Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Will installing fscuip help with ctd?

i just downloaded the fscuip and installed it. I did not register the product. Will it still help crash to desktops?

I am currently experiencing ctd with blue sky scenery and a LOD of 6.5. Went from klax to klas with the Pmdg ngx and right before I hit the last 20 miles from klas I got a ctd. Thanks

The registered/unregistered version will trap g3d.dll errors only.  On page 3 of the AVSIM CTD Guide, it shows you how to set up the FSUIPC so that you can monitor the VAS (Virtual Address Space) usage which I think was the cause of your crash(es).  But that's not a long flight from KLAX to KLAS so just guessing.  One of the neat things I use the FSUIPC for is to monitor the VAS and, when the flight is finished (or it crashes), I go to the FSX/Modules folder and look for the fsuipc.log.  It will tell you your VAS usage as well as how many fps you used during the flight.  Landing takes up an enormous amount of VAS depending on the aircraft and scenery.

Since you are using Blue Sky scenery, I hope you are aware that all photo scenery will load whether you are flying over it or not.  So, if you have Blue Sky scenery or other photo scenery located elsewhere in your scenery.cfg, make sure it is disabled.  That will complete destroy the amount of VAS remaining.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Since you are using Blue Sky scenery, I hope you are aware that all photo scenery will load whether you are flying over it or not.

I don't know about Blue Sky Scenery, but it's not the case that all all photo scenery will load whether you are flying over it or not. For example, my UK VFR Photographic Scenery for England totals 90GB on disk. All of that can't load in a 4GB VAS.

Greg, check the error messages and/or event viewer logs for your CTDs.

If they are OOMs (Out Of Memory, that is nearing the 4 GB VAS limit), FSUIPC can't prevent them. As Jim stated, FSUIPC is very beneficial to FSX-MS for other reasons, though. Unless specific addons require the registered version, the "freeware" version should do.

I don't know about Blue Sky Scenery, but it's not the case that all all photo scenery will load whether you are flying over it or not. For example, my UK VFR Photographic Scenery for England totals 90GB on disk. All of that can't load in a 4GB VAS.

You are absolutely wrong Gerry.  Read around page 21 of the PMDG Intro Guide prepared by Tabs and some input with Word Not Allowed.  Of course it does not load all of it into the 4GB VAS.  But it is loading in the background as you fly.  Look at the AVSIM CTD Guide and set up Process Monitor to only show what is loading in FSX and FSX addons.  It will tell you.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yeah from my klax to klas flight with the Pmdg 737 and fsdt klax and with 20 blue sky tiles and LOD of 6.5 I guess it's bound to happen.

Would it help if I pretty much turn everything off when I am just using BSS? Like for example, orbx openlc Europe? And other airports in the world.

Hopefully now that I got the unregistered fscuip installed I should hear that beeping alert for when the vas is about to run out.

Thanks guys.

Disabling openLC and other airports won't help much. See if you can turn off other photoscenery, or scale down AI traffic and/or autogen (BSS doesn't have autogen but the airports probably).

If nothing else helps, go with a LOD of 5.5 instead.

With FSUIPC you can also set up a constant readout of free VAS in the FSX title bar - check out Jim's CTD guide!

Yep just gotta get home and try it. There are times when ya just wish someone could come up with some kind of flight sim engine to work with modern day pcs.

Thanks guys

Of course it does not load all of it into the 4GB VAS. But it is loading in the background as you fly.

As I said, it does not load all of it into the 4GB VAS, but where then does it load in the background?

When I run FSX with the default C172 and UK VFR Photographic Scenery, SysInternals VMMAP reports that I  used 1,207,660K VAS on the ground. Those numbers change to 1,267,292K at  5000 ft and 1,271,416K at 9000 ft. That's still only some 30% of the available of the 4GB VAS.

As I said, it does not load all of it into the 4GB VAS, but where then does it load in the background?

Have no idea Gerry.  Could it be your system swap file (which is not VAS)?

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Just tested it out again. Asn had a ton of clouds though. My LOD was still at 6.5. Landed with 2 gb. Never crashed

Have no idea Gerry. Could it be your system swap file (which is not VAS)?

My swap file (pagefile.sys) with FSX and 90GB of UK VFR Photographic Scenery is only 3,987,312K - that's about 4GB.

You seems to have missed my post #9 where I showed that my Photographic Scenery only used 1.8GB of the available 4GB of VAS

I don't what is actually loaded but i do know that it can't obviously load  90GB. As I said, I got 1,271,416K (1.27GB). That wasl only some 30% of the available of the 4GB VAS.

I don't what is actually loaded but i do know that it can't obviously load  90GB. As I said, I got 1,271,416K (1.27GB). That wasl only some 30% of the available of the 4GB VAS.

Perhaps the following explanation from PMDG will help:

"Here are some of the more common causes of high VAS usage we’ve identified:

Large amounts of photoscenery areas

Products that install photoscenery for whole US states or whole European countries are a particularly high source of VAS usage when a lot of them are enabled at once. There are several such packages on the market and all of them will exhibit this issue. FSX unfortunately allocates VAS for these areas *even if you are not flying over them and never go near them*. We have observed almost instantaneous OOM errors upon loading our products on customer PCs where they had for instance the entire eastern United States photoscenery installed. Disabling the photoscenery reduced the total VAS load by well over 1GB and allowed the simulator to function normally. Users have reported success with photoscenery and our products by enabling only the states or countries their route passes over. Use Process Explorer to monitor VAS and see if this works for you.

To the best of our knowledge the reason this happens is because photoscenery uses a unique texture for every single area within it. Normal FSX scenery uses a small group of textures that get repeatedly used via the landclass system. Having to precache and allocate for the presence of that many textures is likely at the root of the problem.

Here is a link to a very good open source utility called SceneryConfigEditor that will allow you to make groups of scenery areas that you can turn on or off with a single click:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor"

Taken from - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM