Sign in to follow this  
Neutrino Flux

FSX .... End of an era

Well that's it... I've moved on and said goodbye to FSX. I've put FSX and all my boxed software that's not compatible with P3D up for sale....

I've had some great times with the sim and spent far too many hours !!

I'm delighted with P3D ! If you have not tried it yet then please do !!

I installed P3D v2.5 the other day and have so far flown without any addons.  I  was really impressed when flying in and around clouds watching the lighting change in the VC, quite realistic.  The future of the sim is quite exciting.

Having said that I think there is still a lot of life left for FSX.  I have been using Steve's DX10 fixer and numerous addons which have brought me many hours of enjoyment.  One thing that has improved my experience was the discovery of flying in pseudo full screen mode.  The use of this has brought extra smoothness to the sim:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/427858-pseudo-full-screen-tip/

The hotkey combination referred to is the Win+F11 keys and you have to enable Windows Aero mode after starting the sim and associated programs.

\Robert Hamlich/

FSX is still alive and well.  Definitely not the "end of an era".  I have both sims installed on my system.  Enjoy using both.  Developers are still making products for FSX and most FSX software works in P3D too.  FSX will live on until someone at Microsoft develops a new platform and that might be happening based on some comments in a topic in the Hangar Chat.  Then, and only then, will the lights on FSX be turned off.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

End of an Era for him perhaps??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I was ready to write the same thing! :P

I tried P3D v2.4 and wasn't impressed at all, sorry.

I actually use P3D - - my post above with just to those folks jumping on the guy with all the reasons they still play FSX. I say good for you and good for the OP. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Please, for goodness sake, :t0102: PLEASE, not yet another 'my sim is better than your sim!!

Our mods should know better. :Shame On You:  :t0152:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Are you sure you want to sell the add-ons? Developers may release a patch to get it working later on down the line.

Also is that psudo full screen the same as the FSX-Borderless exe that's also floating around? It's probably one of the best tools I have, oddly

Well that's it... I've moved on and said goodbye to FSX. I've put FSX and all my boxed software that's not compatible with P3D up for sale....

Why should anyone care?

I hear that people are extra delighted with FS98. There is a super spectacular thread on this a few pages back!

Please close the door on your way out. :P

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I actually use P3D - - my post above with just to those folks jumping on the guy with all the reasons they still play FSX. I say good for you and good for the OP. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Spot on mate!

Nick - glad you're happy with P3D. Not tried it myself.

Although I did sell my boxed edition FSX because I moved to Steam.

Not that anyone will care... B)

Ian

You should be aware that the moment that LMCo feels that the resources that go into P3D aren't giving sufficient ROI or would be better used elsewhere, that P3D will be gone. I worked for LM for over 8 years on advanced projects and concepts and know very well how the company works.  I would also rather not put myself at the mercy of the FSX: SE folks.

DJ

You should be aware that the moment that LMCo feels that the resources that go into P3D aren't giving sufficient ROI or would be better used elsewhere, that P3D will be gone. I worked for LM for over 8 years on advanced projects and concepts and know very well how the company works.  I would also rather not put myself at the mercy of the FSX: SE folks.

DJ

As they say... S*&! happens! If and when that happens, I'll be ready with FSX, FSX:SE, x-Plane or whatever other goodliness is out there...

You should be aware that the moment that LMCo feels that the resources that go into P3D aren't giving sufficient ROI or would be better used elsewhere, that P3D will be gone.

Same as FSX really. We went for a long time with no updates and just continue on or move to X-Plane as our options. FS:SE hasn't really given us anything new with FSX in all honestly, other then they are now getting ORBX scenery 90 days earlier then everyone else. But it's the same with anything you use. LM will continue to update and we will reap those rewards. If they stop it, then we're only back to where we where with FSX for many years