Sign in to follow this  

Hello Captains,

I'm going to be moving my rig away from the entertainment area where it's been running on a 60" plasma.  I love the size, but now I'm craving a wider field of view.

I'm thinking about getting an ultra widescreen monitor (the one from LG) or use 3 monitors.  So far I'm leaning towards the ultra widescreen because I know the vertical borders from using 3 screens will drive me nuts.

My questions is, how much performance will I lose on average if I went with ultra wide or 3 monitors?  The ultra wide is 2560x1080.  If I went with 3 screens, it would be 3x 1920x1080.

This is for FS9/FSX.

Thanks

I thought about one of those ultra-wides, but in the end I decided that it might feel too vertically constrained.  This is the same reason that I quit running 3 x 24" screens.

I ended up going with a 32" 2560x1440 screen.... It's really amazing to fly in, you get the same wide view as one of those ultra wides, but you don't lose out on the height.

I'm sure there's a performance hit somewhere, but to be honest, I lock at 30, and I have yet to see any impact of moving to the higher resolution.  I also haven't flown anywhere in anything that's been super demanding either...

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks Jimmy.  The LG I'm looking at is 34" but only 1080 resolution.  I haven't actually gone out to look around yet.  I'm sure the stores will have something with higher vertical resolution.  I'll keep that in mind and will definitely go for it if available.  They all seem to be priced about the same as well at around $600.  I'd love to have a curved one but too expensive. 

e LG I'm looking at is 34" but only 1080 resolution. 

I was looking at that.. I wish we could have that plus two 4:3 monitors left and right of that. But Nivdia drivers require same three monitors..not heterogeneous resolutions.

I have 3 x 24" Dell and I will not part it for anything..its been the best..but ofcourse I do have a cockpit for gauges so the ht is more than adequate for me. The only thing that would make my setup better is if I have the LG 34" extra wide + two other monitors besides that + Frensel lens in front of all three.   :lol:

8057392002_8acddef80d_o.jpg

I'd like to have this

Curved center 3440 x 1440 pixels

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PXYRMPE/ref=psdc_1292115011_t3_B00JR6GCZA

And 2 of this   2560 x 1440 at 60Hz pixels

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2515H-25-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00SPWPF1O/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1431040582&sr=1-7

and Nvidia driver supporting this hetro resolution. A full 180+ degree 

:P  :lol:

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Beautiful cockpit, Manny!  I wouldn't mind having 3 screens if I had a cockpit like that.  That's too bad about not being able to use different resolution monitors as your sides.  I see you have some Saitek stuff like the instrument display.  I'm planning to get some of those in the next month or two.  I have the multi panel and switch panel. 

Thanks for the link on the Dell.  I didn't come across that model while searching online.  It's much cheaper than the other curved ultrawides.  I'll probably save up a little more and get the curved Dell.

i am using 3 x 24 dell tfts @  1920x1200 but in portrait mode (3840x1920) You loose a bit of the horizontal viewing angle but gain a lot on the vertical side. this means you get a nice big instrumentpanel in the vc which makes flying a lot easier for me. combined with trackIR i am pretty happy. 

Kind regards
John 

I would be really interested in knowing what graphics cards you guys running these high resolutions are using, and if possible what your video card memory usage is. Running a single screen in FSX graphics memory usage is about 1GB, I'd guess this is a fair bit more when you are pushing 3 times the amount of pixels but would appreciate your feedback based on your knowledge and experience.

I would be really interested in knowing what graphics cards you guys

I have GTX 670 FTE with 2GB. Its ok  No issues.

Manny

Thanks for the additional info, guys.

Whatever I go with will be running off a GTX560 but I'm not worried about video memory.  I fly FS9 and FSX.  My FSX is set up to look and run like FS9.

GTX560

I don't believe you could have wide view (2D surround) with 3 monitors with the GTX560.

You need minimum  GTX6xx card for 2D Surround

Manny

I am running a gtx 760 with 4gb vram. Performance is okay. No headroom for fancy filter settings though.

Kind regards
John 

I don't believe you could have wide view (2D surround) with 3 monitors with the GTX560.

You need minimum  GTX6xx card for 2D Surround

Are you saying I can't run 3 screens on a GTX560?  What a bummer.  I've always thought that you connect the output to the splitter and set fsx wideview to 1 in the cfg.

Will the GTX560 at least detect and render the higher resolution of the ultrawide screen if I only use one?

I've always thought that you connect the output to the splitter

What do you mean by using a "split er"? You mean using something like Matrox triplehead 2go?

Yes you can still use that with your 5xx card. i.e if you have a Matrox triplehead2go lying around already

But things have developed and moved on to new things... with the GTX 6xx,7xx and 9xx cards you don't need no stinkin external device like the Matrox. You connect from the 4 outs of a single card to 4 monitors..and then through the nvidia driver settings you assign the three identical monitors to to one single wideview called Nvidia surround. so you have 3+1

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#1

Manny

Are you saying I can't run 3 screens on a GTX560?  What a bummer.  I've always thought that you connect the output to the splitter and set fsx wideview to 1 in the cfg.

Will the GTX560 at least detect and render the higher resolution of the ultrawide screen if I only use one?

From the Nvidia spec sheet The 560 natively supports a maximum resolution of 2560x1600 which isn't really sufficient for multi screen use unless you're using a couple of smaller screens that are no wider than 1280. I guess the Matrox THTG gets past this, but I still think it's a big ask of the card.