Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[07MAY15] Detailed discussion of resolved 777 VAS leak...

By necessity, scenery takes up far more VAS than the airplane does.

Not to sidetrack the thread (absolutely excellent post that'll help folks understand the VAS problem) I'd add this.  I think that the VAS used by scenery is much worse than it needs to be.  It seems that any 'hand placed' scenery objects are never freed once loaded by the sim.  If correct, that would mean that, when you land, your departure airport is still taking up VAS.  I was flying (FSX) with Xtreme Cities X - USA SouthCentral (a massive amount of hand-placed scenery) loaded and flew over Dallas and watched my VAS climb to just under 4Gig.  I set my heading and flew for another hour and the VAS never went down.  VAS continued to slowly, slowly climb...probably due to the small fixed buildings and antennas along the way.  If P3D can get that 'behind you, too far away' memory freed our precious 4Gig of space might be able to handle much more than it currently can.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I think that the VAS used by scenery is much worse than it needs to be. It seems that any 'hand placed' scenery objects are never freed once loaded by the sim.

Exactly.  The code that loads scenery does a very bad job of taking out the trash after the scenery is no longer needed.  This was just sloppy programming by a very small team at Microsoft, who was probably constrained by tight budgets and schedules and the need for eye-candy a higher priority than building a platform that would be relevant for at least the next decade. To Microsoft, it was just a game.  My faith is in Lockheed-Martin to take it into 64b using modern development environments to produce a product that professionals will admire.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for that detailed elucidation, Jim. I now get a better understanding. I've done all the Updating sequence, etc. It was the mention of long-haul VAS that grabbed my attention, because that is a bane of contention for me at the moment in P3D.

Rick-

I am not well informed enough about P3D's VAS management to comment with authority- but I think the problems in FSX and P3D are similar- but different.

With some luck, DTG and Lockheed Martin will independently sort them out- and then we can all go back to enjoying our sims.  B)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Robert,

Many thanks for all your efforts. I am already getting used to reloading my B777-300ER over un-busy airspace!

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Rsrandazzo, thanks for that comprehensive and impressive post. Thank you indeed, Sir.

Best regards.

John.

• I have a question more on the operational/procedure side of flying the 777.

- Prior to departure you had to load an approach with a heading-to-radial-intercept maneuver.

- That heading-to-radial-intercept maneuver had to be in a specific location in the missed approach procedure.  (Presence alone was not enough- it was also related to location of the maneuver...)

I am assuming the procedure described above is one that is already programmed in as part of say the Navigraph procedure data and not a manually programmed procedure.  I wonder if someone could post a chart of the type of procedure above that this refers to.  thanks.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

• I have a question more on the operational/procedure side of flying the 777.
  •  
  •       - Prior to departure you had to load an approach with a heading-to-radial-intercept maneuver.
  •       - That heading-to-radial-intercept maneuver had to be in a specific location in the missed approach procedure.  (Presence alone was not enough- it was also related to location of the maneuver...)

I am assuming the procedure described above is one that is already programmed in as part of say the Navigraph procedure data and not a manually programmed procedure.  I wonder if someone could post a chart of the type of procedure above that this refers to.  thanks.

Take a look at the missed approach procedure for KLAX ILS 25L and 25R, those were two of the troublesome approaches. (And I'm wanting to say KJFK ILS 22L also maybe, don't have my notes in front of me.)

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Take a look at the missed approach procedure for KLAX ILS 25L and 25R, those were two of the troublesome approaches. (And I'm wanting to say KJFK ILS 22L also maybe, don't have my notes in front of me.)

OK got it, thanks.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

That certainly explains the one time I had a VAS crash with my 777. 

That certainly explains the one time I had a VAS crash with my 777. 

Glad my findings could help!

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I am surprise by this update , only now i found out about it. I kept getting OOM fallowing the same procedures describe above. Do i have to Login at PMDG Website and download the full installer for both Base Pack and 300ER or can i download the update at PMDG -OC?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

If the oc is telling you that you have updates for  the t7  than you need   to  go to your pmdg account  and download both installers since  you cannot update using  the oc   for these updates.

You got  2  choices   to  do  the updates  using  the repair method or  doing  the full uninstall/reinstall method  which seems  to be  the best method  as it  seems that using the repair method  could cause  some issues.

Before doing  the uninstall   first run the oc   first so it  saves your liveries etc which will install them again for  you after you have  done the install  by running  the oc  again and it  will ask you if you want  to install your ;liveries

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg