Then if you want it back, you reselect the roll and/or pitch mode you want

Tip,

Set an EZDOC view for the MCP and turn off all movements(the RED lights/buttons) for that view. Makes life much easier. You can even turn of TrackIR also if you have it for that view. 

Thats how I set my MCP view. Changing Heading/ALT etc with FX is hard work. If your in wind etc.

You would not lose AT by bumping the yoke. But thats already been said.

thank you... That is what I had and by jumping to that view, I was able to activate it easier.

Hmm.

For some reason, I had to manually adjust thrust and elevation. the LNAV was still , trying to follow the programmed route.

Thank you again....

Did you set the throttle axis of your joystick via FSUIPC?

I dont use it.

The point is, as far as the tutorial, after I made sure CMD-a was active, all went as planned...

But one of the times, as I was trying to select external views with my hat switch, AP disengaged... which I was warned about....

I just couldn't get it back completely.. only the LNAV was doing its thing. I had to manually control my elevation and thrust after it deactivated.

I would like to find out what the "REAL LIFE" procedure says about recovery.