Sign in to follow this  
srborick

Next Generation Flight Simulator SIM-Posium is now OPEN!

I agree with Jimmy RFR and Fr. Bill.  Not sure why AVSIM is promoting another website (pinning the topic) to become as successful as AVSIM.  Let the site grow on its own merits.  Maybe AVSIM should take up the "crowdfunding" technique to build its site even more!  In any case, the pin has been removed.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I agree with Jimmy RFR and Fr. Bill.  Not sure why AVSIM is promoting another website (pinning the topic) to become as successful as AVSIM.  Let the site grow on its own merits.  Maybe AVSIM should take up the "crowdfunding" technique to build its site even more!  In any case, the pin has been removed.

Best regards,

I don't think their site will replace AVSIM... Maybe it's the beginning for a new sim but the community has been the way it is right now for as long as I can recall. Until someone comes with a real touch of modernism (And I don't think the SIM-Posium site is anywhere near modern or user-friendly), AVSIM will stay the king.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

I don't think their site will replace AVSIM... AVSIM will stay the king.

I agree but we are not promoting the website here through pinning, special announcements, etc., etc.  They will have to do that on their own.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It'd be really nice to have a Sim-Posium subforum...if that sim gets interesting. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

To be honest, that would defeat the entire purpose. This gentleman wishes to create -for want of a better word- an "agnostic" website that is not beholden to any existing sim website, and is focused on only one objective.

It is a given fact, that regardless of how large a community AVSIM is, our total active membership remains only a fraction of all active simmers worldwide. I've said for years that this is one of the primary reasons why the total flightsim community worldwide is so fragmented...

...there are simply too many websites!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I agree but we are not promoting the website here through pinning, special announcements, etc., etc. They will have to do that on their own.

Best regards,

I wonder which moderator pinned it in the first place?

I did because I didn't feel it is 'competition'. I still don't for that matter.

I would not have done that were it another full blown flightsim website of course. That would be silly.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

I did because I didn't feel it is 'competition'. I still don't for that matter.

I would not have done that were it another full blown flightsim website of course. That would be silly.

Its a shame, that some see it as a "competition" which I also don't think it is.... actually I would have hoped that an "community" like AVSIM would have some interrest for a successful Next Generation Flight Simulator....

I did because I didn't feel it is 'competition'. I still don't for that matter.

I admire your honesty in coming forward. I didn't think the mod who pinned it would want to admit to it, after it was unpinned.

Bleah.

This is why such an initiative is so fraught. We can't even really have a discussion about having a discussion, without suspicion.

What do you think things would look like with actual money on the table? (Shiver)

This is probably why star citizen simply took the money and made no promises above and beyond making a stunning game. Otherwise, individual people would have proclaimed their dollars gave them some sort of hand in the decision making process, and soon enough a thousand cats would be straining mightily in a million different directions.

How about let's table all that, and just work on an outline of what can be agreed on, first.

IF we wanted a next gen sim what would be a practical initial wishlist of features, codified to its general essentials? 

WHAT existing engine might allow us to reach those goals?

WHO in the community with the necessary skills is available to guide and advise?

Etc. It doesn't really have to be all that hard, at least not to establish basic principals. Just have to park the egos at the door.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

actually I would have hoped that an "community" like AVSIM would have some interrest for a successful Next Generation Flight Simulator

I would have great interest in a successful 'next generation' flight simulator. 

As I pointed out to the original poster (who has not yet answered any of my questions), not being in full support of a specific approach to an idea does not mean one does not support the idea in general.  It's a very important distinction, but one that's often exploited in media and politics.

My concerns have nothing to do with competition.

Bleah.

This is why such an iniative is so fraught. We can't even really have a discussion about having a discussion, without suspicion.

What do you think things would look like with actual money on the table? (Shiver)

My suspicion has nothing to do with said discussion actually taking place. It has more to do with this particular site generating interest through the presentation of media from some individual unaffiliated projects, and then offering a ground plan that involves a crowdfunding campaign with rewards going to site members that have accrued 'points' through stuff like 'visiting the site each day' and 'ranking forum posts'.

However, to allay that suspicion, I did ask the original poster some questions, and was / am still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, should they actually be answered.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Ideas are great things, especially when combined with drive and passion. However, and I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt here regarding your intentions, I would perhaps caution you on the methods you are employing to generate interest.  To me and perhaps to others, it comes across as a bit unsettling, to say the least.

Just some quick clarification....

The Next Generation Flight Simulator SIM-Posium is first and foremost a SYMPOSIUM a "think tank" for any member of the flight simulator community who is interested in the progression of flight simulation beyond the current technologies. 

Yes... there are plenty of references to other projects as they are very strong indicators of what can actually be achieved if a next generation flight simulator was built on new modern technologies. 

The CrowdFunding Reference seems to be a source of controversy that really doesn't need to exist... especially if you take the time to read through the posts that are referenced. There is no intention to utilize CrowdFunding at this point. The only time that CrowdFunding will be utilized will be if the NGFS SIM-Posium is successful in reaching it's goals.

Let me also state that I have no interest in any financial gains from developing the NGFS SIM-Posium. The purpose of the SIM-Posium is to allow a open discussion regarding the future of consumer oriented flight simulation and whether or not the Flight Simulator Community has an interest in achieving that which no current Big Producers has an interest in doing and that is to develop a next generation flight simulator. My only interest is in seeing the future of flight simulation well established on a new platform that will serve the community for years to come.

