Sign in to follow this  
Kermit_70

Carenado F33A vs A2A Cessna 182 ?

Hello,

I am looking for a GA single piston FSX aircraft to practice my IFR and medium / long cross country flights.

So far I used Carenado Bonanza F33A with Reality XP gauges FLT, FLN and GNS 430. Very nice, indeed.

Now I see that A2A came out with a beautiful simulation of Cessna 182. I know it is a bit slower than the Bonanza and does not have retractable gears (the two things are correlated, I believe...), but both are "complex" aircraft in the sense that have constant prop speed control.

What is better, especially for IFR?

I see that I could use my XP GNS 430 and an HSI on Cessna 182 as well, but I don't know how good is the autopilot Bendix King KAP 140 that A2A is simulating on the Cessna. 

Any comments on this, please? Should I switch to high-wings for IFR?

Thanks!

Hello,

I am looking for a GA single piston FSX aircraft to practice my IFR and medium / long cross country flights.

So far I used Carenado Bonanza F33A with Reality XP gauges FLT, FLN and GNS 430. Very nice, indeed.

Now I see that A2A came out with a beautiful simulation of Cessna 182. I know it is a bit slower than the Bonanza and does not have retractable gears (the two things are correlated, I believe...), but both are "complex" aircraft in the sense that have constant prop speed control.

What is better, especially for IFR?

I see that I could use my XP GNS 430 and an HSI on Cessna 182 as well, but I don't know how good is the autopilot Bendix King KAP 140 that A2A is simulating on the Cessna. 

Any comments on this, please? Should I switch to high-wings for IFR?

Thanks

Define IFR?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I wouldn't say that one is better than the other for flying IFR.  They both field a full complement of instrumentation.

However, the degree to which the actual aircraft are simulated is a whole different story.  The A2A 182 is more complex by a large margin if you wish it to be so, by virtue of the systems modeled. You have to pay more attention to how you're flying the aircraft. You can actually simulate ownership of the aircraft, complete with walkarounds and maintenance.

However, whether that means it's 'better' is highly subjective.  The Carenado F33A happens to be one of my all time favorites, and it's lack of simulated complexity doesn't really change that.  It really just comes down to personal choice.  I like the 182 as well, but it's more like a pickup truck as opposed to a classic car.

Another option for you to look at might be the Lancair Legacy by RealAir.  It's also beautifully done, with very well done instrumentation.  Fast, too, with the added complexity of retractable speed brakes on the wings.  Great flight modeling as well.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

You might also consider the Flight 1 T182T - especially if you like the idea of a 182 with a bit more speed.