Sign in to follow this  
lowew79

j41 engine noise

I'd like to know from someone with maybe some RL experience, or even just someone who knows more than me (so pretty much anyone lol). If the engine noise in the j41 is really as loud as in FSX?

With all sound sliders at 50% (fsx default), it truly is deafening. I can't barely hear atc, and I can't hear fspassengers voices at all.

I know I can't just move the engine slider down, but then I get that annoying clicking from the altimeter needle (which I can't seem to quiet with any slider), plus it doesn't seem realistic to just turn it down.

i worked  where they were made....  they are  -LOUD-  especially outside of hangars, buildings where the sound gets reflected/amplified....

Great sound in a kind of way though...

aero

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

I researched this myself when I first started and I got the impression it is a realistic effect. If you wear a good set of headphones it helps. As you would in real life.

I have 5.1 plus headset. The sound is amazing with the engine noise appearing in front at startup and shut down and blending to the back while running.

Yes, those Garrett turboprops are very noisy, outside the plane and inside the cockpit. The 5-blade props are a bit quieter than the 4-blades on older J31/32's but you would be absolutely crazy to be a pilot on one of these without a proper headset (preferably noise cancelling like the Bose Aviation range or Lightspeed Zulu's).

As I think it would be silly to sit at your desktop wearing a headset with the engine noise over the speakers, I would suggest to just turn the engine noise down and find the audio file for the altimeter vibrator to quite that one down a bit as well.

Are you kidding?  It is loud in props, the worst one for the pax is the MU-2 with high wings and props right outside your window.  The props in the C-414 are forward of cockpit seating and it's not too bad with David Clark's on, but it is still loud.  My friend likes the noise cancelling headphones, and can afford it; I don't like them because I want to hear the engine/prop sounds.. there's been several incidents where my ear picked up something before it became an issue.  To be honest, I think the JS-41 sounds sweet, but to each their own.

Dan Downs KCRP

If I use headsets to hear ATC and FS2Crew, then I leave the sound sliders as they are. If not, then I push down the slider to about 20%, at least for my J41 flight. Then I have to remember to push it back up for my Citation X, cause it sounds like the engines are not even on! :lol:

I don't like them because I want to hear the engine/prop sounds.. there's been several incidents where my ear picked up something before it became an issue.  To be honest, I think the JS-41 sounds sweet, but to each their own.

Trust me, you can hear these Garretts just fine in the Jetstream family of aircraft, even with noise cancelling cans on. Any sound out of the ordinary still comes through and you can easily fine tune your RPM by sound alone. Actually, in my experience I've always found noise cancelling to help in the distinction of all the different engine sounds.

You never heard of the Garrett Salute?

man%20with%20fingers%20in%20ears%20yelli

Are you kidding?  It is loud in props, the worst one for the pax is the MU-2 with high wings and props right outside your window.  The props in the C-414 are forward of cockpit seating and it's not too bad with David Clark's on, but it is still loud.  My friend likes the noise cancelling headphones, and can afford it; I don't like them because I want to hear the engine/prop sounds.. there's been several incidents where my ear picked up something before it became an issue.  To be honest, I think the JS-41 sounds sweet, but to each their own.

Saving my hearing is pretty high on the priority list. Extended careers on the garrett engines dictate the use of ANR headsets. It doesn't cancel ou the noise that much that you cant hear the engine. It cancels out the lower end of the sound spectrum that causes fatigue. 

Yeah, I accept the recommendations for ANR headsets around those Garretts.  Not near as bad with the Continental TSIO-520s and four-bladed props turning at 2200, but even then I am now in retirement and listen to the TV so loud that the dog complains LOL.

Dan Downs KCRP

Heck, I wear foam plugs under my ANR headset sometimes ;-).

Well I have headphones at my cockpit/desk, but the engine sound is coming through them with everything else. May I should find a way to put the engine noise on my speakers and keep the other sounds in my phones for a more realistic, and sane, experience?

In the fsx sound setup menu you can direct the engine sounds to 1 part of your sound card and atc to another. For me it's realtek speakers and headset. If I don't use the headset the atc comes out the centre speaker in my 5.1 setup.

I was struggling to hear ATC over the engines when I didn't have a headset (was using a laptop) so I batched edited the internal engine sounds with Wavepad to reduce the volume. But the engine volume is realistic, the TPE331 engines are loud and almost no J41 were fitted with the optional ANC.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg