Sign in to follow this  
ViperXBR

Resolved the infamous FSX 5-10min freeze!

I know it's been a while but I thought I'd post an update and let you all know that I was incorrect. Setting the AffinityMask did not cure the freezes unfortunately.

Haven't had much time to do any long flights over the summer months until the last week.  Got one 8min freeze during a 3hr flight in the T7.

Ah well...  Disappointing...

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

- Check your dll.xml

- get rid of all dll's, do a flight or two, and if no freezes, start bringing back entries one by one, and do a flight after each new entry.

That is how I solved my freezes in FSX couple of years ago. Another solution for me to start using DX10. No issues what so ever since then, will never go back to DX9, which seems to be much more buggy than DX10 on my system.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I know it's been a while but I thought I'd post an update and let you all know that I was incorrect. Setting the AffinityMask did not cure the freezes unfortunately.

Haven't had much time to do any long flights over the summer months until the last week.  Got one 8min freeze during a 3hr flight in the T7.

Ah well...  Disappointing...

Thanks for posting this admission.  Not too many people come back and admit they were wrong.  Freezes are very frustrating and I used the procedure for setting up Process Monitor to monitor only FSX/FSX addon's (shown in the AVSIM CTD Guide on page 4) to find the cause of my repetitive freezes.  Process Monitor gives you an idea what is loading at the time of the freeze and, in my case it was MyTrafficX 5.4c that was trying to find a flight plan for an AI aircraft that did not exist.  I disabled MyTrafficX and the freezes went away.  This issue has not been fixed with MyTraffic6. 

It appears you have something trying to load and it cannot because the file or action is not there.  What's frustrating is this 8-minute freeze doesn't happen to everyone so an investigation is the only way to fix it.  Pe11e is on the right track.  I would disable everything in the dll.xml except the entry for the PMDG 777 (and the top entry).  Move your fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg to a temporary directory.  Let FSX rebuild these at the next startup.  Make some very, very minor changes to the fsx settings and go fly.  If there is no crash, then you have a problem with one of these files.  Move the old fsx.cfg back or enable all of the entries in the dll.xml and try again until the freeze occurs again.

If the freeze does not happen on every 3 hour flight but on occasion, then I would suspect a too high or too low voltage setting in your BIOS.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for posting this admission.  Not too many people come back and admit they were wrong.  Freezes are very frustrating and I used the procedure for setting up Process Monitor to monitor only FSX/FSX addon's (shown in the AVSIM CTD Guide on page 4) to find the cause of my repetitive freezes.  Process Monitor gives you an idea what is loading at the time of the freeze and, in my case it was MyTrafficX 5.4c that was trying to find a flight plan for an AI aircraft that did not exist.  I disabled MyTrafficX and the freezes went away.  This issue has not been fixed with MyTraffic6. 

It appears you have something trying to load and it cannot because the file or action is not there.  What's frustrating is this 8-minute freeze doesn't happen to everyone so an investigation is the only way to fix it.  Pe11e is on the right track.  I would disable everything in the dll.xml except the entry for the PMDG 777 (and the top entry).  Move your fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg to a temporary directory.  Let FSX rebuild these at the next startup.  Make some very, very minor changes to the fsx settings and go fly.  If there is no crash, then you have a problem with one of these files.  Move the old fsx.cfg back or enable all of the entries in the dll.xml and try again until the freeze occurs again.

If the freeze does not happen on every 3 hour flight but on occasion, then I would suspect a too high or too low voltage setting in your BIOS.

Best regards,

Thanks Jim.  I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong.  Plus it also helps the community know what works and what doesn't.

So just recently I've actually went the DX10 Fixer route.  So far I'm impressed on how far this little mod has come.  Steve's done a great job.  With the few hours I've done so far, stability (no freezes) has been great and the memory usage is much more efficient.  The real test will come when I get some time to do some good long hauls (Vatsim's CTP).

I'll keep ya updated.

Cheers!

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

Run this program : http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html

It can figure out exactly what is causing  FSX to hang. You can run it when you have a hang or just let it run in the background and if you have a hang it'll give info.

In my case it helped me to figure out my Corsair keyboard driver  was responsible for the freezing in FSX and P3D.

Good luck 

DX10 Fixer route. So far I'm impressed on how far this little mod has come. Steve's done a great job.

Totally agree.  I'm a DX10er ever since he released his first "fix".

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just another quick update and probably my last for this thread.  Been using Steve's DX10 Fixer for over 8 months now and not a single freeze since(knock on wood).  Been working great!  Highly recommend it for those still squeezing every last bit out of FSX.

Cheers!

Cheers,
Todd

CXA557-2.jpg

Nope, Sorry Todd tried everything you said. Was good for a few flights, then boom! 14 minute freeze 1 hour and 10 minutes into flight from KSAN to KIAD. 

Ken Ehlers
F70

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

If you have freezing one of the best fixes is to set AM to 14 regardless of what your cpu cores are. This is the fastest way to fix the freezing problem.  - David Lee

I've got very good results since a few years using "processs lasso" from bitsum.

W7/ 64 2600K.

Serge