Sign in to follow this  
edouardo17

CTD issue caused by acontain.dll

Hi everybody,

I'm having that very annoying issue with the PMDG 777-200LR and the 300ER as well...
I launch FSX, I load the 777 with any livery: so far, so good. I can previsualize the plane in the preview box without problem.

Then I load the flight, I start in the cockpit, everything's ok for 2 or 3 secondes, then it freezes, and FS crashes and closes.
Here is the error log: 

Nom du journal :Application
Source :       Application Error
Date :         09/05/2015 20:26:38
ID de l’événement :1000
Catégorie de la tâche :(100)
Niveau :       Erreur
Mots clés :    Classique
Utilisateur :  N/A
Ordinateur :   Frenchy-PC
Description :
Nom de l’application défaillante fsx.exe, version : 10.0.61472.0, horodatage : 0x475e17d3
Nom du module défaillant : acontain.dll, version : 10.0.61472.0, horodatage : 0x475e180b
Code d’exception : 0xc0000005
Décalage d’erreur : 0x0000866d
ID du processus défaillant : 0xf74
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01d08a856694b477
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\acontain.dll
ID de rapport : ed8e6b84-f678-11e4-9b9a-c86000bfa25d

It seems that the "acontain.dll" causes the crash, but I have no idea why...

The exact same thing happens on P3D.
Before you ask me to update my graphic drivers and everything, note that I'm on a desktop Windows 7 64bits computer, HD Radeon 7 series with the latest drivers. I've already tried to re-install the whole simulator but nothing made it work... 

Thanks in advance for you help!

Edouard

You should post this several more times. The other half dozen weren't enough.

Richie Walsh

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's always a pleasure!  ^_^

Obviously, you take me for an idiot, but be aware that I did NOT post the topic "half a dozen time". I don't know what happened, but it wasn't on purpose... 

Full names in the PMDG forums please.

Multiple posts are usually cause by clicking the Post button more than once.... even if AVSIM does not respond it still has received the Post command and repeat as often as you wish.

Back on topic:  That modules is not a PMDG resource. It has something to do with AI Traffic.  I googled the module (always a good start) and found other posts at AVSIM that have discussed things like overclocking problems, out of date FSUIPC, memory configuration errors....literally the gamut. Bad news is PMDG can't fix it.

Dan Downs KCRP

I don't know what happened, but it wasn't on purpose...
I can tell you what happened. You left clicked the mouse 5 times on post or pressed enter 5 times. Avsim is slow to respond to posts. It's easy to do it. So don't worry about it. Just remember the next time only one click or enter is enough no matter what message appears on Avsim.

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides a solution for this crash.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's always a pleasure!  ^_^

Obviously, you take me for an idiot, but be aware that I did NOT post the topic "half a dozen time". I don't know what happened, but it wasn't on purpose... 

Welcome to the forum, Edouardo.

The error is caused by a bad module on the AVSIM servers. While the error actually says "service unavailable," a lot of people take that to mean "didn't post," and keep trying. You certainly aren't the first to fall victim to it. Oddly enough, it's only when people go to make new threads, so many of the forum crowd haven't actually seen it themselves. Next time, if you see the error, check to see if it posted. It usually does.

As far as the crash goes, I don't recognize it as one of our processes, so I'd go with Jim's post of checking AVSIM's CTD Guide: http://forum.avsim.net/files/file/65-avsim-crash-to-desktop-guide-for-fsx-p3d-fs9/

(look for the green Download button).

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, That is exactly what happened, and it won't happen again now that I know about it.

Regarding my issue, I found valuable pieces of information about it on the CTD guide, and I therefore thank you for your help and relevant hints!

But I still find it strange that it ONLY occurs when I launch a flight with the PMDG 777, either on FSX or P3D...

But I still find it strange that it ONLY occurs when I launch a flight with the PMDG 777, either on FSX or P3D..

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what you find that solves your problem... share that and there might be a connection to the PMDG 777 that is explainable. Please do share your fix.

Also, take a minute to look at forum rules.  Full names are required on all posts in the PMDG forums please.

Dan Downs KCRP

For sure! I'll be very happy to share anything I can find to help people that may have the same issue in the future.

Here is what I could find on the AVSIM CTD Giude (Version 2.0):

AContain.dll - related to AI aircraft and it removes AI aircraft around your aircraft as you are flying. Make sure you have the latest version of FSUIPC installed as it somehow works with this module.Reduce your AI settings - not above 40%. What AI program is installed? Is the default AI program still running? If you are still having problems, suggest uninstalling any add-on AI program. Ships and boats are also  controlled by the  acontain.dll  so make sure those settings  are  not  too high. Individuals who have had crashes as  a  result  of this module have been advised to completely uninstall FSX, run a freeware system cleaner such as  CCleaner,  then  temporarily  disable  any  anti-virus  program  and  disable  UAC,  then reinstall.

I first tried to reduce default FSX AI settings to 0% everywhere, but as I expected, it didn't do any good.

As I don't have any AI Program or add-on installed, I didn't have anything else I could do... 

I didn't bother to re-install FS completely because I had to format my computer a few weeks ago, and I can remember I already add this problem, and I after I re-installed FSX, the first thing I did was re-installing the 777... So nothing could have corrupted it.

A problem in your registry could cause this but since you recently installed FSX and PMDG 777 that might be unlikely. However, if you had to format your computer then that is a big red flag.  That is something you should never have to do unless something is wrong...  just guessing at this point.

Dan Downs KCRP

Nah, no such thing... I usually format my computer every once in a while to clean it from all the stuff I don't use any longer.

I usually format my computer every once in a while to clean it from all the stuff I don't use any longer.

For some reason, this concept (of regularly reformatting) is pretty pervasive in the sim community, and it's highly unnecessary. To clean stuff out, even for a "deep" cleaning of a system, all you need to do is uninstall via the control panel, and if you're really obsessive about it, delete the folders and perform a registry scan.

Kyle Rodgers

For some reason, this concept (of regularly reformatting) is pretty pervasive in the sim community, and it's highly unnecessary.

Please explain to me what is the point of such a statement? Is that really necessary for you IT geniuses to give me your view on something that has not even remotely anything to do with my current PMDG issue?

Formatting my computer is the way I chose to get rid of all these little unnecessary softwares that get installed on my computer with others! And guess what: do you know why I keep formatting my computer every year? Because I genuinely feel the difference, and I feel how much it improves the performance!

So let's just move on something else because you won't make me change my view, and I don't agree with your points.

Edouard,

If you choose to reformat your machine frequently, this is your choice.  Kyle pointed out the fact that it is not necessary for the vast majority of users.  Your opinion is based upon your experience, and Kyle is stating the official position of PMDG, as a provider of software to simmers.  We work with many thousands of simmers, and often their problems can be solved with the application of a bit of knowledge, rather than simply deleting the entire thing and burning/tweaking the entire setup all over again.

If you find your method works for you, great- that is your choice.  But you will not come at Kyle with your teeth bared.  He is here to help our customers with reasonable, experienced input.  Just because you happen to feel your way works does not make it acceptable for you to come at him the way you did.

If you require assistance maintaining the centerline, please reach out to one of the forum moderators.  We will be happy to help.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com