Trying to build a new PC for P3D. I have read a lot of topics and still don't understand whether my P3D would benefit from SSD, except for faster load times for Windows.

Any advise would be much appreciated. Planning to have 2 drives eventually.

Two Samsung 850 EVO SSDs added to my new i4790K/GTX970 system two months ago. One 250GB drive for the OS and the other a 500GB drive exclusively for Flight Simulator X. One of the best hardware upgrades I have ever made.  Minimal performance improvement, but load times reduced by about 75 to 80 percent in FSX. That alone was worth the price of admission for me. My current FSX program tops out at just over 200GB so load times on a conventional drive could take up to 8 minutes in the past. Up and running now in around a max of 90 seconds.

Go for the SSDs you will not regret it.............................

I can only second what JayDub just said. Did exactly the same a year ago with the 840 models from Samsung (same sizes btw.) - I did not regret the purchase!

Cheers

Frank

We tested this extensively and see a performance upgrade of ~1% on P3D, but did have significantly quicker loading times (2-4x faster).  For now, I think it's an expensive solution, but you have to see if it's worth it for you.

sig01.png

Dont forget size matters here as well. 250gb or even 500gb is not going to cut it if your an ORBX fanatic who also loves photo scenery as well.

ZORAN

Ok, thanks.

Now I need to decide what brand to get - Samsung or Crucial?

Samsung 850 EVO for performance, although I have an older Crucial M4 in my home PC that is still doing awesomely good.  Avoid the Samsung 840.

sig01.png

Samsung is pretty much expensive. So far planning to grab these two.

For OS and technical programs

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434188/MX100_Series_256GB_SATA_III_6Gb-s_25_Internal_Solid_State_Drive_CT256MX100SSD1

For P3D

http://www.microcenter.com/product/443434/BX100_1TB_SATA_III_6Gb-s_25_Solid_State_Drive_CT1000BX100SSD1

Any voices "against"?

Crucial is great. I don't see a problem if you're looking for the best bang for your buck.

sig01.png

Crucial bx100. Evolution of the mx100 which is the best drive I've ever owned. It just won't die and read\write speeds are still 100% years later. SSDs are now much cheaper, more reliable, and use so little power.

May I propose a different solution?

Seagate's SSHD.  The range comprises 1, 2 and 4Tb.

Slightly more expensive than HD's, much less expensive than pure SSD's.  Loads OS and Apps much faster than HD's, not quite as fast as SSD's.

Best compromise between space and performance.  Buy 1Tb for OS and (your choice) for P3D. That way the on-board cache will work to best advantage.

All the best no matter what you decide.

May I propose a different solution?

Seagate's SSHD.  The range comprises 1, 2 and 4Tb.

Slightly more expensive than HD's, much less expensive than pure SSD's.  Loads OS and Apps much faster than HD's, not quite as fast as SSD's.

Best compromise between space and performance.  Buy 1Tb for OS and (your choice) for P3D. That way the on-board cache will work to best advantage.

All the best no matter what you decide.

Thanks for this ,  I never knew it existed. I run an SSD for FSX but junction link into a 3TB seagate for all my scenery so I sort of have  the same thing as a SSHD but I would prefer to have just the one drive.

ZORAN