Sign in to follow this  
RichUK

Is it worth it?

Honestly speaking Rich, I could not imagine myself running anything but FSX.  I'll tell you why. I've spent a lot of money in addons. And I'm still a sort of newbie. I don't have any problems with FSX even if its dead.  Well its not dead just yet...    PMDG's,  Aerosoft's products, to mention just two, are available only to FSX  and one more simulator in most cases.  And  when a new product addon comes out, surely it always says "for FSX/FSX-SE" and one more simulator only again.  Although I do respect the choices of all simmers, I will not at this stage say FSX is dead. At least for now. You can only fly a certain number of planes in the other platforms. Very limited "arsenal". Some sims scenery look a bit like animation stuff.   Yes 64 bit systems, but at this stage FSX is alive and  that's my humble opinion. But will see what happens in the future...

Cheers.

John

All,

I'm ready to jump ship from P3D. I'm done with the OOM issues, it just zaps my enthusiasm. I've spent thousands on add-ons, and I'll certainly miss my orbx stuff.

Anyway, given that FSX / SE is a dead platform, and P3D can't handle what is thrown at it, is X Plane worth it? I like the fact it is 64 bit for sure, but reading some posts in this forum it seems people are a little upset about lack of support. I do not want to start building up software only to have to drop it like P3D.

Apart from the 64 bit thing, is X Plane worth jumping on over P3D. I'm not looking to start a war, just honest opinion. I was ready to jump on X Plane until I started to see folks a little upset at the lack of a new version.

Thanks!

Rich.

I think there is no reason to jump from one sim to the other...but merely to FLY...(with each's sim platform's advantages over the other...).  Do I think that XPX.35 is 'killa'?  I sure do.  Even more so...with Tony Wob's W2XP project, and for custom mesh...Andras's Fabian's HD mesh v3.0.   Download SimHeaven's W2XP xxx_OSM_ag files...load them in...and go fly.  You will be amazed..and Tony is still playing around with the concept....tuning...etc....

I have to ask, what planes are you flying? I fly with the NGX in FSX and have airports such as UK2000 Heathrow and Gatwick, as well as some good freeware for LIMC and EHAM and I've never seen an OOM. Admittedly, longest fly I've done is around 3-ish hours, but never had an OOM. Are you using the PMDG 777? I know they've had some memory leaks fixed recently which could be a culprit if you're flying one of their planes. I would have a stab at an add-on is not releasing memory very well, or at all, and you're hitting OOM. Have you tried testing this out by removing an add-on at a time and trying to narrow down where the rouge add-on could be?

The only difference between the DVD and Steam version is that with the steam version you don't have access to the betas, you would have to wait until the final version is available.

This is not true anymore. With 10.35 they opened up beta to steam aswell.

@jcpg

FSX is dead regarding future updates/patches............FSX SE is alive and getting updates.

Despite the problems, X-Plane is a moving platform and is getting updates (Yes, we are put on hold whilst the mobile version is done, but we will see further updates). It's definitely worth giving it a go, and just like any sim, you need to spend the time getting to know it and the add-ons available for it, i.e. Don't give up if your home airport is a flat desert.

Thanks again guys for the tips. I will certainly install/purchase everything you recommend to make the X Plane experience better.

I am really grateful too that we can have this discussion. Everyone wants something a little different out of their flight sim experience and I think it is great we can have a reasoned adult conversation about that. There certainly is no right or wrong. All sims have their pros and cons.

On the FSX / SE platform - I said it was dead because in reality it is. That is not to say that developers aren't still developing for it, they certainly are! However, even with SE, there is a limited amount that can now be done on that platform. We certainly won't see enhancements that X Plane and P3D have because of the license agreements. The only benefit for SE right now (and it is a major one) is that bugs that existed in FSX have been fixed. However, it never will be up to modern day standards, and I guess that is why DTG are supposedly looking at making a new sim. FSX/SE and P3D really need to make use of modern hardware for their longevity. There is only so much you are going to squeeze out of a 32 bit platform. Even the mighty FSX has to come to an end at some point, it is amazing that quite a lot of us have had to 'make do' with that platform for so many years. I'm hopeful that further development of X Plane and the LM efforts with P3D, together with DTG will make the next 'big thing' that satisfies the majority of flight simmers.

On the OOM thing. This happens with P3D v2.5 especially. I never had it either on FSX, but P3D has much more going on than FSX ever did have an ever will have. P3D is pushing the limits of 32 bit and that is why a lot of people are having problems with it. Try using the PMDG 737NG at a complex airport and watch the sim quickly start to die.

Thank you again all.

Rich.

Try using the PMDG 737NG at a complex airport and watch the sim quickly start to die.

I've seen so many streams and youtube videos of people doing just that though, NGX and 777 and not have OOM. I've seen OOM's on long flights, cross the pond etc but not as regally as you're suggesting. Hence my thinking behind an add-on, or possibly something in your cfg. However, if you're making the jump to XPlane and are happy with it, there is probably no point trying to get to the bottom of your P3D issue

My only problem with X-Plane is, when I close program , I get an error that no one can figure out. Only way to restart program, is to re boot PC. I have steam edition. Windows 7 home premium. Pentium I7. 8gig mem. Dell 15R Laptop.  

