Sign in to follow this  
jmhelms

FTX Central Settings for Orbx NZ South Island ("NZSI")

Just Installed NZSI.....running FTX Global

setting in Central in "hybrid" mode....

is that the best setting to use for NZSI?..

or should I switch to "Oceania" area

for better results...thansk, John H.

NZSI/NSNI should be run with Oceania, if you don't intend to go outside into Global land. I exclusively use Oceania.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks Bronze for the reply....

will I get any benefit from NZSI

if I use Global and hybrid?...thanks,

John H.

No. NZSI is self-contained (as are all fat ORBX Regions). Switching to Hybrid is only required if you would fly to an area outside of NZ, but there is nothing really nearby, at least not for VFR, around NZ. Australia has its own fat Region also requiring Oceania on. If you don't own the Australia region and want to make a transit from NZSI to Global based Australia, the Hybrid mode would be necessary.

The difference between Hybrid on/off is said to me small, but it's also said it depends on the specific region (e.g. some autogen roofs may be in a different color, some landclass may differ a bit etc.). I never actually tried this, as you will never get a better (at best the same, but maybe a little worse) representation within a fat region like NZSI with Hybrid on.

There have been several threads on the ORBX Forum where Geospatical lead Holger Sandmann and others elucidate this in more detail. 

Kind Regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Hi Michael...thanks for the prompt

and thourough reply....John H.,  Houston, TX, USA

Hi John,

I would also strongly recommend some decent third-party mesh, as with their NZ mesh Orbx have unfortunately made many of the NZ beaches look like some gigantic mole decided to go to town and remodel the beaches to create sandy, mound-like structures instead of a true gradual slope that leads to the ocean. :lol:

Cheers,

Jerome

Thanks Jerome...what would you suggest?

...I am already using Orbx Global.....cheers,

John H.

Hi John,

I use PILOT'S FS Global Ultimate Mesh. If you're using PILOT'S FS Global 2010 mesh, then results will be similar I expect.

Or were you referring to FTX Global from Orbx, which is not mesh?

Cheers,

Jerome