Sign in to follow this  
neucoas

Help me to decide, ORBX region

Hi guys, i want to own a full ORBX region, but i can not decide which one.

I want a region to get the best experience of textures+vector+mesh+landclass

I mostly do VFR flights, but sometimes i like to get into a jet.

All the ORBX regions seem to be awsome but preety small for jet liners (PNW, Norway), so my first choise 'd be Australia, as it covers the whole country (enought to do regional flights), it has custom free mesh. 

But its the oldest one, and it does not has and upgrade in the airports... Also i could not find if the regions has mountains, and some airstrip to land in there.

Others regions like the rockies seems to be most waste land... England is to "flat" for me..

So guys please help me to choose!

Cheers :)

N.-

Scotland + FTX Global?  It's a great scenery (even by Orbx standards), plenty of mountains, oddities like Sumburgh and Barra, and global to make the occasional trips to the rest of the UK or Norway more bearable?  You could add the Scotflight fields to make VFR even nicer.

I will have never consider Scotland, but seems to be a beatiful place to fly!

Australia is poor in detail compared to the most recent regions?

N.-

For your requirements - Norway - endless mountains and fjords, plenty of challenging approaches and landings.   And if you want longer regional flights, well, Bergen to Tromso takes around 2+ hours in a 737 :wink:    ....... has many dozens of small fields but if you want larger or regional you have Bergen, Stavanger, Trondheim, Tromso, Bodo, and of course the capital Oslo.

It's also one of their newest regions, so you get all the latest tech.

.....oh and it's absolutely stunning!

I have Scotland as well,   Flying from FTX Sumburg Airport Scotland across the sea into main Scotland is well worth the purchase.     

For your requirements - Norway - endless mountains and fjords, plenty of challenging approaches and landings.

Yes Norway would be a certain purchase really,  has all the niceties with it.  I don't have it yet but i plan to get it by the end of the month.

I would buy it quicker if there were some Norway Airports as well.  Anybody here of plans for any? 

First of all, accept that once you get a region, you are going to want them all. And they are pretty cheap this month, so...

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about Australia, yes the airports are not included as other regions have, but that's just because Oz was meant to be flown with the OzX freeware, which covers approx 95% of available Aussie airstrips. Combine that with Ant's freeware strips, the half dozen orbx freeware airports, and a few others and you'll be set.

For sheer flying diversity, I would pick up the New Zealand regions. lots of good mountainous terrain and small strips. Some bigger cities like Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch, and Queenstown for the jet flying.

For NA and Eur, it's hard to say that you could be happy with just one or two regions, unless it's Norway. Northern and central Rockies have tons of good bush flying, as does Southern Alaska (probably the best single region in NA). And sak does encompass Anchorage and Juneau and a half dozen other airports that Are serviced with 737's that you wouldn't necessarily think would be tube liner airports (gustavus and yakutat for example)

None of them are bad though, it's a pretty safe pick wherever you go.

I would buy it quicker if there were some Norway Airports as well.  Anybody here of plans for any? 

Orbx are developing (a smaller) one, but also you have Bergen 2.0 X, Stavanger X, Oslo 2.0 X, Trondheim X and Tromso X, all excellent and all from Aerosoft.

I vote Southern Alaska. I can't wait until they complete the entire state. It's just *the* bush flying mecca.

Im into Norway or Scotland... i will think tonight and take a desition tomorrow...

Thanks guys!! Im still listening to opinions

N.-

I like Norcal, if you can afford the addon airports they sell for the region like Redding, Monterrey, san Carlos and Lake Tahoe it makes for great flying between them all. And a short hop to their Palm springs.

Tough choice. ^_^

I'm biased to NRM, since I live within it, however, I've likely spent the most hours in PFJ. That said, SAK is brilliant, and NCA is even more so.  NCA is probably becoming my favorite region for GA.  One of the nice points about NCA is that the upgraded default airports are really, really well done, to the point where some of them even have small details like custom ground markings.

I also have Scotland highly fleshed out, with everything available for it installed from Orbx, Sim720, and UK2000, and enjoy it greatly as well, however I mainly only ever fly helicopters there.

Like I said, pretty tough!!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

First of all, accept that once you get a region, you are going to want them all. And they are pretty cheap this month, so...

Truer words.....I almost never fly outside of Orbx regions anymore. 

I'm somewhat biased towards PNW as I live in that region.

If you are set on just one region then Australia gives you a lot of choices and the most freeware airports.  I got that region last Christmas and am still only scratching the surface.

You might consider PNW and NCA.  Seattle to San Francisco.  Vancouver B.C. to Sacramento,  Portland to Redding. 

Really though, If the area you live in is covered by a region or are personally familiar with the area covered by a region I'd start there.  It is rather fun to fly in areas that you are already familiar with and have or potentially could actually visit.  I live several miles from a modeled airport and visited once out of curiosity and it was interesting to walk around a place that I already felt like I knew

That being said I'm debating myself, Norway and eventually the rest of the Europe regions, or finish off Oceania with NZ:North Island.  Whilst debating over A2A planes that are also on sale.   

Orbx typically has a sale twice a year, so once May is up don't expect another sale until December.  If you buy now and love it you can add another region or two before the end of the month which will likely give you plenty to explore until December.

Orbx are developing (a smaller) one, but also you have Bergen 2.0 X, Stavanger X, Oslo 2.0 X, Trondheim X and Tromso X, all excellent and all from Aerosoft.

Cool,  thanks Craig.

Yes just give in to temptation now and pick up a few bits and bobs,  Its easier on your brain and much more fun to  B)

And dont forget Torp Sandefjord

Cheers!

Maarten