Sign in to follow this  
Neutrino Flux

FSX .... End of an era

Remember guys, this forum should not about who flies which sim, or which is better, or what we prefer or even why we are not changing from one sim to another! Shame%20On%20You.gif

It has been posted elsewhere, on uncountable occasions what this discussion has ended up as!Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif

It actually started with Nick's comment that he is moving from FSX to P3D, & should be about his journey there. (& best wishes, from those who would wish it!).  :p0503:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Agreed. However, stating facts and having a good discussion or debate is good. I realize we all have done this many times over. What I don't like is when folks start telling others they are wrong. If you enjoy SE then great! If you enjoy P3D that's great too!

Remember guys, this forum should not about who flies which sim, or which is better, or what we prefer or even why we are not changing from one sim to another! Shame%20On%20You.gif

Don't understand your reasoning behind that statement Robbie. This forum is all about what you fly and why.

It actually started with Nick's comment that he is moving from FSX to P3D, & should be about his journey there. (& best wishes, from those who would wish it!)

If the discussion was only about that there would be no discussion! I'm not about to tell him he's wrong switching. Wouldn't dream of it. My post was why I'm staying with FSX:MS. A not unreasonably stance to take I think.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If the discussion was only about that there would be no discussion! I'm not about to tell him he's wrong switching. Wouldn't dream of it. My post was why I'm staying with FSX:MS. A not unreasonably stance to take I think.

Not an unreasonable thing at all.  For me, the big reasons I'm staying with FSX are:

• AA in P3D is still not where I have it with FSX.
  • I like to fly the Flight1 Mustang.

Pretty simple.  At some point there'll be a replacement for the Mustang which will nudge me closer to switching.  In terms of AA, who knows when or if that will be solved.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

One thing that I've always wondered about with P3D is the different licences. The Pro one is expensive but is logo-free. The Academic price is more to my liking but I wonder how intrusive that logo is.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, that logo is so minimal. If you did know know about it, you would not see it.

It is obviously your choice to which license to use, but for me, academically speaking, I am learning the whole time. I'm not a Pro! (lol)

Also, there is a 30 day refund, so if you do find the logo problematic.....

(BTW, I meant discussion earlier on, not forum. Sorry for that)

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Thanks for the info about the licence logo Wobbie. I've had separate confirmation privately about its size too.

But until such time as FS Labs make Concorde-X compatible with P3D I won't consider the move. And that seems unlikely given its complexity. Steam is as far as they'll probably go.

Thanks for clearing up your other comment too. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

One thing that I've always wondered about with P3D is the different licences. The Pro one is expensive but is logo-free. The Academic price is more to my liking but I wonder how intrusive that logo is.

Honestly, I can't say I've ever even noticed it. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Mmmmm. A problem then. However, P3Dv2.5 is different to V2.4 that was very FSXish, so there could/maybe be a porting over problem. many have been very successful in porting over FSX stuff, with 100% success. Thats where the refund comes in if things do not work.

VERY strictly speaking, I repeat.. VERY, as P3D is a 'Not for enterainment' product, certain developers are not developing for a 'professional' product & only for an 'entertainment' one.

(Phew, I hope that explains)

My 'end of era' was getting P3Dv1.4 when it was released. Yup, an older version. I did, even then, prefer that version to FSX, which I then dumped. Unfortunatly, my laptop, an i5, 4GB ram, 64bit, is NOT DX11 compliant, which is what P3Dv2.4 & above needs. Dxdiag tells me that I have DX11 software, but my hardware is DX10! Oh well, I might not have the latest, but, for me, still P3Dv1.4 is preferable to FSX.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Having to pay twice for some of my best add-ons, and even a higher bill to get them running in P3D v2 was one of the reasons that kept me away from changing...

Then, having an old i5 and a 1GB graphics card ( 650 Ti ) is yet another good reason to fear taking the plunge.... There will be less than required water in the tank.... and I might get seriously injured :)

This doesn't mean I do not see with good eyes the decision to migrate, if one has the hardware to properly run P3Dv2.

I used DX10 mode for a while in FSX, and then FSX:SE but reverted back to DX9, so, I guess yet another good reason to jump to P3Dv2 are the graphics, with the DX11 standard.

If I had the right rig, a good i7 with an extraordinary 4GB GDDR5 graphics board, I would seriously consider P3Dv2 too. Having the money to spend in that hardware would turn into peanuts the licenses for my PMDG 777 and NGX, or any other add-ons that I might have to buy again...

It is, just like everything in life, a cost / benefit analysis, the process of decision, an sometimes also passion :)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I guess yet another good reason to jump to P3Dv2 are the graphics, with the DX11 standard.

Once DX12 is released, I'm sure they will be upgrading to DX12 standards.  FSX cannot do this or FSX-SE.  X-Plane can upgrade too.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well thought Jim....

X-Plane was a disappointment for me :-/ though... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It has been posted elsewhere, on uncountable occasions what this discussion has ended up as!Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif

It actually started with Nick's comment that he is moving from FSX to P3D, & should be about his journey there. (& best wishes, from those who would wish it!).  :p0503:

In that case this thread shouldn't even exist, let alone with a title like "FSX .... End of an era".

Well thought Jim....

X-Plane was a disappointment for me :-/ though... 

X-Plane was like a revelation to me on the other hand. Now I was lucky in that Ireland had perfect colour matched satellite imagery for me to use but it was like the sim I always hoped would someday exist. We are a diverse community even within our particular niche. 

There is no end to FSX that I've seen. I kept a new copy in the drawer for more than a year, until I went for a high powered system. And now I'm running the high power setup with FSX & X-Plane 10. I had planned on using both, from the beginning.  XPlane is not new to me, because I had versions 8 & 9, as well as 20 years of demos before it.

Both sims run very well & fluid. I see frame rates that have exceeded 200. For the most part, 40's into the 60's are normal with payware airplanes and good scenery. I have seen some dip into the low 30's and possibly high 20's with BOTH sims. Happily, the low frame rates are not the norm.

FSX certainly isn't dead, and the end is not in sight. I just purchased two new A2A planes, in addition to some older models. And these are for FSX, as well as P3D. The flight models & graphics are outstanding, as well as the sounds!  I fly these in addition to my RealAirs, which always excelled with some of the best GA flight dynamics possible..................in ANY sim.  

I've also got into the Orbx scenery thing. Didn't do much of that with my previous computer.  Once again, the look of the whole picture is truly marvelous.  It really makes me feel as though I'm there. I spent many years of real flight, owning a plane, and being an airport junkie, as I spent so much time there. Orbx helps relive the memories.

And then there is X-Plane 10. Considering I live in mountain country, and flew mountain country.....................XP-10 does a great job of depicting the look of mountain & desert country. It just has a sharp & detailed look to it. There are free files available, to increase the visuals even more. The water & reflections looks real good.  Night lights at the airport are one of X-Planes benefits.

Any of these battles concerning flight dynamics between X-Planes blade element theory, and Microsoft's lookup tables, have fallen on deaf ears from me. I've always known better, because I flew a lot of different planes in real life.  There is no such thing, as one sim being labeled arcade versus a true sim, although it's often said, by the unknowing, on the internet.  Either sim is capable of well thought out, and programmed, FD. However, I have yet to find an X-Plane that beats RealAir & A2A for overall realistic flight dynamics. I'm sure that we can always pick things apart for a few examples, of where a particular sim, with a particular airplane does better.

So........................since no smoke has covered my eyes, from all the different thoughts that I've read, I can go by my own real life flying instincts, and continue to use both sims. I don't have to wait for some future scenery or plane, to take place of something I liked with a previous sim. I don't have to jump ships, convert, or anything like that. Both sims run amazing well, and I have yet to notice a difference between 32 & 64 bit. But then, I don't fly tube liners for hours, either.