Sign in to follow this  
FSMuseum

FS9 - Shouldn't I Get Good Performance?

Hi All,

I've posted at DeltaVirtual and Flightsim, posting here to ensure I can get as much support as I can.

I just got a new system.

Dell XPS 8700

Intel i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz Turboboost 4.0 GHz

NVIDIA GTX 745

16GB DDR3 RAM

1TB SATA HDD

I put FS9 on it a few days before, and did two flights the next day, with a whole host of addons and programs and whatnot. Barely ever went below 40 FPS

The day after, I did a flight after restarting the computer and the framerate would not climb above 30 - 35 no matter what. I did next to nothing besides install a single scenery (BluePrint KIAH) and a couple aircraft (Wilco E-Jets, ERJv2, and CRJ). I have Avast as AV and have turned off realtime scanning, I have tried to disable weather and/or AI and virtually no difference at all (I have noticed that bringing AI down to 90% seems to get some more frames for some reason, why I do not know). I don't know what to do.

I've added the PMDG MD-11 and 747, iFly 747 for testing, Wilco E-Jets and ERJ 135, 145LR, and 145XR, and CRJ, and a couple freeware planes. I have Ultimate Traffic (original) modded to include newer AI models (AIA, FAIB, etc.) and run it at 100%.

When all was well, I was flying around ImagineSim KATL v2 with full AI and some clouds with about 30 - 45 FPS, which still seems low for thus system, now I'm struggling to maintain that in almost any stage of flight with any aircraft under any circumstance. When all was well I did a flight in the E145XR with about the same weather and was 50+ FPS almost the whole way

Windows did a bunch of updates when I restarted as they tend to do, but I don't know how or if that is related. Windows has a couple more updates it wants to do as well.

I decided to allow Windows to do updates again (it apparently hadn't finished the first time) and I did an update of my graphics driver. Everything seemed okay briefly, I took the PMDG 747 up from LAX on the way to AMS and FPS seemed right where it should be, around 40 - 60 FPS. That only lasted for that flight

Yesterday, I loaded at KLGA and when looking at the main terminal my FPS plummeted to under 20. That is not something I would expect at all out of this computer, given that I could overview the entirety of ImagineSim's KATL v2 before with 150+ planes on the gound and consistently get 30+ FPS. My FPS also seems to take a notable decrease when I used Active Sky Evolution's Refresh AI Traffic feature, and FS9 completely freezes the exact moment I open the kneeboard no matter what. What's going on?

I have no idea what the issue could be and I REALLY don't want to have issues with framerates AGAIN, or have to reinstall, or get a new computer, or upgrade, or any of that.

My old Alienware laptop with an i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz ran better than this before its motherboard began dying!

I really really do not want to have to reinstall if I can avoid it. I just hate doing that and it has very rarely ever solved problems for me.

I don't really think I should have to turn down the sliders, the whole point of getting this computer was so that I could run FS9 virtually unlimited. If an i7-3630QM @ 2.4Ghz can do it, why can't my i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz?

I've also tried disabling Intel SpeedStep, fine tuning some NVIDIA Inspector settings, do the Alpha fix, switch out UT for WOAI, reducing traffic slider (which actually gained me a few FPS at 90% but I don't see how or why I should have to do that), I'm losing my patience, seeing as the whole point of buying this PC was to be able to run FS9 as I had always dreamed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Chris

FS2004 Forever

Look at my specs, under my profile.  I am getting a constant (at lock) 29.9 FPS...

You should be getting no less with your system.  Try a complete system defrag. Then fly again...and see what happens!

Ses

You can try defragging like Ses mentioned if you're not running it on an SSD.

Maybe you accidentally enabled shadows.  When you enable both shadow options, your fps will take a pretty big hit.

The airports you mentioned are not very fps friendly.  KATL has a lot of ai.  When you're at KLGA, you have to remember that KJFK is very close and the traffic from there will affect your performance.

When you said your fps dropped, are you comparing it at the same airport and not after you installed the airport add ons?

Chris it is not clear whether you have applied the 9.1 patch.

I suggest you run the free programs Process Explorer and Process Lasso, several video tutorials on YT.

Hi all,

I defragged and do run the FS9.1 patch.

In the end, I ended up reinstalling (which fixed a few other strange issues I was having... weird). I also have my FPS set to 30, and almost always get that now. ImagineSim KATL v2 with PMDG MD-11 brings 30 FPS with 100% WOAI unless I look at the traffic from the VC, in which case is drops to about 20 - 25. Not what I was hoping for but it seems it shall have to do. Thanks all anyways.

Chris

FS2004 Forever

I'm not saying you are Chris but a lot of flight simmers are so anal about framerate.

I used to be like that, panicking if the fps rate fell below 35, then I had an epithany.  Forget all about framerate and don't ever look at it during flight.  If the display looks good and it's not juddering, leave well alone and enjoy the view.  Don't fret if it drops 1fps, it won't matter a jot.  believe me, I've been there and done it and got the tshirt.

My current system is locked at 30fps and, as far as I know, doesn't dip to the point where it judders here, there and everywhere.

I'm not saying you are Chris but a lot of flight simmers are so anal about framerate.

I used to be like that, panicking if the fps rate fell below 35, then I had an epithany.  Forget all about framerate and don't ever look at it during flight.  If the display looks good and it's not juddering, leave well alone and enjoy the view.  Don't fret if it drops 1fps, it won't matter a jot.  believe me, I've been there and done it and got the tshirt.

My current system is locked at 30fps and, as far as I know, doesn't dip to the point where it judders here, there and everywhere.

+1

I notice some people are very sensitive to fps (me included).  I can easily tell the difference between 30 and 60fps while a lot of people I know can't.  I started to notice this back in the mid 90's when I was a kid always going to the arcade and playing games on consoles. 

I have my FS9 locked at 60fps.  It's much lower when I'm flying complex jets, but only enough for me to notice and not take away my enjoyment of the flight.