Sign in to follow this  
rquick

Welp... Here it goes. Updates.

Way way behind on updates. :/

I plan to go in this order based what I've read on here. btw Robert's pinned update is excellent.

1. Update the OPS center

2. Open and close the OPS center

3. Download the installers for the 737 and 777 from the commerce center.

4. Run the installers one by one and update the liveries.

I post this so if someone sees where I'm doing it wrong, maybe they can steer me in the right direction.

Here is how out of date I am: :(

updates_may_2015.jpg

I post this so if someone sees where I'm doing it wrong, maybe they can steer me in the right direction.

Uninstall the planes before trying to run the new installers.

Kyle Rodgers

Uninstall the planes before trying to run the new installers.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I will do that. I just updated the OPS center and it added additional updates available regarding FSX:SE. I'm assuming [despite the danger of that word] I can ignore those since I only have the original FSX.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I will do that. I just updated the OPS center and it added additional updates available regarding FSX:SE. I'm assuming [despite the danger of that word] I can ignore those since I only have the original FSX.

FSX:SE updates are essentially FSX updates. We treat the products as one in the same (same installer, etc etc).

Kyle Rodgers

FSX:SE updates are essentially FSX updates. We treat the products as one in the same (same installer, etc etc).

Ah... OK.

Download link on the commerce site is working nicely so that is going. I will uninstall and reinstall and keep my fingers crossed. lol. I will report back on how it went. I know it's riveting...

Good news so far. :)

The 737 and 600/700 expansion installed without errors as did the 777LR and 300ER expansion. The OPS center only had 1 notification which was to update liveries, which it did. So, I'm all up to date now. Fired up FSX with the 777LR and everything loaded OK. Won't have time for a flight tonight, but things look pretty good. I'll try a flight tomorrow. Thanks Kyle for your help.

Way way behind on updates. :/

You think your behind, I just finally downloaded the updated NGX installer last night, but have not downloaded the T7 yet or uninstalled the OP's center or the NGX yet. Plus I am so far behind on FSUIPC, probably 20 versions or so.

To be frank, I have not updated anything just because of having to redo all my assignments for key bindings and stuff like that.

I'll probably tackle it soon, but can't seem to find the energy to do it.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Is there actually a 737 update? I thought it was just the 777....and I thought it wasn't required to uninstall for the update - just run new installer and select repair...

EDIT: Ahh saw the original post was a couple updates behind...understood.

You think your behind, I just finally downloaded the updated NGX installer last night, but have not downloaded the T7 yet or uninstalled the OP's center or the NGX yet. Plus I am so far behind on FSUIPC, probably 20 versions or so.

To be frank, I have not updated anything just because of having to redo all my assignments for key bindings and stuff like that.

Sean Campbell

Whoa. I guess everything is relative. :) I hope  everything goes smoothly when you get around to it.

If you're referring to our key bindings:

[sim folder] > PMDG > [Aircraft Folder] > [file named something close to key commands, or otherwise similarly, but I'm drawing a blank on it].ini

Put it on the desktop. Drop it back in the folder after the uninstall/reinstall. If you think it's causing any issues, just delete it. It will rebuild on the next sim run.

Any changes to this posted process:

An uninstall/reinstall should work without rutting through the additional folders, but I usually just go through the whole procedure just in case. It's just beta carryover, really.

Kyle Rodgers

If you're referring to our key bindings:

[sim folder] > PMDG > [Aircraft Folder] > [file named something close to key commands, or otherwise similarly, but I'm drawing a blank on it].ini

Put it on the desktop. Drop it back in the folder after the uninstall/reinstall. If you think it's causing any issues, just delete it. It will rebuild on the next sim run.

Yeah I was considering doing that but I also have to map those keys to FSUIPC for my X52 buttons. Not really too much work I suppose but just been lazy to do it, although I would like to get the weather radar.

One other thing beside the key bindings is the carrier options need to be reset as well for each ini. Not sure if I can save the options in I files as the newest update includes some new options.

I am so far back on FSUIPC modules that I can't even just drop in the new module, I have to delete the old module and ini and run the installer to get the latest version, then recalibrate the controlls.

Basically to get my T7 and NGX SP1 up to date from the original releases I need to completely uninstall both, uninstall FSUIPC, then reinstall the latest FSUIPC, then the NGX and T7, recalibrate all controls, set carrier and user options, do the key bindings and FSUIPC mapping, install repaints, then see it it all works. It's a lot to gain weather radar but at least I'll be up to date finally.

Since I hate doing all that, it's precisely the reason I have not tried P3D since most large updates require complete reinstalls of both P3D and all addons. No way I have the energy to keep rebuilding my sim. I've only installed FSX once in 7 years, can't imagine doing it with P3D every 6 months or so.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wrap up... Did a couple flights and all went well.

Just to clarify for anyone looking to update from a similar situation as mine. Here's what I did.

-Updated the OPS center.

-Open and closed the OPS center.

-Downloaded the updated installers from the ecommerce site.

-Uninstalled the 737/777 and expansion packs. Note: I did not manually delete any files, I am not sure if there are scenarios where this is necessary, but for me it was OK.

-Installed the updated planes.

-Opened the OPS center and updated the liveries.

I didn't lose my aircraft settings [lights and display brightness type things], also my joystick settings were still working.

Wrap up... Did a couple flights and all went well.

Just to clarify for anyone looking to update from a similar situation as mine. Here's what I did.

-Updated the OPS center.

-Open and closed the OPS center.

-Downloaded the updated installers from the ecommerce site.

-Uninstalled the 737/777 and expansion packs. Note: I did not manually delete any files, I am not sure if there are scenarios where this is necessary, but for me it was OK.

-Installed the updated planes.

-Opened the OPS center and updated the liveries.

I didn't lose my aircraft settings [lights and display brightness type things], also my joystick settings were still working.

Did your saved states work ok?  In the last 737 update, there was a note to delete all saved states before the update, as it was causing issues with an invalid master caution warnings.

John

Did your saved states work ok? In the last 737 update, there was a note to delete all saved states before the update, as it was causing issues with an invalid master caution warnings.

To be honest, my flights were with the 777 so I'm not sure about that.