Sign in to follow this  
neucoas

Help me to decide, ORBX region

I'm still a fan of PNW.  Lots of really nice Orbx airports there and the variety of the land keeps it interesting.  My suspicion is that a New England region would be equally as popular.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

And dont forget Torp Sandefjord

Yes, good point, Torp too.

My suspicion is that a New England region would be equally as popular.

Absolutely!  I'd love Orbx to go to the east coast, and hope they will.    Imagine, Maine, Vermont, NY State, the Appalachans, etc.  Would be fantastic, and in my opinion it;s just as beautiful an area as the Pacific West Coast.   (but sufficiently different to justify both).

I think I'd rank all the Orbx regions that I have (which isn't all of them) as follows:-

1). Norway

2). Pacific North West

3). Scotland

4). Southen Alaska

5). England

6). Central Rocky Mountains

7). Wales

8). Australia

9). Northern Rocky Mountains

None of them are 'bad' and for some (like NRM or AUS) it's simply that they're so vast, and I don't know the regions well enough to know where to go in them, for the best experiences.

I like Norcal, if you can afford the addon airports they sell for the region like Redding, Monterrey, san Carlos and Lake Tahoe it makes for great flying between them all. And a short hop to their Palm springs.

+1.  I can testify to the accuracy and the feeling of "being there" for this combination.  In the RW, I flew this area for twenty-some years and ORBX nailed it. 

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

Well.. I dont live in any orbx region, and i think that orbx will never createn it. :P

I want a región that gives me the most diversity, farms, mountains, fjords, cities etc

I cant decide, all regions has something amazing.

Cheers :)

N.-

Absolutely!  I'd love Orbx to go to the east coast, and hope they will.    Imagine, Maine, Vermont, NY State, the Appalachans, etc.  Would be fantastic, and in my opinion it;s just as beautiful an area as the Pacific West Coast.   (but sufficiently different to justify both).

I think I'd rank all the Orbx regions that I have (which isn't all of them) as follows:-

1). Norway

2). Pacific North West

3). Scotland

4). Southen Alaska

5). England

7). Wales

8). Australia

None of them are 'bad' and for some (like NRM or AUS) it's simply that they're so vast, and I don't know the regions well enough to know where to go in them, for the best experiences.

Hi Craig,

I'm very surprised that you have Norway as your favorite region. Most of the reviews I've read about FTX Norway were underwhelming. I'm now considering it as an add-on. I'm still using the freeware NORWAY package.

I also read that some of the Aerosoft payware airport add-ons are not fully compatible.  Are the Aerosoft airports fully compatible?

Just in case anyone needs the links to the Norway FREEWARE sceneries, adapted to ORBX Norway:

https://onedrive.liv...E64DC8923CA!105

https://onedrive.liv...20C179DFEC!2532

If I had to select my favorite regions, I would choose PNW, Northern California, and NZ South/North.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Haven't tried Norway, but about to after seeing someone post it as their favorite.

My advice when flying ORBX is to adjust your monitor or use a program like SweetFX to fix their under-saturated colors (mainly green). They distribute this stuff with green being too brownish of a green, their summer textures for mountains look more like mountains in LATE summer or Early Fall before Fall Colors (when the mountains start to go brownish green).

The best regions are the ones where you buy the airports and get the most PR areas to fly with, that gives you the best graphics anyhow. With airports, CRM is really good for the few airports it has, but the textures in the other CRM areas aren't always great. Some good nice looking airports are Juneau, Jackson Hole (cause you get the Teton range in PR), Redding, and Bozeman (to name a few)... I think Stewart (CZST) is still possibly ONE of the best graphically as far as scenery goes (definitely not for buildings). I did not care for NCAL as much as others do, I think the textures leave a LOT to be desired in NCAL. I have about 20 airports?, lost track... Don't have Palm Springs though.

If we are talking pure textures and POP with DEFAULT airports, I'd have to rate it something like this:

----I am rating these areas PURELY on textures and graphics, not on other stuff.

1) Scotland, Ireland, or Southern Alaska - Because the ground textures look better than most other Orbx regions, and the mountains aren't as ice-creamy looking as PNW. I cannot remember if Scotland or Ireland was better, but any of those three are IMO still the best Orbx has done, and I am somewhat of a graphics person. I haven't flown Norway yet, but have every other area (I think). The other advantage of these three is their is always surrounding OCEAN very close or some island penninsula things to fly to.

2) PNW, and NRM are all of a similar quality, they both have similar textures (quite repetitive textures, but some nice areas)

---The thing about PNW and NRM is they look better with AUTO-GEN SET extremely DENSE, whereas Scotland, Ireland, and Alaska look good even when Auto-gen is not set as densely. That is why I prefer those three above to these two here.

