Sign in to follow this  
lorenzog89

DTG: What would you like to see in a new Flight Simulator?

64 bit and coding to support evolving system architecture. True multi-thread support, not just multi core. Sorry AMD. Love the thought of a new Sim!

Better memory management to eliminate OOM's would be my number one item. That might require 64 bit code and the loss of compatibility with old add-ons, but that would be OK with me.

Next, a better stock ATC which could handle more complex situations. I know that is hard, but this IS a wish list ;-).

Then a better stock flight model. The one we have is OK, but it could be better.

Optimized code to give the best possible frame rates. 

All of those would come before graphics improvements. I think the sim looks just fine as it is. I wouldn't object to it getting prettier, but that isn't essential to me at this point.

- Bill Magann

For me, it's simple -

1. Level up the ATC, WX, flight model, and autogen realism including traffic
  2. 64-bit, DX11 with the engine overhead to expand that
  3. Take advantage of multicore/multithreading, DDR4, 3- and 4-way SLI
  4. DO NOT turn the new sim into a GAME.  Perhaps "game" settings and "realistic" settings.  I appreciate that DTG is asking for our opinion.  However, having used MSTS for years and liking the physics engine that drives it, I recently purchased the DTG Train Simulator.  Needless to say, it no longer resides on my computer.  Nice graphics, total lack of realism from a physics and real world standpoint.  Not bashing, just asking ahead of time, because if DTG makes a sim that doesn't at least equal a semi-"loaded" FSX install (REX, RC, AW, PMDG or Majestic, ORBX, etc running), your only market will be the casual or game simmer.

Thanks for asking for our input.

Kev

Improvements and features that I'd like to see in a new sim:

1. Better graphics engine - 64-bit, better memory management, DX11 or DX12

2. Improved ATC - automatically assign SIDs and STARs where available, improve vector approaches by fixing bug where ATC gives multiple course headings causing one to turn back and forth unnecessarily and fixing the issue where ATC makes you fly 30+ miles from the airport before vectoring you to final approach, have ATC more realistically give altitude commands instead of the current model where they do this only within 300 feet of the currently assigned altitude, add speed instructions, add the ability to use different voices based on location.

3. Add the ability to easily update the sim's database of navigation aids, waypoints, SIDs and STARs, airways, etc.

4. Improved AI traffic behavior - prevent go-arounds due to planes trying to land on the same runway at the same time by having ATC actually manage AI aircraft speed and spacing, add the ability to easily change the speed of ai aircraft when taxiing, and the speed of cars, ships, and trains.

5. Add AI trains - make this like AI aircraft and ships so that users can make custom models and route plans.

6. Improved weather-related graphics - volumetric clouds, VC rain drops and effects(e.g. water running down the windows), cloud shadows, ice/snow accumulation effects.

7. Improve the sim's scenery model - allow the use of custom autogen for any number of areas instead of having to refer to a single master autogen file or single master terrain.cfg file, allow the use of custom landclass for any number of areas by allowing multiple landclass lookup tables, use a true round earth model and stop the stretching and shrinking of the scenery tiles as the latitude changes.

8. Interactive ground crew - communicate directly with ground crew for pushback, power hook-up, jetway extension/retraction, etc.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

A sim where not a single FS9 or FSX piece of software would work.

A sim that makes use of modern hardware, obviously. The FSX engine is severely outdated. This would also remove potential OOMs (out of memory errors).

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

All of the above....but most of all a sim that runs well where you do not have to tweak..everything.....

A sim for 2016..taking advantage of the modern hardware...

Thanks

And much extra revenue for DTG will  those developers earn? Remember, DTG isn't a charity  - it's a hard-headed businees.

A sim with a thriving ecosystem of addons is going to last longer and build a bigger community than any walled garden approach.  Put up more than the most basic control gates to enter the market and you will just end up with DCS:Civil, with a handful of producers and a tiny market share, or worse, Flight V2.  Freeware doesn't really seem to bother the pro addon developers either way, at least outside X-Plane there are very few freeware developers that can compete with the better pro stuff.

Thriving ecosystem = more potential DLC buyers, which is the business that DTG are really in anyway.

Or, radical thinking, SDK free for non-commercial use?

64Bit Multicore for sure so that we don't deal with OOMs and get better performance. Use modern hardware!

