Sign in to follow this  
flyerboy

Sky Replacement Textures

Please move if in the wrong forum.  Just wondering what Sky, Cloud textures do you use?  The default are OK however looking for something better.  In FSX I used REX, but they have released a new clouds addon.  What does everyone use for their sky textures?

Weather engine :REX Essential Plus 

TExtures : REX Texture Direct with soft clouds

Mario Lobo

P3D v:4.5| Win 10 2004 x64 pro | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E | i9-9900KS@ 5.1Ghz(OC) | Thermaltake Water Extreme 3.0 | G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GTRS TZ Royal (16x2)32G Kit DDR4 3200Mhz | 11GB RTX 2080 TI Asus STRIX OC| 1x Samsung 970 PRO M.2 512GB | Samsung 970 PRO 1TB | 2x Samsung 860 PRO 2TB| Tt ToughpowerXT 875W | CoolerMaster HAF X Tower

Weather engine :REX Essential Plus + Activesky Next for weather generation.

Paul

Hi,

Sky textures REX Essential+Overdrive

Soft Clouds REX 4

ASN Weather

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

What does everyone use for their sky textures?

I use sky textures ... you know, various shades of blue, grey, white, pink even orange.  B)  Definitely nothing artificial ... bad for your health.

Seriously though, make up your own mind from the products available.  Don't rely on the herd's advice.  It has to please you and only you.  If you happen to make an error of judgement ... well that's life.  Learn and move on.

HDEv2 for FSX can be used P3D.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sky + Clouds --> REX Texture Direct with Soft Clouds plugin

ASN weather via networg

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

This is a very subjective area, what works for one person looks unrealistic to another. Each texture set is an artists impression.

This is my own very subjective view on all the texture sets available.

Rex have taken all the variations and enhanced them. Take their dawn and dusk textures as an example. to me, depending on which one you select they give the impression of the perfect dawn and dusk. They invoke that feeling perfectly. You have to ask yourself however, does every dawn and dusk look this amazing?

The real world looks different every day. Occasionally, you get to see that amazing dawn or dusk which gets you reaching for your camera. Mostly though, real world lighting stays within a narrow band of normality. Currently, I use the HDEv2 Sky and cloud textures because they invoke that normal everyday range perfectly.

So you see, there is not a deffinative right answer as to which texture set is the best. They are all brilliant in their own right. The great thing is, there's a choice and you can decide depending on your mood which one is right for you.

REX4 with REX Soft Clouds

ASN

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

The real world looks different every day. Occasionally, you get to see that amazing dawn or dusk which gets you reaching for your camera. Mostly though, real world lighting stays within a narrow band of normality. Currently, I use the HDEv2 Sky and cloud textures because they invoke that normal everyday range perfectly.

That's a great way to explain it. I've always found the REX sets represent colors that you only see once in a while, where as the HDEv2 sky colors represent what would be considered an average every day set. Many years ago I got really obsessed trying to find sky textures that represented what I see on a daily bases where I live. I tried FEX and it was ok, then REX came out and tried that as well. But both programs, especially when it came to sunrise and sunset, gave illusions of colors that I would see only once in a great while, plus the day time sky and horizon always seemed to clear and dark blue. It wasn't until I found the HDEv2 sky set and installed it, that I said, wow, this looks like what I typically see on a daily basis.

While there is no right or wrong sky sets to install, a lot of the REX sets just look to dramatic or unusual for my taste.

It wasn't until I found the HDEv2 sky set and installed it, that I said, wow, this looks like what I typically see on a daily basis.

+1 the above are the most realistic for me. anything else looks "cartoony"

and they're free!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

anything else looks "cartoony"

Disagree

REX4 with REX Soft Clouds ASN

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Cartoony!!! I think not

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Disagree

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Cartoony!!! I think not

Those clouds look good, but I would have to agree the HDEv2 sky sets are the most realistic I've seen yet.

I wouldn't call this set that NyxxUK necessarily cartoony, just that the sky textures don't look as real or natural as they could.

It's ok though as long as everyone is happy with what they have.

Nice ones David. Can I ask which specific sets those are, and also what your favourites are for dawn and dusk? 

I have Opus, Rex, and Soft Clouds. So what am I using? All default, ha!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit