Sign in to follow this  
hangar

mu2 v1.5: what happened guys?

I hope I am not stepping onto a landmine.  I can't think of one product, including MS famous FSX, that was born perfect from day one. I rate all developers, therefore, on a scale of 1-10 rather all 10s or 1s( 1 being the lowest). Take for example Just Flight. I purchased the DC8 and from day one it was flawed.

A few updates later, the product was still flawed. Then the developer "moved onto other projects" and promised an update "any time" soon---2 months have already passed since that "any time soon" promise.  So as of this day, months later, I have a product that I no longer fly, and have pretty much given up complaining to the developer about it. I consider JF a seasoned developer, who should learn or have learned over the years about the importance of overpromising or underdelivering. Sure, they claim that third party developers are the ones in charge, but, in the end, I hold them responsible, since they are the ones who decide to sell it. I give them a fairly low grade for being poor learners with respect to customer expectations a stable products.  I rather see a "light" product advertised as light, rather than a "fully  modeled" plane that turns out less than fully modeled.

I also give developers a lot of credit for creating products for which many don't have real life experience. So, for example, it's not easy to code a DC8 and expect many young developers to even have a clue of what a dc8 is.  This is a conundrum, because we want high fidelity( imagine, some people complaining about window shades) products at cheap prices developed by people who may not have real life aircraft  experience.  Thus to my point:

I always loved the MU2. I purchased the MU2 and like it a lot. Is it perfect? Almost. I take the developer at his word that a few updates are coming.  Three months from now I'll decide what grade to give them.

Buyer beware: I can't think of too many products by developers whose reputation is not known. I know what I am getting into when I buy a product from some developers with low grades. What can I say? I am a sim addict. In sum, to buy a product from a low grade developer is like buying a car from a bad dealer.  The folks at Flysimware have so far shown superior attitude and commitment. I will judge them not today, but sometime in the future. This is the nature of our hobby, so let's not pretend it's otherwise.

tony

I hope I am not stepping onto a landmine.  I can't think of one product, including MS famous FSX, that was born perfect from day one. I rate all developers, therefore, on a scale of 1-10 rather all 10s or 1s( 1 being the lowest). Take for example Just Flight. I purchased the DC8 and from day one it was flawed.

A few updates later, the product was still flawed. Then the developer "moved onto other projects" and promised an update "any time" soon---2 months have already passed since that "any time soon" promise.  So as of this day, months later, I have a product that I no longer fly, and have pretty much given up complaining to the developer about it. I consider JF a seasoned developer, who should learn or have learned over the years about the importance of overpromising or underdelivering. Sure, they claim that third party developers are the ones in charge, but, in the end, I hold them responsible, since they are the ones who decide to sell it. I give them a fairly low grade for being poor learners with respect to customer expectations a stable products.  I rather see a "light" product advertised as light, rather than a "fully  modeled" plane that turns out less than fully modeled.

I also give developers a lot of credit for creating products for which many don't have real life experience. So, for example, it's not easy to code a DC8 and expect many young developers to even have a clue of what a dc8 is.  This is a conundrum, because we want high fidelity( imagine, some people complaining about window shades) products at cheap prices developed by people who may not have real life aircraft  experience.  Thus to my point:

I always loved the MU2. I purchased the MU2 and like it a lot. Is it perfect? Almost. I take the developer at his word that a few updates are coming.  Three months from now I'll decide what grade to give them.

