Sign in to follow this  
Artur Munteanu

Cockpit Shadow 737NGX

I agree that adding shadows entirely alters the sim, it gives more of a sense of relative motion.

2015-5-2_7-15-57-221.png

Kevin

believe it or not this is FSX running DX10 not P3D

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

Curious as to what settings you guys use through DX10 Controller for your virtual cockpit shadows?  I just recently made the switch from DX9 to DX10 and I'm loving the shadows on my VCs.  However, I seem to notice a bigger performance hit when I use vc shadows in the PMDG NGX.  From the limited research I've done, it doesn't seem like most users have a significant FPS impact from shadows, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

I'm using the PMDG NGX SP1d on FSX SE.  My system is capable of running at 25-30 fps around heavy scenery.  When the VC shadows kick in, I seem to drop to 15-18 fps.  

Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Adam C.

I think those are screen shots from P3D, which uses DX11.  That's just an assumption. I have P3D but never used DX10 in FSX. 

Dan Downs KCRP

Ah, ok- you may be right.  My mind has been on FSX DX10 and I just assumed that was what I was looking at.  Regardless, if any FSX DX10 users care to chime in, I'd welcome your thoughts.

Thanks!

Ah, ok- you may be right.  My mind has been on FSX DX10 and I just assumed that was what I was looking at.  Regardless, if any FSX DX10 users care to chime in, I'd welcome your thoughts.

Thanks!

I usually try to make the shadows as high contrast as possible. So little fade with angles or poor visibility, and shadow boost. For at least the iFly.

FSX and FSX:SE can enjoy shadows in their cockpits using Steve's wonderful DX10 fixer and adding to the [display] section of fsx.cfg:  I had to go into the DX10 fixer's debug options and select shader version 4 to get them to work with EZDOK. 

ForceVCShadowMap=1

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Curious as to what settings you guys use through DX10 Controller for your virtual cockpit shadows?  I just recently made the switch from DX9 to DX10 and I'm loving the shadows on my VCs.  However, I seem to notice a bigger performance hit when I use vc shadows in the PMDG NGX.  From the limited research I've done, it doesn't seem like most users have a significant FPS impact from shadows, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

I'm using the PMDG NGX SP1d on FSX SE.  My system is capable of running at 25-30 fps around heavy scenery.  When the VC shadows kick in, I seem to drop to 15-18 fps.  

Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Adam C.

This is normal. My FPS is drop down at 12-15 with cockpit shadows at day, and 28-31 FPS at night, but is not so bad, because FSX is about smooth and not FPS. Even though FSX is a '3D render' application it is not a game, does not respond the same to hardware settings as a game and can not be setup and run like a game, it is a SIMULATION. A game uses predefined local maps and controls, FSX is constantly calculating real-time changes. I do not run FSX like a 'game' .

I think those are screen shots from P3D, which uses DX11.  That's just an assumption. I have P3D but never used DX10 in FSX. 

No, no, no. I don't have P3d. Is FSX boxed version with DX10 and fix.

If you thought that was P3D, then DX10 does VC shadows pretty good then :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

If you thought that was P3D, then DX10 does VC shadows pretty good then :)

Shadows are very pretty in both, I stopped noticing them after a while and traded them in for quite a few extra FPS (prefer the smoothness emersion and the bling outside of the windows). The only time I miss shadows is when I see screenshots, nice shots by the way :-)