Sign in to follow this  
jzimmermann

Fantastic New Driving Simulation - Project Cars

This is an interesting thread for me, I've always felt like I was stuck in between racing games.  Games like burnout etc are too arcade like for me, yet I don't really have the time (or likely skill frankly) to really master some of the more demanding sims (similar to what was mentioned previously I'm a much better sim pilot than sim driver!).  I've been thinking about picking up Assetto Corsa - the real attraction for me is the open concept, modding etc, but now Project Cars has me thinking...

I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on which is more approachable for the interested, yet still slightly casual simmer..

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I've been looking into Project Cars. My only issue with switching from flying to driving is the clutter of having my steering wheel and pedals and flight controls and rudder pedals always ready to go when I feel like doing one or the other. So until I hit a new low or burnout of flying my setup will stay as it is. I have also looked into the motorcycle game called "Ride". I think I am more likely to do motorcycle games with a  gamepad controller as opposed to driving cars with gamepad.

Keith Guillory

Is that an old Sauber that you are driving? That is one amazing sim. May have to pick that up. WOW is the only word that comes to mind that I can post.

It is indeed, and it comes in various "liveries" too  B)

Cheers,

Jerome

What is your recommendation for a good wheel, I'm thinking of looking into this?

Thanks - Martin

I use the Logitech G25, cheaper than the G27 but every bit as good (friend has 27). Having had a few cheaper wheels previously, it's like night and day. I picked one up second hand on a site similar to ebay. Can't recommend it enough.

I agree that Assetto Corsa has an absolutely superb physics engine. Unless you like belting around a track on your own though, the AI to me is key in being able to deliver an immersive experience void of any realism killing hiccups made by other drivers around me.

I haven't actually raced AI drivers in PC sims for at least five years. If I want to race, I go online to do it against other human drivers. Assetto Corsa certainly has its problems in that department, but you can still have immensely enjoyable races online. Unfortunately, you also get many disrespectful drivers who simply don't care about the enjoyment of others. First corner pileups have attained almost legendary status, but it's generally down to a handful of idiots who just do not learn (or more probably....don't actually care) to be more careful at the start. I often start at the back of the grid, so I see it all. Idiots that fail to brake in time (or try to overtake on the grass), and cause a domino effect as cars ping and bounce off each other. Then everyone tries to recover without being careful. Cue yet another pinball session. It's utterly crazy, and extremely annoying! However, if you can avoid these incidents (and it isn't as easy as some people may think), then online racing in Assetto Corsa can be sublime.

As far as offline is concerned, I use that for practice sessions. The cars in Assetto Corsa feel so good that simply driving them is enjoyable. There are a small handful of cars that I am not interested in....

* All open wheelers (apart from the awesome Lotus 49). The latter is superb precisely because it has next to no downforce when compared to the others, and that Ford Cosworth engine sounds fantastic!

* I will never, ever drive an LMP car. They look awful. Simple as that. I prefer to drive cars in AC, not ugly rubbish that looks like it's come straight from a dodgy science fiction movie.

As for the rest, I like to drive each one for several laps before switching to the next one. Testing a single car for 500 successive laps at the same track to work out a precise setup ain't my style.

It would be nice to see a few of you guys online in Assetto Corsa. I use my real name online just like I do here, so you should recognise me. Look for the guy complaining in the chat section after being rammed off the track at the start yet again :mad:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I kinda miss how many mods rFactor has/had. Is there a recent game with alla mazing graphics and physics and all that, and that keeps the modding community happy?

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Feels strange to see new threads about PCars.  I was a backer way, way back when it first was possible to do so, and have played it on and off through many successive versions over the years.  It just doesn't seem like it's a new release. :)

That said, Project Cars sums up pretty much everything I've ever looked for from a racing game.  I should qualify that by saying that I was huge fan of the GT series on Playstation.  So appropriately, I want a semi-realistic yet fun to play sim.  I like enough involvement and tweaking and fiddling to keep me busy yet not have to open a textbook.  Add in nice graphics, decent handling (I can't comment on whether it's perfect or not), good AI, and I'm sold.

One of the highlights for me is tossing carts around; they are really, really fun. ^_^

The only reason that I don't play it more often is that I have a ton of rather bulky flight controls all bolted down to my simpit!  But, since it's now actually 'released', maybe I'll have to dig my wheel out and give 'er a go!!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

In a way, I sort of view PCars in the same light as FSX, do they both have the best physics models available? Not overall generally speaking, for instance, many folks think XPlane is the superior flight sim in that regard (YMMV), but somehow FSX (with many, many add-ons to be sure), and now PCars have managed to tap into a level of immersion for me that other offerings lack - even my personal racing favorite of old, Gran Prix Legends. So, it looks like there will be a fair amount of equipment switching going on at my  house for the foreseeable future  :Big Grin:

This thread piqued my interest and this video sold it to me, downloading now. :unknw:

I've just simulated Nordschliefe track day with Renault Megan and 30 various AI cars.It was brilliant! In front Zonda tries to overtake slow Lancer going through a narrow section of a track, behind me Ariel Atom is screaming, and few seconds after that Gumpert Apollo followed by Ariel Atom are driving fast past me and screaming on a straight.

By the way, Megane is utterly brilliant and very enjoyable to drive! Try to drive it on Nords with full manual clutch with optional heel & toe technique, freaking amazing.

If you have G25 or G27, you can try this FFB settings, I think they are the best:

Controls -> Configuration:

Force Feedback: 100

When in pits:

Tuning Setup -> Force Feedback -> Spindle:

Master Scale: 50

Fx Scale: 50

Fy Scale: 50

Fz Scale: 150-200, or lower if you don't like to feel all the bumps and curbs.

Mz Scale: 50

All the smoothing options to 0.

SAVE

Enjoy awesome FFB!

I'm using these settings for all cars now.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Does this required a Steam account for PC version?

Hi there,

Yes, the buy button of the PC version will take you to the Steam page for Project Cars, so you will need an account to purchase.

Cheers,

Jerome

I wish someone would make a realistic driving Sim that was open world....

GTA?