Buyer beware: I can't think of too many products by developers whose reputation is not known. I know what I am getting into when I buy a product from some developers with low grades. What can I say? I am a sim addict. In sum, to buy a product from a low grade developer is like buying a car from a bad dealer.  The folks at Flysimware have so far shown superior attitude and commitment. I will judge them not today, but sometime in the future. This is the nature of our hobby, so let's not pretend it's otherwise.

tony

I wish I could have put it so eloquently. :) This is also the way I feel. My JF mistake was the recently released F27. Thankfully it was cheap. The best part was getting to hear Rolls Royce Dart engines again. Brought back a lot of memories of my early years on the ramp.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

tony

I have yet to buy a product that was "perfect" on the day of it's release it's just not possible, there will be bugs. So far the MU-2 is moving along pretty well  it does have it's bugs and hopefully 

they will be worked out in due time. The best flying version from the limited amount of time i spent in a RW MU is version 1.2 . Adding the LUA script didn't affect the flight model and actually put the taxi speed just about right. The MU was the first "fly it to the runway " plane that i dealt with and as soon as the props went forward and the flaps came down  power was needed to get it there.

Flysimware is doing a good job and have committed to continuing  there good job so i'm sure the MU will be a winner when it's finished, Others have also stepped up and started working on other 

things that will be a nice addition for sure  so keep up the good work. 

Sometimes I wonder if some people are flying this thing from the inside or the outside, heh. Has anyone noticed the huge change in drag between 1.5 and 1.6?

I can maintain around 160-170kias with only 30lbs. of torque now in clean configuration...and when dirty on final bringing it all the way back to 20-25lbs of torque speed won't bleed off and you can virtually float to the next airport if desired, lol.

Also, whatever changes you made has also killed the nice sound work that David did last week...because you no longer hear the engine sound increase when throwing the throttles forward for takeoff, sadly.

Nav mode and APP modes are broken using the GTN750...on 2 test flight I was not able to get the nav to capture laterally at all, and I was within 30 degrees of the final approach course.

Plane goes back to the hangar for me, IMO things have gotten technically worse rather than better. Honestly, I'm shocked you found this ready to be released to your partner stores and have moved on already to other projects.

...what happened guys?? is there mutiny in the ranks or somethin'? Seemed you were doing so well in the early stages and then it all just fell apart as you rushed it out the door after putting in only a 5 day beta.

Meanwhile, back at the specifics: I do NOT see what Dave reports at 30% torque. From 30lbs under Gross and at a stable 90% at 9,500 ft I saw a steady speed decay from retarding power levers to 30% (not sure why you would be at that setting in clean flight except for setting up an fps-orientated controlled rapid descent, but there you go - normal minima will be 35%) I see a 2.5 minute decay to 130 kts at approx 5-6 degrees pitch.

Given the book talks about clean configuration of 35% at +12 degrees around 115 kts, there might be some argument that drag is not quite set right, but not by much. 

Given the discrepancy, I suggest Hangar you try an uninstall and reinstall of 1.5.

For performance indicators away from those truth-bending official manuals, you can get a really good document from the Feds, relating to the type recurrency approvals here

http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part91-108-SFAR.shtml

The updates i have done so far were to fix bugs. I am waiting for Joe so we can re check the flight dynamics and see if we can add a GPS approach mode. And i have David's sound fix on hold until Joe can test it. So besides these minor few things to go all bugs were fixed and that's what i meant i can now add this product to my partners stores. But for being finished we need a few weeks not 5 days like the beta model got fixed. And this gives us more time for others to report issues so we can do 1 more major update. A lot of people emailed me to release the product to the major stores when it was still a beta and i said no way!

As far as working on a new project or other project updates i am working on other projects as long as we get another update for the MU in 2 or 3 weeks!

I would appreciate that you would stop posting as it seems to me your just trying to make a public scene. I answered your questions and we all have to wait a few weeks! You should have just emailed me asking if there was more updates rather than start a post called "What happened guys". Nothing happened i think your just not happy as we only fixed 99% of our bugs and have 1 more to go and a final flight dynamics tweak. i am only 1 person and it took a lot of work to fix the bugs that needed more attention first. And i must wait for the ones i can't update alone.

Finally got it yesterday. took 5 min to figure out how to start engines, trying to recall video you put out.But got there. Only had short flight but it is fun. Thanks guys, all the lessons can only improve. Have you ever considered asking someone good at painting to assist with textures and maybe offering them a free version, It will help your sales and wont hurt the overheads. As for all the ranting, it is just the way the world is today, too demanding see it on every forum it sickens me.

