Sign in to follow this  
Alan_A

Washington DC flyover tomorrow - anyone attending?

Wondering if anyone who lives in or near Washington DC (or anyone who's visiting) is planning to attend the WW II flyover tomorrow.

If so, what do you think the best vantage point will be?  I live here, but am still trying to figure it out.  Torn between the Mall and maybe the Kennedy Center balcony (that's just before where they'll make their turn from the Potomac toward the Mall over the Lincoln Memorial).  

For those not able to make it, there'll be a livestream on the website (linked above) and a live broadcast on warbirdradio.com.

But if you're going to be there and have good line-of-sight recommendations, please post.

Thanks!

I won't be able to make it, but do you know if they did a practice flight today. I saw/heard some planes flying in a formation earlier that I couldn't identify (although they looked like old WWII aircraft) and assumed their was something happening, but didn't know what. 

do you know if they did a practice flight today

I believe there was a practice flight today though I'm not sure where - probably around the airports rather than over the Mall, though I could be wrong.  There are a couple of posts about it on their Facebook page - haven't had a chance to look at them in any detail (trying to get work out of the way ahead of my very important client meeting at noon tomorrow... B)  ) but maybe there's some more detail there.  

EDIT: Judging by the videos, they've been practicing today at Manassas and Culpepper.

I live next to KHEF and have been watching these folks all the past week - I stopped by yesterday and there were two B-17Gs, a B-29, and a B-24 on the ramp.  It was a media day so there were TV crews everywhere!  Local TV will be streaming the event... go here http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/05/world-war-ii-planes-to-fly-over-national-mall-friday-to-commemorate-70th-anniversary-of-ve-day-11380.html for more information and the URL for the streaming webcast.

DJ