Extremely realistic graphics to the point where we don't need to buy addons to make our sims look better. I'd rather spend a lot on one flight simulator that's amazing than spend a lot on addons to make a sim better. I think we can all agree on that, and I think that's very important. This includes default airports, ground mesh, textures, colors, volumetric clouds, engine/wind condensation, realistic atmospheric rendering, realistic runways, jetways at airports that look real along with buildings, trees, roads, cars, you name it. It's 2015 and none of the flightsims that we have look good when compared to modern simulators or even games. That being said, this should be a simulator and not a game.

Realistic airplanes with pretty good systems programming. This should be good out of the box. If you're going to make a flight simulator then the graphics and the airplanes should be realistic, period. That's the point. It should look and fly realistically, with realistic systems programming (it doesn't have to be PMDG or A2A level, obviously, since that would take forever. But it should be close enough where those users are satisfied, too.)

Real flight dynamics. Again, this should add to the realism and can't be compromised. 

Open to third-party support. PMDG, A2A, etc. 

This simulator should be brand new. It shouldn't include FTX Global or ASN or anything like that that already exists. It should be better out of the box than FSX with 50+ addons and make use of new hardware. 

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

A sim with a thriving ecosystem of addons is going to last longer and build a bigger community than any walled garden approach.  Put up more than the most basic control gates to enter the market and you will just end up with DCS:Civil, with a handful of producers and a tiny market share.  Freeware doesn't really seem to bother the pro addon developers either way, at least outside X-Plane there are very few freeware developers that can compete with the better pro stuff.

Thriving ecosystem = more potential DLC buyers, which is the business that DTG are really in anyway.

Or, radical thinking, SDK free for non-commercial use?

Exactly my point.

Moreover, an open platform would not stop DTG to produce and market their own addons in any way.

A sim where not a single FS9 or FSX piece of software would work.

This!. I think its the only way ahead if we want to move forward.

Working with 3rd parties and allowing an open ecosystem rather than forcing a single DLC route.

64bit.

- Make the basic sim and let add on developers do the rest

- Work close with the major add on developers from the very beginning on

- real physics effects (particle / collision)

- procedural scenery ?

- make a smooth running sim

- realistic lighting / shadow effects (day/night)

- realistic global weather model and local weather effects

- realistic flight dynamics for all regimes

- good sound engine

- forget backward compability

Walter

Extremely realistic graphics to the point where we don't need to buy addons to make our sims look better. I'd rather spend a lot on one flight simulator that's amazing than spend a lot on addons to make a sim better. I think we can all agree on that, and I think that's very important. This includes default airports, ground mesh, textures, colors, volumetric clouds, engine/wind condensation, realistic atmospheric rendering, realistic runways, jetways at airports that look real along with buildings, trees, roads, cars, you name it. It's 2015 and none of the flightsims that we have look good when compared to modern simulators or even games. That being said, this should be a simulator and not a game.

This simulator should be brand new. It shouldn't include FTX Global or ASN or anything like that that already exists. It should be better out of the box than FSX with 50+ addons and make use of new hardware. 

I have to say that's a big ask. You want that for every major airport around the world? And the whole world's scenery? I can't see anyone having the money or time to develop a sim with all of that, for the whole world, and still be cost effective. It's far easier to make a very detailed map when a) it's not based on real environment, it's made up, and B) doesn't cover the whole world. ARMA 3, for example, has two very detailed maps, but they are just 2 maps and that's it. They are also made up maps so no need to be accurate to anything other then what they say.

You're also asking for what add-on developers have spent months/years developing to be included in not only a new sim (new code) with new flight dynamics but also new planes and scenery as well as making the thing work. If you want a brand new sim, not utilising FSX code, that is years of work already and I suspect they will be improving, and replacing FSX code. I really don't ever see us moving away from third parties giving us the very high details in the areas we want such as planes and scenery. And let's be honest, I don't want very high textures of, say, Indonisia if I'm never going to fly over it. For one, the size of the sim would be HUGE

64bit

A freely available SDK with no licencing restrictions for 3rd party Devs

Updatable Navdata

Sloped Runways

Better ATC system with regional voice packs

Better Weather system

Cloud shadows

Crespucular rays

Comprehensive support for external hardware via a much improved simconnect/Fsuipc

Sadly we will get none of this, but I think we already know that, nice to dream though.