Sign in to follow this  
RichUK

Is it worth it?

All,

I'm ready to jump ship from P3D. I'm done with the OOM issues, it just zaps my enthusiasm. I've spent thousands on add-ons, and I'll certainly miss my orbx stuff.

Anyway, given that FSX / SE is a dead platform, and P3D can't handle what is thrown at it, is X Plane worth it? I like the fact it is 64 bit for sure, but reading some posts in this forum it seems people are a little upset about lack of support. I do not want to start building up software only to have to drop it like P3D.

Apart from the 64 bit thing, is X Plane worth jumping on over P3D. I'm not looking to start a war, just honest opinion. I was ready to jump on X Plane until I started to see folks a little upset at the lack of a new version.

Thanks!

Rich.

Once I jumped I wasn't able to use FSX/P3d again for more than a passing look out of interest when an update came out even though I like you had much invested. To me, once you get the hang of the UI and the donationware tools World2XPlane and G2XPL X-Plane simply cannot be beaten. It needs a few payware planes, don't judge it on the default and it needs the scenery done with the aforementioned tools plus the payware SkyMaxxPro to make it sing.

We complain sometimes about the pace of change but it has come a long way and I'd have to say from my own perspective, if it never developed further I'd still be happy with it. Just give it a fair shake, don't do what some do and decide well it's not FSX so I don't like what I'm not familiar with. It's not FSX, it'll be to you new software which like any program, takes some time to figure your way around. It is worth it though.

I wouldn't know.................about P3D.  I don't use it, yet. I've stocked up on a lot of Orbx for FSX, and wouldn't care to sim fly without it. It's either because I have a very good system, or I don't fly long enough to encounter OOMs.  As to X-Plane, I certainly think it's worth it. I just wouldn't be content to run it alone, at the expense of giving up Orbx, or planes from RealAir and A2A.  Both programs reside well on my computer, and I used both this weekend. They each have advantages, depending where I fly.  I did take somewhere between 1 1/2 to 2 years off from flight simulation, while awaiting a new setup, but prior to that, I've used sims since the beginning  of desktop simulation.

XPlane is not without its frustrations and you should be aware that there are several things which, coming from FSX / P3D, will disappoint (ATC / AI, weather, lack of seasons, crappy autogen, slow pace of development, number of projects which turn out to be vapourware etc.).

But slowly but surely, the gaps are being filled and the reasons not to give it a serious try are getting fewer. As props fan said, once you get used to what can be done with it and what changes various add ons can make, you'll find a bargain of a platform, and can say goodbye to OOMs (I've never seen one in XP).

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I think the best breakdown usually is:

1.  Are you planning to mainly do tube liner flights between major terminals?  Go with P3D/FS side of things

2.  Every other use I'd go with XPX

To me the breadth and depth of simulation of airliner flying from major airport to major airport has always seemed more well covered on the FS and now P3D side.

I was ready to jump on X Plane until I started to see folks a little upset at the lack of a new version.

This is really nothing to worry about. Every four months or so people start complaining (usually when the last big update is some months ago). Since release, XP 10 has received lots of updates, partly with significant improvements (such as the GNS430/530 introduced in XP 10.30. Other developers would have charged for that for sure). Just be aware that Laminar is a small team, partly consisting of freelancers, so things are going more slowly.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Guys,

Thank you so much for your responses. I truly appreciate it.

I have no issues with working on a platform to get it to where I want it. I have been involved with flight sims for many years, so I am used to spending more time tweaking than flying! I am truly fed up of the constant OOM's in P3D. I love P3D for what it is, but it just seems ridiculous to spend thousands on a top end PC and software only to have to turn everything off because it will die. Developers keep pushing more complex scenery and aircraft and we can't get to use it. Of course this is the limitation of 32 bit, although it seems there is a bit of wiggle room with how that is used and could no doubt be improved.

I will try X Plane. I guess there is no difference between the DVD or Steam versions..just how you obtain the software? Thank you also for the suggestions on extra software to use to make the experience better. Any other suggestions in that area is always welcome. I'm not scared to spend some money so that I can enjoy my sim.

Thanks again!

Rich.

Just echo'ing a few comments above -- if you only or mainly fly big airliners, you may be happier staying with P3D for a while. Although that situation is steadily improving. I never touch the big stuff; only flying light GA, vintage planes, and helicopters, where X-Plane gives me everything I need. 

You will hear us complain about things, but don't assume that means the sim isn't working fine in many respects. It's solid as a rock on my Windows setup, very easy to migrate to a new machine (I just did that), and doesn't require a ton of expensive add-ons to work well. The only thing I've spent money on is payware aircraft, the SkyMaxx Pro sky effect enhancement, and a couple of payware scenery packages. That's it. Everything else I need is either already in the sim, or available as free or donationware like the HD scenery meshes and many user-created airports. I probably have less than $300 tied up in payware for X-Plane.

My main complaint at the moment is with the weather engine, which isn't any worse (on a fundamental level) than the weather engine in FSX or P3D. The differences are more in eye candy than actual weather system modeling. So I'll continue to gripe about that, but it's something that will probably improve over time.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

One other reason someone may want to stay on FSX/P3D is if a particular 3rd party plane is only on those platforms.

My personal example is the Cessna Cardinal RG from Alabeo.  Dying for them to bring it over to XPX, but nothing yet.

I owned one of those years ago and love flying it, and thus it has me firing up P3D just for that.

There is a very easy answer to the OP´s question:

http://www.x-plane.com/downloads/x-plane_10_demo/

Jan

The demo is actually not a good showcase for the best that XP has to offer, it's best to just jump on in and figure it out on the fly. There's always plenty of help on the fora.                                                                                                                                                            

I will try X Plane. I guess there is no difference between the DVD or Steam versions.

The only difference between the DVD and Steam version is that with the steam version you don't have access to the betas, you would have to wait until the final version is available.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Thanks again. I ordered the DVD(s). I'm not a big fan of demo's. I'm a jump right in kinda guy. Thanks for the difference between Steam and the DVD version too!

You guys rock!

I say give it a shot!  I know once you buy, you'll fall in love.  Eventually we will get the PMDG products, the IXEG 737-300, and more Carenado stuff! 

Get Real Terra Haze set up first (the default colour palette can be very offputing), then Andras' HD meshes, then Tony's OSM injector (W2XP) when you're a bit mor comfortable with the file structure.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea