Sign in to follow this  
lorenzog89

DTG: What would you like to see in a new Flight Simulator?

My wish list, in order of priority:

1. Fully exploit the compute environment: both CPU cores and GPU compute resources.  Give us something worthy of the computer it's running on, even if it has 4 cpu sockets, with each running a 10 core Xeon, and 4 graphics cards.

2. Fully exploit the graphics environment.  I am so tired of sims that look so 2006 both inside and outside of the VC.

3. Provide a means for 3PD to customize specific features well beyond their out-of-box capabilities.  Consider it a modular system, where the features of an affordable and usable base package can be extended to the nth degree of fidelity by such addons, e.g. aircraft/flight models, ATC, weather, traffic, terrain.

4. Shadows everywhere as they are IRL

5. Rain and snow that actually resembles these, both from inside and outside the VC.

6. Quality, quality and then even more quality!

7. No looking back!  It's time to cut bait on the past; firmly kick FSX and P3D in the teeth!  Consider the "Field of Dreams":  if you build it, they will come.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I think the only vital thing that needs to happen is a proper SDK, or anyway all proper instruments that third party devs need to start releasing content.
And the whole world coverage, even at FSX level. That doesn't matter to me, third party content will be there for it, same for planes and helicopters.

So to summarize, i want them to build the core on which third parties can expand the original offer.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Here's my wishlist

1.Raindrops on windshields

2.Animated Passengers modelled

3.Better autogen LOD

4.ATC that respects MSAs,STARS and gives vectors reliably

5.The ability to generate random missions on the go with rewards

6.Feedback on how I flew the aeroplane

Cheers

Jay

A sim where not a single FS9 or FSX piece of software would work.

Exactly.

I have to say that's a big ask. You want that for every major airport around the world? And the whole world's scenery?

There should definitely be world scenery. Do you want to fly over fake airports and fake cities?

As for every world airport, I'm talking about library of jetways, realistic looking buildings (you can see through windows from the cockpit into the buildings), realistic runways, volumetric grass etc. Gas pumps for GA airports, hangars, etc. But every airport doesn't have to be exact. I think there should just be library where every airport could use realistic looking stuff. 

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

Ah I see, my apologies I thought you meant accurate for each airport. Yes I agree, better detail across the scenery. To release a new FS with the sames cenery as FSX released would be taking the biscuit I feel

Realistic air movement and weather.  In flight, an airplane is lifted, dropped, tipped in various ways all the time.  We don't see that much in the sims.  Wind management in FSX is very, very poor.  In clouds there should be all sorts of air movement.  In bad weather, it should be downright dangerous.

Just gotta comment on this one....

My wife & I, owned an airplane and lived next door to the airport. This allowed us to be somewhat choosier about out flight time.  If the weather kind of sucked, then forget it. We flew many cross country flights from one state to another. While in flight, we had a few terms for the flight conditions. It was either an FSX day, or X-Plane day.  There were many FSX days, in which the flight was amazingly smooth and calm. Here we're doing aprrox. 200+ mph across the ground, and it doesn't even seen like we're moving. The ground just seems to move slowly underneath. In fact, the air was even smoother than a train on rails ride. So much for flying like on rails!  Although many morning flights were like this, it could usually develop into an X-Plane turbulent day, as the ground warmed up. This was always more noticeable in the summer months. Evenings could easily calm down again.

I personally don't much care for computer induced turbulence. It really does annoy me. If I want bad simulated weather, I'll use some adverse real weather, or summon the turbulence by choice. I just don't want my simulated plane always bouncing around because some designer thinks airplanes have to fly that way. Even on those turbulent days, I was able to pick & choose different altitudes in search of smoothness, because I had an oxygen system aboard. My plane was capable of easily obtaining altitudes just below 18,000', because it wasn't IFR equipped.

No problem codechris.

Also, I think the weather and other visuals should be good enough so that we don't have to use REX to make clouds look better, FTX global to replace the ground textures, etc. I know the look of a simulator is a highly subjective matter but for the most part we know what is pleasing to the eye and what's not.  For example, ground textures and clouds should be amazing-looking from the start. Flight physics should be much better than FSX/P3D, too. I mean, this really has to be something beyond our expectations. FSX/XP could be so much better, and I'm hoping Dovetail really makes this next simulator much better and different from anything that's out there currently. They should be setting the new standard with this, especially since they've got a team working on this. 

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

Everything else is secondary to this:  Build a flight simulator for the next twenty years, not the past twenty years.  Backward compatibility should be off the table.