3) CRM a bit different looking textures, but very repetitive. If you fly around Eastern Oregon and over to Idaho, there are some nice areas, but a lot of the textures are not great in the BETWEEN spots. Cascade, ID to Bend is a pretty cool flight, but say West Yellowstone to Boise might put you to sleep (as an example). KJAC to Bozeman is fun. I rate CRM higher than PNW if you turn auto-gen down. PNW looks better with Auto-Gen because of more TREES.

4) NCAL - Some good spots, but some of the textures are just way too washed out here, not sure what they were thinking, as I've seen California many times from a plane and it's just WAY WAY more colorful than they made the textures to be.

5) New Zealand? ---- Ok this is pretty far below #4 I think, it's ok but it's very repetetive and very ice coney looking.

6) Australia is hard to rate because it's so large of an area with so many varying textures, but the VAST majority of it I did NOT care for the textures.

Don't know about Norway or England, will know later.

If you want value for your money, get Australia. The whole continent in great detail and pickup a couple of Orbx airports. This summer Flytampa will release YSSY and all that will be left is a better performing YMML (orbx is a fps hog) and someone needs to do Perth YPPH! Take the Carenado PC-12 and fly for Royal Flying Doctors. Or PMDG 737 fly for Virgin or Qantas. Or just put put around in a small prop heading out of a city to a smaller airport. OzX has freeware airports for Australia. I say try that, and it will give you enough enjoyment for a year of flying.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

If you want value for your money, get Australia. The whole continent in great detail and pickup a couple of Orbx airports. This summer Flytampa will release YSSY and all that will be left is a better performing YMML (orbx is a fps hog) and someone needs to do Perth YPPH! Take the Carenado PC-12 and fly for Royal Flying Doctors. Or PMDG 737 fly for Virgin or Qantas. Or just put put around in a small prop heading out of a city to a smaller airport. OzX has freeware airports for Australia. I say try that, and it will give you enough enjoyment for a year of flying.

From what I've seen of Australia, it is the least graphically well done of them all, but it is a large area so haven't flown it all. I think most people rate AU lower than the others?

1). Norway

2). Pacific North West

3). Scotland

4). Southen Alaska

5). England

7). Wales

8). Australia

Craig, i have read that Norway is heavier in FPS than other regions... What is you opinion? Norway is my first choice ATM

N.-

Hi Craig,

I'm very surprised that you have Norway as your favorite region. Most of the reviews I've read about FTX Norway were underwhelming. I'm now considering it as an add-on. I'm still using the freeware NORWAY package.

Hi Jose,

The thing is, you'll read positive and negative reviews for any region.  The vast majority I've seen for Norway have been positive.   Certainly, as someone who owns the product, I'm surprised anyone could view it as anything other than a stunning Orbx region.   The Norway Freeware stuff is excellent, but for me, Orbx Norway is a big improvement, and well worth the money.   

Craig, i have read that Norway is heavier in FPS than other regions... What is you opinion? Norway is my first choice ATM

I can say, definitely, that for me, Norway is the most FPS-friendly scenery of all of the Orbx regions.   PNW can be heavy as a lot of it is around 'heavy' areas like Seattle and Portland.   NCA is so dense that I find that a little heavier too.    ENG is heavy because of London and again, dense scenery.    The most FPS-friendly Orbx sceneries in my experience are AUS and NORWAY.    And Norway is a much newer product, with new textures and newer Orbx technologies.

My advice when flying ORBX is to adjust your monitor or use a program like SweetFX to fix their under-saturated colors (mainly green). They distribute this stuff with green being too brownish of a green, their summer textures for mountains look more like mountains in LATE summer or Early Fall before Fall Colors (when the mountains start to go brownish green).

Could just be a difference with computer systems and the monitor.  There is a day & night difference between the graphics & look of colors between my old system, and the new. By default, the Orbx summer "greens" are varied, and very rich in color. They look real good!  That's the new system of course. I use to think the old setup was okay, but a side by side comparison is an eye opener.  

My monitor is pretty close to Rec709, but even a bit over saturated or too high luminance compared to a perfect D65, and the greens are still muted other than maybe Alaska. I also had to adjust green on a projector and 2 other devices, so not just my monitor.

In reality, green is very bright in the mountains almost anywhere in the summer in the US after the monsoons other than the driest desert areas. Especially the mountains of NCAL, Orbx representation of NCAL looks more like the pine forest of Arizona than California, the Redwood forest area and the Northern Coasts are much more of a bright green than what Orbx shows.

Norway is definitely "the right colour Green", IMHO ! :smile:

Norway is definitely "the right colour Green", IMHO ! :smile:

So, the winner is NORWAY

Cant wait to take my cub and explore the Fjords !!

Thanks guys!!

N.-