If we as a community, simply pull together our resources, our time, our talent, our ideas, and yes even our willingness to commit financially we can create the very first community driven flight simulator, that can last for as long as there is a community to support it.

I highly suggest that everyone read through the various posts before arbitrarily posting opinions based upon speculation. Opinions based upon actual knowledge and facts rather than assumptions shows a genuine concern for the overall well being of the flight simulator community.

Stephen Borick

NGFS SIM-Posium Host 

I highly suggest that everyone read through the various posts before arbitrarily posting opinions based upon speculation. Opinions based upon actual knowledge and facts rather than assumptions shows a genuine concern for the overall well being of the flight simulator community.

Thanks for your response, Stephen.  I would like to mention that I have taken the time to read through a good portion of the material that you've written on your website.  On that basis, I'm not offering arbitrary speculation.  I'm simply referencing the material and content of your own website, which in turn raised questions in my mind regarding your purpose and intent.

I could take this further and debate, likely endlessly, the apparent conflict in wording between some of your website material and what you've written here.  However, I'll be willing to let it lay where it is.  As it stands right now, I'm not likely to be convinced by your initiative as a simmer nor as a developer, but if you indeed mean as well as you say, I do wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

"My suspicion has nothing to do with said discussion actually taking place. It has more to do with this particular site generating interest through the presentation of media from some individual unaffiliated projects, and then offering a ground plan that involves a crowdfunding campaign with rewards going to site members that have accrued 'points' through stuff like 'visiting the site each day' and 'ranking forum posts'."

I didn't want to add another post trying to explain the purpose behind the "Next Generation Flight Simulator SIM-Posium, but with the over 1000 readers who could actually benefit from a genuine discussion regarding the opportunities of "Like Minded Flight Simulator Enthusiasts" who may be persuaded to not get involved because of the misinformation that is being generated by one persons opinion, I felt like I should add to what I had just wrote.

1. The project shown on the NGFS SIM-Posium are representative of software developed using modern technologies, nothing more. It shows the immense possibilities of what a next generation flight simulator could achieve. Thus the title "Check out the Possibilities" found over the 9 videos on the home page.
  2. There is no ground plan that includes CROWDFUNDING (The menu item CROWDFUNDING has been changed to CROWDSOURCING, perhaps more of an indicator as to it's true intent). In order for a next generation flight simulator to become a reality one needs to consider how it is to be financed. One such means is through CrowdFunding and the only way that crowdfunding can be successful is if those who are candidates to participate are informed of what CrowdFunding is and what it can accomplish. Reading through the various articles one would learn that any CrowdFunding Campaign created in the future for the purpose of funding the development of a next generation flight simulator will be designed using the input of the flight simulator community members. 
  3. Point and Rewards is a proposed program similar to those found being used in other successful programs such as the ones mentioned as references within the post. The accumulation of points and their use are clearly pointed out as being based upon the successfull completion of the NGFS SIM-Posium which would eventually include a successful CrowdFunding Campaign as well as the successful launch of a next generation flight simulator. If the NGFS SIM-Posium and it's pending CrowdFunding Campaign are successful, points accumulated during the course of the SIM-Posium would be used by the recipient, in the proposed Virtual Store as outlined, as a reward for their early  involvement in the process of bringing the next generation flight simulator to reality. All this is clearly pointed out within the posts that they are written.
  4. Let me also state that I am not a developer of software... it will be the members of the flight simulator community who ideally will rise up to become the planners, the developers, the business creators of the next generation flight simulator. 

Jimmy, in answer to your last reply... let me add this.... you seem like a good person who perhaps has a degree in literature and can extrapolate meaning from something that was written but was not intended. May I suggest... rather than being an opponent, why not get involved and help clear up any misunderstanding of what the true intentions of the NGFS SIM-Posium are. Your input would be extremely helpful as well as gratefully received. There is only one motive of the SIM-Posium and that is to gather the members of a long and enduring community to work together to achieve a next generation flight simulator. You could be a helpful addition.

It's unfortunate that such a project as a next generation flight simulator sim-posium could be so misconstrued.

Stephen Borick

NGFS SIM-Posium Host 

P.S. Below is the Prologue as found in the "Keynote Address"

Prologue

I’d like to welcome all of you to what is quite possibly the very first… Next Generation Flight Simulator SIM-Posium!

You’re here for one special purpose and that is to discuss the current direction of flight simulation and… the incredible future of flight simulation if you dare take on the challenge.

This SIM-Posium has been built for you… the flight simulator community, to do with as you will in just about every aspect imaginable just as long as you stick to the topic of a next generation flight simulator and the thoughts and opinions of all are respected. There are plenty of other forums available if you want to do some general chit-chat… this SIM-Posium is for serious “BRAINSTORMING” the next steps towards “…as real as it gets.”

With the advent of new technologies both in computer hardware and software as well as the recent success of community driven software projects such as “Star Citizen”, “Elite Dangerous”, “The Car Project”, and others… the future of consumer oriented flight simulation can be and ought to be… literally in your hands.

With a community as diverse and as talented as ours… it is my hope that leadership will rise and the talents, ideas, creativity of all will be utilized in such a way that the future of flight simulation will be secure for now and for the foreseeable future.

As long as progress towards that goal is made this site will remain available to all those who believe that in today’s world that nothing is impossible and that every feasible concept is achievable.

..in today’s world that nothing is impossible and that every feasible concept is achievable.

Unfortunately the real world shows that's not the case!