Steve Sumner

I've seen so many streams and youtube videos of people doing just that though, NGX and 777 and not have OOM. I've seen OOM's on long flights, cross the pond etc but not as regally as you're suggesting. Hence my thinking behind an add-on, or possibly something in your cfg. However, if you're making the jump to XPlane and are happy with it, there is probably no point trying to get to the bottom of your P3D issue

This is true. However, in most cases I have no doubt that those folks are pushing the sliders way to the left to save on VAS. While that may delay the OOM it won't stop it. Also, there seems to be a problem with V2.5 specifically. LM are aware of the problem and their forums are full of people posting evidence of this so they can work on it. We are truly pushing the limits of 32 bit. I love the enhancements that LM have made, just if you want to use a complex aircraft at complex airports you have to turn those enhancements off in order to enjoy it..seems a little ridiculous to me.

I love the fact that X Plane is 64 bit for the reasons stated above. I don't mind making some kind of compromise, just it is hard to do that knowing my hardware is more than capable and I should be able to push it much more than I can in P3D right now.

I dont think the P3D issue is mine alone. It is a problem that many people are facing. I hope LM get to the bottom of that issue on their current platform. More importantly I really hope they are working on 64 bit. It goes without saying that we really need that in order to take advantage of our hardware.

Rich.

I just spent a bit of time evaluating a few sims, after about 5 years away from Flight simming. I have had just about every version of MSFS since it came out. After I installed FSX, I spent  about 6 months of tweaking it, cursing at it, watching it CTD on an IFR  approach after a 3 hour flight in a Level D, etc...etc... and finally uninstalled it and swore I would never put myself through that again.The thing that bugged me the most, since I am a licensed pilot with about 600 hours, were the constant stuttering and hesitations, that I could never get away from especially i cities like Boston and New York.

Just in the last month I saw a Youtube video of P3D and a A2A C172, which most of my flying in real life is in, and it looked pretty realistic. I decided to spent $10 for the 1 month Pro license to see if it would run on my middle of the road 3 year old Desktop. I installed it and started flying and was amazed how smoothly it ran. No stutters, no jerks, no CTD's , it was like a different world than what I had with MSFS. So I immediately bought the Academic license, two A2A aircraft the C 172 and the Piper Cherokee, My Traffic 6, and Active Sky NG. I then spent a bit of time making a few modifications to the CFG file, and with everything running, I get a solid 30FPS just about anywhere. It is smooth as silk. The part that blows me away is the total, and I mean total lack of stutters. I have never seen this in a PC sim. The way it runs with My Traffic generating all kinds of GA and airline traffic, without affecting the FPS, and the weather and cloud generation with Active Sky, makes this sim really look great. 

Now just to be fair, I decided to download the X Plane demo and give that a try before I buy much more for P3D.  It runs smooth on my system, but not as smooth as P3D, which sort of surprised me, because the scenery is pretty simple, and there was no Ai except traffic on the roads that I could see. I made a turn from base to final on a landing in the X plane C172, and I could see the hesitation or micro stutters  in the display, just like I used to see in MSFS although not as bad.  The frame rate in X plane hovered right around 30 FPS similar to P3D on my system, but again there is not as much going on in X plane.  The C 172 in X plane, compared to my A2A C 172, is a distant second. Don't like the sounds in particular, and the realism in the A2A is just like the real thing. Another thing I discovered about X plane, I had a problem calibrating my joystick, and the first takeoff, the rudder wasn't working and the C 172 in X plane started veering off the runway. Well they only give you 15 , minutes to try flying this demo that takes an hour to download, so I figured maybe I could get off the ground before I crash into the buildings on the side of the runway. Well, to my surprise, I couldn't get flying speed, so the 172 ran smack into the building, and kept on going.. So I just left the throttle on full, applied some back pressure on the elevator and watched as the 172 plowed right through this very large building , came out the other side, and started flying. So much for realism. I flew around for a bit during daylight, and the scenery compared to what I have in P3D, is dull and lifeless. The only effect that I really  liked was the night lighting. . Now as far as the flight physics between X Plane and my A2A SEL planes, I don't see any major difference, and as I said, I know what flying a SEL plane is like in real life. I have flown plenty of horrible planes in MSFS, and I am sure that there are some bad ones in P3D, and I will bet the same is true for X plane. In my MSFS days I focused on 737-767 flying. Now that I am back into it, I find it much more entertaining to fly around in SEL aircraft and go from airport to airport exploring. For me, P3D is ahead by miles, for this kind of flying. 

Just my 2 cents.   ^_^

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Get Real Terra Haze set up first (the default colour palette can be very offputing), then Andras' HD meshes, then Tony's OSM injector (W2XP) when you're a bit mor comfortable with the file structure.

Totally agree!  He'd be well on his way....

My only problem with X-Plane is, when I close program , I get an error that no one can figure out. Only way to restart program, is to re boot PC. I have steam edition. Windows 7 home premium. Pentium I7. 8gig mem. Dell 15R Laptop.  

I suggest that you get a program that cleans out your REGISTRY...there might be loose ends...that prevents a clean drop from memory....

Geez I just recently trashed my two years of X-Plane usage for a renewed interest when FSX SE came out.. the improvements there had me dump X-Plane and P3d! X-plane sound system was far too old and weak (still the same one from 1996 you know) and the goofy hazy sky that never extends to the horizon ... the cockpits still too cartooney and goofy and the view from the VC just not real enough for me... remember I am a commercial pilot in real life and have been simming for for 30+ years now and still, the only thing that makes me really think I am flying a real airplane in all its ways is FSX SE now... X-Plane has some great stuff believe me and I spent a small fortune on add-ons like the 777 etc.... but I just love the look, feel, and sound of FSX SE now...that's all I can say

Original poster asked if X-Plane was worth getting. Way too many off topic posts in this thread.

Well here is the first problem..

Trying to install X Plane on DVD and I'm getting the too many open folders issues. I see the forums are full of these problems. Not a good start here.