Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Best way to reinstall FSX?

First, apologies if this has been answered before. I'm about 2/3 of the way into a martini and the vodka is kicking in.

Recently I had FSX all dialed in when an unknown add-on nuked one of the DLLs associated with the C++ redistributable libraries. In the process of reinstalling those (2005, 2008 and 2013), my PMDG aircraft have subsequently taken a dump to which a reinstallation has not helped. I'm thinking at this point that I need to uninstall and reinstall FSX and all the associated add-ons, but don't want to go through the hassles of rebuilding all my configs. Short of backing up the fsx.cfg file to retain my UI settings, are there any other areas of concern I should be backing up to ensure I reinstall in the shortest amount of time? I have all the installers for the add-ons, so I'm good there, I just want to make sure I don't forget to back something critical up before wiping the whole mess out.

• Upvote 1

A re-install did me a world of good, and only panic I had was thinking I'd lost a serial number but I hadn't and that was it. I saved on FSX.cfg, but i ended up letting FSX build a new one, re-installed all my add-ons and added a few bits back to the cfg, HIGHMEMFIX etc. In fact I think my biggest issue before was something in the cfg causing my issues that I just couldn't see. I did have to scrap my re-install half way through and start again because of an issue, so as a matter of concern I made sure to start FSX each time I installed a new add-on. That may be overkill though, it's just what I ended up doing

Is there any extra clean up recommended once FSX is uninstalled? (beyond the usual directory deletions, etc)

If you want to make sure it's all gone, check C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX is deleted, and make sure the install folder is gone C:\fsx or whereever you installed it.

For uninstalling I use Revo Uninstaller (freeware) and run their advanced uninstall which completely removes everything related to that program, you do need to exercise a bit of caution with the registry removal though. But it's fairly obvious if you use your eyes

If you want to make sure it's all gone, check C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX is deleted, and make sure the install folder is gone C:\fsx or whereever you installed it.

For uninstalling I use Revo Uninstaller (freeware) and run their advanced uninstall which completely removes everything related to that program, you do need to exercise a bit of caution with the registry removal though. But it's fairly obvious if you use your eyes

Yep thats theway to go