Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Can you restrict the brightness of daylight

Sorry for dredging up this thread, but I would like to know if there is a way to restrict the brightness of daylight in P3D. Chris Bell (The Night Environment bloke) told me that I could use those "Day_Threshold=" and "Night_Threshold=" statements for this, but they did not work as I expected. What they did do is change the times at which airport and other lights are switched on and off.

So, I am still searching for an answer to my original question. Is there a way to restrict the brightness of daylight in P3D? I would like to stop it getting any lighter once the Sun has risen a short distance above the horizon. The reason for this is that my UK photoscenery looks too bright and "garish" in broad daylight. I much prefer the subdued (and vastly more atmospheric) tones near dawn and dusk. Can anyone help me with this?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Christopher

i believe Day_Threshold and "Night_Threshold don’t hold true in P3D,

the issue your experiencing is rooted in P3D HDR and Tessellation features;

turning these off at night will give you the atmospheric color tones you are looking for,

LM team is working on improving these functions

It isn't night that I am worried about, Chris. I want the light level to be restricted during the day.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I am not convinced that will help me, Chris. I don't use HDR lighting.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

do you mean, you have HDR turned off?

if so then you’re pretty much back to the day/night threshold settings in cfg

try to experiment with day threshold setting and lower settings to 55000 (max daylight is 65535 at noon, keep night at 0)

this may or may not be what you’re looking for; i am little confused at the moment

the above in fsx will give you less bright days (in other word longer twilight times to compensate

65536 is the highest brightness the day will have, lowering this number; means less brightness during day time hours

Increasing night threshold from 0 up will give you less dark night times

Think of it like analog watch

Day threshold =65535 as 12 at noon

And Night threshold=0 as 12 midnight

I hope this hellps

I have been experimenting with the "Day_Threshold=" statement in P3D, and it does absolutely nothing. I can set it to "0", and the daylight is just as bright as default. I think I am going to have to take this to the Lockheed Martin P3D forum.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

that’s a good idea;

I’ll keep an eye for this topic (for personal interest)

What kind of hardware are you on?

Why not change your display settings? My displays have 4-5 different settings I can customize. I have one for a bright summer day, one for jet black flying at night, etc. Just a thought.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I have already fiddled around with my display settings, but that doesn't solve my problem. I need to find a setting that reduces the overall brightness of daylight in the sim.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png