Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Is AVSIM undergoing a Denial Of Service attack?!?!?

I got a couple of 'server too busy' messages, but got in no problem 10 minutes later, so didn't think a lot of it - assumed it was just congestion.

And I just got on after a few minutes of waiting but been this way or timed out most of today.  Wow! I thought I was the only one. 

Guys (and ladies),

I've been seeing the same too.  It's fast one moment, then it drags.  I notice the front page is what takes forever to load, sometimes up to 12 seconds.  Then the infamous server error... 

Not sure what's causing it, but we are monitoring and discussing strategy to identify and eliminate the problem.  Thank you for your patience as we sort things out.  It's amazing how much we feel the loss of Tom even more when these sort of things happen.  We used to just be able to say, "Tom, it's broke, help!"

Luckily we have some very knowledgable people who are offering help, and we appreciate all we can get to keep our site safe, secure, and efficient for everyone.

Guys (and ladies),

I've been seeing the same too.  It's fast one moment, then it drags.  I notice the front page is what takes forever to load, sometimes up to 12 seconds.  Then the infamous server error... 

Not sure what's causing it, but we are monitoring and discussing strategy to identify and eliminate the problem.  Thank you for your patience as we sort things out.  It's amazing how much we feel the loss of Tom even more when these sort of things happen.  We used to just be able to say, "Tom, it's broke, help!"

Luckily we have some very knowledgable people who are offering help, and we appreciate all we can get to keep our site safe, secure, and efficient for everyone.

Thank you for the update....hope it just melts away....

One or two hiccups yesterday, here in Cape Town, South Afica. Today.. normal!

Of all the years I've worked in systems and networks for online companies, I can recount twice having an issue with a DDOS. The rest of the time it was either web servers and/or database servers having issues or being overloaded, like a run-away process or something. Occasionally I've had problems with the upstream provider(s) having network issues, they where more inter-office connections though. Depends what Avsims upstream circuits are like. If it's multihomed or not

AVSIM was unreachable for me most of yesterday and is still going on today.  Tried to access from several different servers, no joy.

Once logged in, AVSIM running VERY SLOOOOOOOOOOOW...

Once logged in, AVSIM running VERY SLOOOOOOOOOOOW...

For me, AVSIM is running faster than ever so not sure what is slowing you down.  That's a shame as it's no fun surfing on a slow site. 

We see nothing out of the ordinary so not sure what was causing the issues yesterday and, for some, over the weekend but ISIS hackers, the terrorist group, said they planned on sending a message to America on Monday (yesterday) so suspect many ISP's made sure firewalls and other security measures were all set up properly.  The facility that manages our servers probably took extra precautions too.

Best regards,

I can confirm, that today there was an long period, where I only got HTTP 503 => Service Unavailable. (also: hello from Finland!)

I can confirm, that today there was an long period, where I only got HTTP 503 => Service Unavailable. (end hello from Finland!)

Interesting since I had little or no problem early this morning but now at 11am US time I recived the same message.  However, I did a search for Avsim and then went to  forums and here I am with no problem.  I have three different computers and have received similar problems.  I am sure it will work itself out...Maybe there many newbies trying the site since FSX-SE has increeased new folks. (?)

I agree with Jim during this log on it is somewhat faster than previous times.  Go fugure

It seems to me that it is just the front page which does not reply: forum.avsim.net/page/index.html

Everything else is fine. So, I better use just the basic address: forum.avism.net/

Mid-day and it's 503's all the way.  It seems to have cleared at the moment, but the site loads very slowly even though I'm logged in.  The slow loading has been happening for weeks, but the 503's have only showed up over the past few days.  My ISP is Verizon and I seriously doubt your server provider would have blocked that.

DJ

I must be blessed as I only had one brief access problem on Sunday night (GMT) and it's been fine since.

Logged in this morning west coast Canada, fast as ever, no issues.  Using Shaw high speed internet.

cheers.

Just had the problem at 10:35 PDT. Tried twice and got 503, but third time everything is fine and fast.

Has been happening for me to and from for at least the past 2-3 years. If re-trying 3-4 times doesn't help, I just try again a couple of hours later.

Guest JustanotherPilot

Same here in Australia I can only get connected between 3am-6am, lucky I'm an insomniac.

Hello

I am having the 503 error too. Very difficult to connect to the avsim server.  :mellow:  :mad:

Here in the Midwestern US, I've been getting a 503 error every time I try to visit the site. However, after a quick refresh, it works just fine (no glitches, not particularly faster/slower than its ever been). 

We, the Earth, have been blasted by the 3rd coronal mass ejection in as many weeks.. A possible cause?

If I go in directly via forum.avsim.net the time to response is half or less that of the main page.

DJ

Same problems here in Florida few several days now. It does seem to be something going on with the main page. Been very slow to respond. Some times refresh works and some times not. I have just kind of thought it may be reaction to the cave dweller threats.

UPDATE......OK...here it is, Hillary is erasing more hard drives and got mixed up!!

For whatever it's worth, I never even bother with the front page. When I visit AVSIM I come straight to the forums: http://forum.avsim.net/index/

I rarely have any problems, although at times the forum server response is a bit on the sluggish side.