Sign in to follow this  
propsfan

Android Status Update – Testers Wanted!

I wish they'd stop with the "gift" updates - XPX is old now (by software standards)

Focus on XP11 that implements lots of the things we all have banged on about forever and charge us again so that mobile isn't the only thing still making money.

I have to disagree with everyone who says that the desktop version isn't progressing. I have an OS X alpha version of 10.40 (direct from Austin himself), and every time I report a bug, it is quickly fixed and I get sent a new one. I can't give out much details, but there are some cool new stuff in 10.40 that really make it worth looking forward to. X-Plane 10 will last at least a year and a half more, and that's a conservative guess. FSX devs are only just beginning to jump over to X-Plane, and maybe just for that, Laminar Research might just keep XP10 alive longer than they wanted to to rope in more developers. We can expect a run up to maybe .68 or .70, just like X-Plane 9. 

X-Plane always has had about a five-year development cycle; news about XP11 has already trickled in over the past eight months or so, such as interviews with Philipp Muenzel on German sites, Ben Supnik's little teasers and such. We just have to wait. And if they say mobile is a money-spinner, well, why not? It helps fund X-Plane 11, makes it better... I see nothing wrong. Heck, I started using the mobile version first. When I learnt there was a much better desktop version, I immediately switched over. I still use the mobile version for fun, but it ropes newcomers in too, like it did me. I don't really see the issue here. 

I have to disagree with everyone who says that the desktop version isn't progressing. I have an OS X alpha version of 10.40 (direct from Austin himself), and every time I report a bug, it is quickly fixed and I get sent a new one. I can't give out much details, but there are some cool new stuff in 10.40 that really make it worth looking forward to. X-Plane 10 will last at least a year and a half more, and that's a conservative guess. FSX devs are only just beginning to jump over to X-Plane, and maybe just for that, Laminar Research might just keep XP10 alive longer than they wanted to to rope in more developers. We can expect a run up to maybe .68 or .70, just like X-Plane 9. 

X-Plane always has had about a five-year development cycle; news about XP11 has already trickled in over the past eight months or so, such as interviews with Philipp Muenzel on German sites, Ben Supnik's little teasers and such. We just have to wait. And if they say mobile is a money-spinner, well, why not? It helps fund X-Plane 11, makes it better... I see nothing wrong. Heck, I started using the mobile version first. When I learnt there was a much better desktop version, I immediately switched over. I still use the mobile version for fun, but it ropes newcomers in too, like it did me. I don't really see the issue here. 

Good to know. Makes perfect sense!

I have an OS X alpha version of 10.40 (direct from Austin himself),

Same here, but the version I have unfortunately only has Austin's fixes (i.e. The most important beings winds aloft) and none of the scenery stuff. 

...but 10.40 gives me a huge framerate increase on the latest Mac OS X. I have no idea why, but I'm not complaining

Absolutely nothing wrong with mobile if that is a money-spinner, I just wish they would make desktop their priority; we often seem to be waiting on mobile development and that is what frustrates people.

...but 10.40 gives me a huge framerate increase on the latest Mac OS X. I have no idea why, but I'm not complaining

+1 to this, although I'm not on Yosemite (bleh, Helvetica and bright pastel colours), but still on Mavericks 10.9.5. Even on a HD 3000, I can suddenly get 35 FPS on medium-ish settings.

I have an OS X alpha version of 10.40 (direct from Austin himself)

I appreciate you sharing that part - The rest of us obviously don't have that testing opportunity and are thus in the dark a bit.

FSX devs are only just beginning to jump over to X-Plane

HUGE assumption here - We (XP fans) have been saying these sorts of things literally....forever (I'm not exaggerating)

There's absolutely nothing to guarantee or even really suggest that FSX people will come to XPX vs P3D.  A huge reason for that is the exact same complaints we all have had about XP have been persisting for *years*.

At the time Austin posted on Twitter and anyone could request the alpha version of X-Plane 10.40. But it's Mac OS X only, presumably as it's easier for them to build, and doesn't/didn't include the scenery changes everyone is waiting for.

At the time Austin posted on Twitter and anyone could request the alpha version of X-Plane 10.40. But it's Mac OS X only, presumably as it's easier for them to build, and doesn't/didn't include the scenery changes everyone is waiting for.

It is Mac only because Austin is developing on a Mac, which ironically explains the UI aswell as why Austin doesn't mind it :D

Yep, whenever I've asked or received testing buildings, they've always been Mac ones. I think the developers prefer it because of the coding environment, and it's easier for them to build quickly. I also much prefer working/developing on a Mac (outside of simming as well).

It is Mac only because Austin is developing on a Mac, which ironically explains the UI aswell as why Austin doesn't mind it :D

Speaking of the UI, Philipp Münzel and Ben Supnik mentioned that developing the mobile version has given them a new direction for UI, and XP11 will very likely come with a new, modern, cleaner user interface. I've actually grown to like the current one that looks like OS X Tiger. I will miss it!