Thanks guys cant wait for the next.

REV 1.6 Updates:

1.Ability to hide green plastic tint
2.Updated engine sounds
3.GTN750 now has case hotspot for 2D popup
4.Updated flight dynamics

5.Updated installer for steam edition
6.WX500 weather radar works using the GNS and GTN models. (Now only 2 models with all features available. Rather than having 2 static models and only 1 working model with no ability to control the night textures we decided to make both versions have better night textures with or without owning the product but the knobs will not animate due to fact we do not have the XML coding. Overall this gives you more options with less models and better night textures minus animated knobs.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hanger i found no issues using these instructions below using rev 1.5 

GTN 750 & GNS 530:

GPS system:
1.When using a flight plan you must be within 2 NM of the waypoint course or when using Arrival and departure. If you decide to do an approach using the GPS system select the AP NAV mode since the Glide slope is a visual only and this mode will only hold lateral. The GTN warns you when you select this type of approach and it's for visual only. Best to switch to the Nav system for approaching.

NAV system: 
2.When in AP NAV mode tune in the navigation frequency to the next VOR. When ready to approach an airport select AP APR mode for ILS approach or AP APR/VOR mode for lateral approach only. These modes will capture when the CDI needle starts to move and will disengage the altitude hold modes once the glide slope is centered. 

3.If your flying a flight plan or holding a navigation VOR or using AP HDG mode and about to intercept an approach keep the AP NAV mode active and press the APR or VOR/APR. Once you intercept the AP NAV mode or AP HDG mode will disengage automatically.

Whoa, update 1.6 on the MU? So soon!? Awesome, when can I have it???!!

Available now on the Flysimware shop page.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

Available now on the Flysimware shop page.

Thanks, got it! Now to perform a controlled crash at st Barth's! I thank the devs for the bug fixes, I'm having a great time with this weird little plane.

I have been a modder and beta tester for many years and the simple unfortunate facts of life are that no release has ever survived without some bugs getting through beta testing.....why?....... I have no idea. I can tell you that its every bit as frustrating (and in some cases probably more so) for the developer as its is for the customer. Its never been a question of if there are going to be bugs its been a mater of how quickly a developer responds to the problems and flysimware has responded exceptionally well. Six updates in less then a month !!! to me that proves there commitment to there customers.  

I have been a modder and beta tester for many years and the simple unfortunate facts of life are that no release has ever survived without some bugs getting through beta testing.....why?....... I have no idea. I can tell you that its every bit as frustrating (and in some cases probably more so) for the developer as its is for the customer. Its never been a question of if there are going to be bugs its been a mater of how quickly a developer responds to the problems and flysimware has responded exceptionally well. Six updates in less then a month !!! to me that proves there commitment to there customers.  

Thanks as i am trying to get every bug fixed. And today i think i have got it. Just fixed the FD for the nav mode as it was only turning on if you hit another mode first or turn the AP on then off. My coding for all the other modes used my custom buttons but for some reason the nav button would not respond. So i simply used the variable and the FD came to life any time you engage the nav mode selector. I aslo noticed that the VS and IAS light would turn off when captured. My new update the VS and IAS stay on since this is what makes the altitude lock active. But if you use the IAS and you reach your desired altitude it will auto switch to VS mode once captured. I am updating the manual with more info for the AP mode panel. I also updated the engine sounds today with stereo  sounds so left engine plays more toward the left speaker and same rule for the right engine. Improved the exterior sounds as well. There is still no way to fix the bug the air file has so when you quickly reduce power to idle it will drop the sound to 70% rpm for 3 seconds. So just try to lower the throttle slowly. B)

Rev 1.6 just got uploaded again to the Flystore and is ready to download. I am holding off sending out our newsletter until Monday once i know this update is okay. 

The autopilot may be broken. When turned on in a climb, the plane starts to climb uncontrollably and passed through the target altitude.

tony