So I'm looking at a system replacement, and my MB of choice, ASRock Z97 Ext6, now has a $30 option to add USB 3.1 as an outboard controller.  Can't see any use for FSX/P3D, but is this something worth considering?  I assume the main use case for it is external storage?

scott s.

In lieu of anyone else answering IMHO you will only benefit from USB3.1 if you have devices that can make use of the improved data transfer speed which I'm guessing at this moment isn't many. By the time USB3.1 becomes mainstream your $30 add-on will likely be $10 to buy & fit, so I personally wouldn't bother. But if you have the cash and the inclination you'll have some additional future-proofing should you use external data transfer devices (backup drives / card readers or similar) and would be inclined to upgrade when 3.1 devices become available.

I have six or so Go-Flight modules with one of "last years" Asrock mobos with a 4790k.  One day I started having problems and could not for the life of me figure out what was wrong.  I ended up reinstalling Windows 8.1 five or so times.  It turns out that I had both Intel and some other brand USB ports.  When I put them and the usb hub in the Intel ones, they started working fine.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

I have six or so Go-Flight modules with one of "last years" Asrock mobos with a 4790k.  One day I started having problems and could not for the life of me figure out what was wrong.  I ended up reinstalling Windows 8.1 five or so times.  It turns out that I had both Intel and some other brand USB ports.  When I put them and the usb hub in the Intel ones, they started working fine.

That sounds to me like you didn't load the appropriate chipset drivers for your motherboard after installing Windows !?!

Thanks.  I'm still kind of on-the-fence as I don't really need to be an early adopter, and often these non-Intel controllers seem problematic.

scott s.