Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Panel Switch sounds - how are they assigned?

I wanted to edit some panel switch sounds, but find I can't find where the current sounds are coming from. Can anyone help?

The panel.cfg has  this, for instance:

gauge01=crj.toggles.steel!NavLights,  553,16,27,41

So I looked at the crj.toggles.steel.cab file and opened up the NavLight.xml file in a text editor. This shows:

<Gauge Name="NavLights" Version="1.0">
   <Element>
      <Select>
         <Value>(A:Light nav,bool)</Value>
         <Case Value="0">
            <Image Name="switch_off.bmp" ImageSizes="27,39"/>
         </Case>
         <Case Value="1">
            <Image Name="switch_on.bmp" ImageSizes="27,39"/>
         </Case>
      </Select>
   </Element>
   <Mouse>
      <Help ID="HELPID_GAUGE_LIGHT_SWITCH_NAV"/>
      <Cursor Type="Hand"/>
      <Click>(>K:TOGGLE_NAV_LIGHTS) (>K:TOGGLE_AFTERBURNER1)</Click>
   </Mouse>
</Gauge>

There is no information as to a sound. Nothing in the aircraft sound.cfg file of course.... So where else could the click sound be specified for the Nav Light switch in this panel?

There's probably an obvious answer, but I can't come up with it!

Thanks

Is this a commercial product who's gauge code you're posting?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

It's a freeware panel I have had for ages, but I am afraid I don't know where I got it. Probably AVSIM library, but I'd have to check all my gauge file zips to be sure (they are in the UK, and I am not), or search the library for a panel with the same files...

Your panel is using the late Bill Morad's original xml sound gauge.

It uses the afterburner events to trigger sounds.  It dates back to FS2002.

A quick search here, flightsim.com and at simviation.com did not turn up the original uploaded gauge.

I don't know much more about it than that.

Ok... that makes it easier, knowing what we're dealing with.

Based on what I'm seeing, there's but a single audio file being used for the sound. Now all you have to do is figure out which one.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

OK, thanks first for identifying the gauge. It may well be.

all you have to do is figure out which one... Haha - yes, I guessed that far :rolleyes: I had already searched my drive for all .wav files called anything with 'click' in the title, and some sound the same as that generated by the panel switches, but replacing those sounds makes no difference at all to the sounds produced. But see below, as I did find where the click sound comes from...

I asked the question for two reasons - firstly to be able to edit the click sound of these particular switches, which is much, much too loud... But also because I do make my own, simple xml gauges and might want to try adding sounds to some of them.

"It uses the afterburner events to trigger sounds"... Would you possibly be able to explain what that means? How does the 'afterburner event' create a sound like a click (some of the other metal switches in the same panel make different sounds). I can only see this mentioned in other threads in relation to Bill Morad's gauges...

In this case, the gauge I posted, I have found the click sound is part of the gauge XMLSound.gau, which appears as a gauge listed in the panel.cfg file - if I disable that line with //, then there's no click when I reload the aircraft. I'd need to go to FS panel Studio or something to tone down the sound in the gau file itself (??) - or is there a way in fact?

More to the point (for my learning curve) - is it possible for me to disable the XMLSound gauge as above and then add my own specified click (or whatever) sound to the xml gauge which I posted originally? Not in my 'comfort zone' here at all.. I read somewhere that I'd need Doug Dawson's (any relation to Pete??) 'dsd_fsx_xml_sound' to do this, so I will download it in the meantime and see what I can achieve...

Thanks

Based on the contents of a couple of panel archives in the library here, you're probably looking for a file named whm-sound1.wav

The xmlsound.gau listens for the afterburner events.  When it detects that one of them has occurred, it plays the corresponding sound. (whm-sound1.wav,  whm-sound2.wav, whm-sound3.wav, whm-sound4.wav)  I don't think there is anything more to it than that.  You could edit those sound files to suit your taste, of course.

xml itself does not support sounds.  Your only choice is some type of addon gauge or module, written in C, that will play sounds when your xml gauge says that it should.  Bill's gauge uses the afterburner events as the signalling mechanism between xml and his gauge.  My gauge, available here (www.douglassdawson.ca) uses xml L:VARS as the signalling mechanism.  A word of warning though, beginners invariably find my gauge very hard to wrap their heads around.  If you're not comfortable with xml, then you will probably have more fun flying the Canarsi approach with an engine out.

Doug

:rolleyes: Thanks Doug - I already have your gauge in my Gauges folder, but having browsed for how to use it, and read a few relevant threads, I think this may indeed be a bit beyond me. I am pretty good at creating and tweaking  in some areas of FS, but this ain't one of 'em! Still, I will try to add a ping sound or something to one of my own little xml gauges and see if I can make it work over the next few days.

I know the whm-sound1.wav file as I use it in other gauges. If I edit the sound, it'll be universal of course, but I can have a look.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Martin

Edit.. and yes, it was indeed the whm-sound1.wav, which I have backed up and replaced with a softer version. I should have recognised that wav file as I hear it a lot one way or another..

Many thanks once again!

As a matter of clarification, aside from these two gentlemen having the letters "D, w, s, o, and n" in common, there's no known relationship between Doug Dawson and Pete Dowson... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Oh, yes, it's Pete Dowson of course. Am currently off work sick, dosed to the eyeballs with antibiotics, so am not thinking quite straight!!