Sign in to follow this  
Neutrino Flux

FSX .... End of an era

until someone at Microsoft develops a new platform and that might be happening based on some comments in a topic in the Hangar Chat. 

What did I miss?

It's nice to actually have options, and with a number of sims in active development, the future actually looks bright (quite a change from just a little while ago when MS pulled the plug on us...!).

What did I miss?

I think they are referring to DFS, Dovetail Flight Simulator, which is based on MS Flight technology, apparently. They are looking at 2016 release. It's Dovetail though, not Microsoft

Ouch !! Well I have to say I'm quiet taken aback by some of the replies !

The thread was simply to say I enjoyed FSX and am now moving onto P3D and maybe give it a go.

Perhaps some of you didn't grasp that in the title and thought FSX was finished ?

Anyway pretty disappointing response by some.

Sorry FSX is still superb and i'm going to keep all my addons and re-install it.......

Happy now ? Am I back in the club .....

The thread was simply to say I enjoyed FSX and am now moving onto P3D and maybe give it a go.

Perhaps some of you didn't grasp that in the title and thought FSX was finished ?

Anyway pretty disappointing response by some.

Sorry FSX is still superb and i'm going to keep all my addons and re-install it.......

Happy now ? Am I back in the club .....

Flip-Flopper! ;-)

What did I miss?

Oh, it's that bumped into this on the web topic in Hangar Chat....

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Fsx certainly isn't dead, yes development had come to an end, well looks like it at the moment, but there are still tons of new aircraft and addons coming for the simulator. P3D is quite similar to Fsx in many ways hence moving on is not quite as huge however yes P3D does have some exciting features Fsx doesn't.

SombreDusk

Emerald Simulations is a FSX developmental group who develop a variety of aircraft. More can be found on our webpage here

Support for Emerald Simulations can be found here: "http://forum.avsim.net/topic/468437-emerald-simulations-hiring/page-5#entry3237970"

Same as FSX really. We went for a long time with no updates and just continue on or move to X-Plane as our options. FS:SE hasn't really given us anything new with FSX in all honestly, other then they are now getting ORBX scenery 90 days earlier then everyone else. But it's the same with anything you use. LM will continue to update and we will reap those rewards. If they stop it, then we're only back to where we where with FSX for many years

For many of us X plane is NOT an option. Relatively few addons compared to the FSX catalog, a completely foreign file system than what we are used to, and it literally took me hours to figure out how to map all the buttons on my joystick. Granted, this was XPlane 9, but it was enough to make me never touch that sim again.

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

Just a slow day here I guess.

Besides, for people new to simming and just starting with FSX-SE this is the beginning of an Era for them, not the end of one.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

For many of us X plane is NOT an option. Relatively few addons compared to the FSX catalog, a completely foreign file system than what we are used to, and it literally took me hours to figure out how to map all the buttons on my joystick. Granted, this was XPlane 9, but it was enough to make me never touch that sim again.

And I don't disagree with you, but I just mean that if Lockheed stopped development for P3D we're only in the same situation we where in with FSX for many years

Besides, for people new to simming and just starting with FSX-SE this is the beginning of an Era for them, not the end of one.

Very well said.

I keep the best of both worlds, FSX with DX10 via Steve's Fixer is excellent as is P3D 2.5, I'm ready for whatever comes down the pike.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

My FSX is running just fine, I'm on an old plonker with sliders low and I love my flightsimulator. If I wanted an airportsimulator, I'd surely be on another platform.

But, as now my VA will start supporting P3D, I'll give it a shot.

From a very knowledgable friend, I've gotten the following points regarding P3D 2.5, in comparison with FSX:

- Trouble with antialiasing and performance with what aa is concerned (clouds)

- Lack of decent vsync

- At LOD 6.5 blurrier textures closer to the aircraft (problem shows quite well in mountainous areas)

- Faster OOMs than in FSX.

But, I'm sure I can't keep away... :)

Cheers,

23.png

Well that's it... I've moved on and said goodbye to FSX. I've put FSX and all my boxed software that's not compatible with P3D up for sale....

I've had some great times with the sim and spent far too many hours !!

I'm delighted with P3D ! If you have not tried it yet then please do !!

I am doing the same, I also think that looking forward Lockheed Martin will be able to put a lot more effort and time into developing their product than Dovetail.

Well, can't say I blame OP. If P3D fulfilled all of my needs I'd probably do the same since I don't have any desire to maintain two sims.  As it stands, I fly FSX, primarily, and P3D every now and then.  Perhaps, someday it'll be there for me as well.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM