Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Windows 10 Will Be The LAST OS

Super..."Windows as a Service".  I see lots of additional costs, perhaps a monthly / annual subscription, Linux never looked better!

Ian R Tyldesley

Sounds like windows 7 will be around a long, long time........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Windows 7 was the last OS. BTW, I wanted to add that MS is now touting a technology that will allow its paltry bunch of mobile devices to run Android and iOS apps. Methinks Goliath is done.

Well (after reading the entire article) I think this is all about Microsoft changing how it delivers Windows. The idea that there will be incremental updates as opposed to complete replacements is IMO a positive step.

As stated in the article, "The developers would be locked away and out would pop a product based on what the world wanted three years ago."

and

"It doesn't mean that Windows is frozen and will never move forward again," Mr Kleynhans told the BBC.

"Indeed we are about to see the opposite, with the speed of Windows updates shifting into high gear."

Who cares if it's Windows 15 or Windows 10.15?

Wow, lots of blind hate and negativity here. Let's break things down a bit and think everything through.

First of all, what's actually changing here? The number of supported platforms is the biggest thing here - one common OS for all devices, with a UI catered to each one (this may not be a big deal to most of us here, but the last part of that should make most happy). Next, I'd say the user experience. What about it exactly? Well, having used the Technical Preview (now referred to as the "Insider Preview") on my development PC for the past few months now, I'm noticing a continued focus on UI consistency. Modern Apps (referred to as Universal Apps as of 10) are no longer full screen apps, but are integrated almost seamlessly with proper  resizable window borders, as if they are Win32 applications. There is now a notifications center, which stores a list of the notifications that appear from the system tray (we all know how easy these are to miss). A "Settings" Universal App is becoming the new home for all PC settings, which so far seems to be working towards being a modernized and more user friendly Control Panel. A hybrid of the Windows 7 and 8 start menus has been created and is still being developed/improved. It retains the basic concept of 7, but combines the actually quite useful grouping and customizations of 8's menu. Another really neat feature that isn't quite done and I've not used much as of yet, is Cortana -  a voice assistant. I'm not sure on all that "she" can do yet, but she will likely be more useful for those with phones and tablets.

In the world of application development, the .NET Framework is getting some serious attention. Not only is .NET going open source, but it is also going cross-platform - support for Mac and Linux is being added. This is fantastic news for us software developers who want to more easily port our applications that utilize Windows-native functions to the other two primary platforms out there.

What don't we know yet? Windows 10 will be a free upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 if you do so within the first year of its release. But, what happens after this? I worry that it might become a subscription, but at the same time, that could have been poor wording by the Microsoft employee from that article. Considering all that I've stated above, Windows is becoming a huge platform. It's no longer an OS with one purpose - it's "serving" anyone no matter what type of device they're looking for. Perhaps the word service here is actually referring to the way they want Windows viewed - not its pricing model. We'll know for sure in the next few months if what AMD said is true about a July release.

Windows 7 was the last OS.

Why? 8 is an operating system just as much as 7 is. The only usability change with 8 was a single menu, after all...

Brandon Filer

"Windows will be delivered as a service bringing new innovations and updates in an ongoing manner,, "

AKA....   DLC.. or.. revenue stream..  or.. Fleecing.

And they went with "10" because "8" was such a disaster.

Meh.. Win 7 is great. No need to give them 100+ for 10, then a monthly, recurring fee to "update" it after whatever "service" they come up with..

It's not "hate" so much as it is corporate greed.

I uninstalled the "recommended update" for W7, aimed at promoting W10 on my current system (= MS "bloatware"/"adware" plugin). No W10 until terms and conditions have been laid out clearly and reliably. Microsoft hasn't become what it is by being selfless and providing freeware ...

EDIT: Further info on the MS recommended update for current Win7/8 users.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/466723-everybody-must-read/

Edited by olli4740

Microsoft hasn't become what it is by being selfless and providing freeware ...

I think the idea is that they want EVERYONE to finally upgrade to a single version, rather than being scattered across 8, 7, Vista, and XP. Their money comes from people who purchase Office 365 and other apps via the Microsoft Store app.

Brandon Filer

That may their idea, but those days are long gone. Windows 10 is not likely to be be significantly different than any previous version of the OS. And the market has moved on to iOS and Android. It not a question of "hate" but rather MS being late and not recognizing trends in their own industry.

To get everyone, for free, to change to Windows 10 and then suddenly make it a subscription service at a later stage would be an unmitigated disaster. I don't see this happening at all. I'd have to agree largely with HughedMDflyer4. As for the market having moved on? Microsoft are simply positioning themselves to be able to move with the market and compete on even terms. It's the smartest thing they've done in a long time.

To get everyone, for free, to change to Windows 10 and then suddenly make it a subscription service at a later stage would be an unmitigated disaster.

I never underestimate Microsofts ability to walk into a disaster.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There is no point in debating this. Too many comments unsupported by facts. So what if Windows becomes a subscription. What if it's 10 dollars a year. We spend thousands of dollars on addons, some of which are poorly constructed, unintuitive or don't do what they were designed to accomplish. And yet we trash Microsoft at every opportunity. What is this about?

What would be useful, would be an objective comparison between the two. Even then, there will be those who don't like the new OS. That's ok. But wait til you know what you don't like. I think that even if Microsoft could release perfection, there would be those who would trash that perfection.

Why don't we jist wait til it releases, put it through its paces and debate that? There are a lot of otherwise reasonable and thoughtful posters who get off the rails when discussing Microsoft.

What is this about?

Its about customer choice. The same choice that made the vast majority reject windows 8

Why don't we jist wait til it releases, put it through its paces and debate that? There are a lot of otherwise reasonable and thoughtful posters who get off the rails when discussing Microsoft.

That's fine too, but there is not a thing wrong about placing a marker for the things we simply won't accept. For many of us, one of those things is a subscription based model. Thats simply not open to debate. I don't care if the OS does my laundry and walks the dog in the evening.

I feel the same about in-app purchases, and that has nothing to do with Microsoft specifically. To put some perspective on that, how many people here pay for antivirus and how many use free, or whatever comes from their internet provider instead?

How many people are using office 2003 and avoiding the heck out of the new subscription based model?

Subscription OS (if that is indeed what MS is hatching) Is something I will avoid just as stringently as I avoid office 365

Devons rig

Hey Devon,

You make gpod points. I am not suggesting that 10 should be accepted or rejected. That is indeed choice. My concern is that where Microsoft is concerned, there is a tendency to "ready...shoot...aim".

I can't imagine Microsoft is going to alienate its customer base further by charging an unreasonable price for the future Windows platform(s). Furthermore, by all accounts, 10 is better than 8 (start menu is back, no controller dropout, DX12, improved command prompt, augmented reality, etc). 8 was better than 7, but customers were put off by the bungled user experience. That was pretty dumb on MS part. It not only hurt the business, but also took focus away from what made 8 better.

Finally, 10 will be a free upgrade from 7 or 8.1.

I do appreciate your comments. I am only suggesting that we wait until the dust settles before we pronounce. There are a lot of very good minds that frequent this site. I will be very interested in what they have to say about Microsoft's product and plans are...once they are known.