Beyond that, you have to realize that flight simulation is a niche market.  If your goal is to sell 50 million copies of something, then you should be working on something other than a flight simulator.  If you want to build a flight simulator, then your goal should be to own the niche.  It's my opinion you can't own the niche without offering robust 3rd party support.

If I were taking the lead on a project like this, I would consider my role to be the custodian of the framework and would focus my resources to that end.  I'd deliver a solid, open base and make my money by providing updates that optimize the framework and adapt it to new technologies as they become available. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but over the past ten years I would have gladly paid for updates to FSX if those dollars would have translated into more realism and/or better performance.

Finally, take a look at the recent winners and losers in the gaming business.  If you build an empty shell of a simulator/game with the idea of milking the public with your own DLC, you'll most likely wind up with another SimCity or Flight.  However, If you build a solid base that appeals to flight sim enthusiasts and work from there, you'll own the niche for the next twenty years.

Richard P. Kelly

Just gotta comment on this one....

While I agree, there are those days when the air is very calm...and it certainly does get calm above the lowest cloud deck, the majority of days there was some air movement below it.  It's not turbulence...rather normal air movement.  It keeps your hand moving the yoke...little adjustments.  See this video and many others like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGfqfUv9tto

A couple of other basic needed things:

• Properly working mixture.
  • Working turboprop model.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

While I agree, there are those days when the air is very calm...and it certainly does get calm above the lowest cloud deck, the majority of days there was some air movement below it.  It's not turbulence...rather normal air movement.  It keeps your hand moving the yoke...little adjustments.  See this video and many others like it.

That's another point I'd like to discuss. It can be us, as the pilot who is making small corrections, or simply the ailerons or elevators getting bounced around, which actually moves the stick or yoke, due to cables or push/pull tubes.  Our hand is just along for the ride. We don't have to actively use a countering control input to every bounce from yaw or roll. It just "looks" like we're busy..............when sometimes we're not. 

That's another point I'd like to discuss. It can be us, as the pilot who is making small corrections, or simply the ailerons or elevators getting bounced around, which actually moves the stick or yoke, due to cables or push/pull tubes. Our hand is just along for the ride. We don't have to actively use a countering control input to every bounce from yaw or roll. It just "looks" like we're busy..............when sometimes we're not.

Yeah, sometimes.  Here's a Piper Seminole landing where the movement is more apparent, though, you don't get to see the pilot's hands as often...

I'd add that I did some experimenting with writing an add-on app to that simulated air movement around the airplane.  It appears that what FSX does is to update the wind effect on the aircraft about every half second so that you're not really flying through a continuum of fluid air.  That's probably why it doesn't give the 'floating' feel as much as a real plane.  Also, vertical movement is always either up or down for the whole airplane...either in an up thermal or a down thermal so there's no turbulence roll, really.  It was a real disappointment and I shelved the add on.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

A sim where not a single FS9 or FSX piece of software would work.

Amen to no backward compatibility. It will take a while for addons to come, but a fresh start is needed at some point.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

FS9/FSX style ATC.  Would be nice to see FS9/FSX GPS type of navigation for those of us who enjoy LITE jets like the ones from CLS and default jets.

Road traffic, boats, trains. 

Progressive Taxi

Looking forward to this new sim.

VERY friendly and modern interface

Minimal loading times

Volumetric clouds, if possible.

Seasonal weather and textures. (possibly procedural, so the seasons can actually change on the fly)

Support for all types of aviation from jets to pistons to helicopters.

Support for modding.

Recognizable world landmarks. (not generic rectangles everywhere)

64 bit support

Support for advanced OpenGL or DX12

Strong support for scripted activities (missions)

In program store and high attention to ease of updating and adding additional features. Do not allow the marketplace to go hog wild and flood the sim with questionable add ons that don't work together. STANDARDS.

Advanced lighting and other effects, (volumetric smoke, fog etc)

Strong 3D sound engine

OSM interface capabilities, and roads can no longer be flat ribbons across the ground (see X-plane 10)

High fidelity collision and damage models.

Full night lighting.

Robust Multi-player support with in program communications.

Support for social media interactions. Gatherings and personal pilot avatars.

Flight training activities for beginners.

High resolution detailed cockpits

Living world. (Swaying trees, weather effects, birds, dolphins)  :smile:

Thats enough for now just off the top of my head. I'm sure you will be inundated by many other requests for detailed systems of various complexity, so I wanted to put in the bid for things that hold the interest of other types of flyers as well.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5