Sign in to follow this  
Marty Kwan

Failed to start the engine of the 777

I tried to do a flight with the 777-300ER today,but I have no luck in starting the right engine of the plane after multiple trials.I presume it is because of the failure of the fuel control valve,no fuel was drained from the right wing tank.I got N1 and N2 ratation,normal EGT,oil pressure,etc,except fuel flow.I got ZERO fuel flow on the right engine.I've checked the failure page in the "PMDG options",but nothing was showing active.So I am writing to report this issue to the PMDG team.I also captured some pictures of the panels too,I just don't know how to put them on here.Thanks!

I presume it is because of the failure of the fuel control valve,

Full names in the PMDG forums please.

If I understand you, you are saying an engine is running normally but it's not using fuel?  At ground idle only or is there normal thrust for taxi and takeoff as well?  Is it possible that you have a corrupt panel state?

Dan Downs KCRP

No,I am saying that the engine cannot be started,it remains with only limited N1 and N2 rotation with no fuel flow.Therefore,I guess the cause is the failure of the fuel control valve, because I can see that no fuel is feeding to the right engine in the fuel page.The left engine successfully started and I can see fuel is feeding it.By comparing the situations of both engines,I deduce fuel control valve failure is the cause.

Actually what I concern most is that EICAS was showing nothing,and even the failure page of the "PMDG Options" also didn't show the failure at all.That's why I guess it is a programming issue.

Full names in the PMDG forums please.

Sorry, I was confused when you said normal as in ".I got N1 and N2 ratation,normal EGT,oil pressure,etc,"

Normal start is to click fuel control on once oil pressure is indicated. Everything else about the start is automatic if you are following checklist procedures.  A programming issue?  How many of these do you think would be sold if the engines didn't start.... please, try to keep an open mind and let us try to help you figure out what you are doing wrong.

Add a name and we'll get you started.

Dan Downs KCRP

not sure but you could use the cross feed valve to see if that helps.  your fuel pumps could be turned off or not working

I am sure that 4 wing tank fuel pumps are on,maybe it's the fuel pumps not working,but I checked that there is no failure showing on the FMC.

A screenshot of the overhead panel might shed some light.

your pumps are on from that screen shot but the cut-off fuel valve seems to be off on the right engine

Is the fuel control knob behind the right engine throttle in the run position?

Yes,it was.Actually,I was stuck on the taxiway and tried a couple of times to start the right engine.So I am pretty sure that fuel pumps are on,fuel control valves are on.The left engine were successfully started in each time,but the right one didn't.

A screenshot of the overhead panel might shed some light.

I am sorry but I didn't capture a photo of the overhead panel.However, I am sure that it was correctly set,no yellow lights shown on it.

Marty, the Fuel Control is in the RUN position but the fuel schematic shows that the valve is closed so it's time to look in the FCOM.  Page 7.10.27 indicates that the switch in the RUN position will ARM the valve, which is then controlled by the EEC (Autostart); therefore, it looks like the valve is ARMED but not opened.  Make sure your EEC is in the NORMAL position (7.10.30).

Please also review the EEC Autostart abort criteria on page 7.20.11.  For example, start time exceeds start duty cycle then it will not try again for 30 sec.  There is a list of items for you to rule out.

The FCOM is your friend. 

Dan Downs KCRP

Marty, the Fuel Control is in the RUN position but the fuel schematic shows that the valve is closed so it's time to look in the FCOM. Page 7.10.27 indicates that the switch in the RUN position will ARM the valve, which is then controlled by the EEC (Autostart); therefore, it looks like the valve is ARMED but not opened. Make sure your EEC is in the NORMAL position (7.10.30).

Please also review the EEC Autostart abort criteria on page 7.20.11. For example, start time exceeds start duty cycle then it will not try again for 30 sec. There is a list of items for you to rule out.

The FCOM is your friend.

Thanks for your reply.Yes I checked that EEC was in normal position,and every attempt of restarting the engine has about 2-3 minutes separation to its previous one.

Still not clear on your problem.  Is this a problem every session, occasional or just once?  Is the flight a saved flight that you load using default panel state or your own panel state. When/if you upgraded to current version (1.10.6492) did you remove previous installation before installing or did you install on top of previous installation (upgrade)?

I suggested a corrupt panel state in my first post, did you rule that out?

You may always submit a trouble ticket to PMDG Product Support, please report the fix back here in the user forum for the next user this happens to. Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP