Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Anyone knows how to fix this - wrong surface type at Aerosoft ESSA in P3Dv2

Noticed since I replaced FSX with P3Dv2 how taxiing at ESSA has become rather jumpy and it looks the reason for this is the surface type at Aerosoft ESSA taxiways for whatever reason is gravel rather than asphalt in P3Dv2 and hence the jumpy ride.

Here's a short clip showing this looking at the dirt behind the wheels of this Norwegian B738 taxiing.

Anyone else noticed this and managed to fix it or know how it could be fixed? Of course the most natural thing would be to ask Aerosoft if they could look into this but considering the age of this scenery I'm afraid it's highly unlikely Aerosoft would invest any time into fixing this issue and especially in P3Dv2 which this scenery of course is not officially compatible with.

In another thread someone suggested to load the Aerosoft ESSA bgl into ADE and I did try that but as far as I could tell (being a 100% rookie when it comes to ADE...) the taxiways I checked did appear to be correctly defined using asphalt as surface so not sure why P3Dv2 thinks the taxiways have gravel as surface?! This was never a problem in FSX.

Richard Åsberg

Not a single view in 3 days...sometimes I do pick interesting subjects I guess :wink:

Would really like to find a way to fix this if possible since ESSA is my home airport and I do lots of flying into and out from there.

Richard Åsberg

As I don´t have that problem (P3D v2.5) I look into the topic but have no solution.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

I wonder if Aerosoft ESSA has underlying AFD taxiways that determine the surface type? If this is the case, then it may be that the Draw Flags for the taxi paths need to be reset (a known issue with P3D). Do you have Airport Design Editor installed? If so, open up the ESSA AFD file, then select Taxi Links from the Lists menu, and left click on Reset Draw Flags. Save, and check it again in P3D (make a backup copy of your AFD file first).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

As I don´t have that problem (P3D v2.5) I look into the topic but have no solution.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Very strange how I have this issue and you don't when we're using the same scenery and the save version of P3D...hmm...

I wonder if Aerosoft ESSA has underlying AFD taxiways that determine the surface type? If this is the case, then it may be that the Draw Flags for the taxi paths need to be reset (a known issue with P3D). Do you have Airport Design Editor installed? If so, open up the ESSA AFD file, then select Taxi Links from the Lists menu, and left click on Reset Draw Flags. Save, and check it again in P3D (make a backup copy of your AFD file first).

Thanks for the tip. I already tried this though to no avail but I'll have a second look making sure I didn't do anything wrong.

Richard Åsberg

Unfortunately I can´t help you with that issue. 

Jack

the Swede in Spain

What else is in there that's changing airport textures? REX, Zinertek, Orbx?

I don't have ESSA. Does it have a configuration program that's set for winter and what you're seeing is snow kicked up by the wheels?

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I agree, it looks normal to me for winter.  Try setting the date to mid summer and see if it persists.

It does come with a season config tool so will double-check it's not set to winter but I don't think that's the issue. This slow, continuous bumping up and down while taxiing is something I never seen before regardless season.

As for other products I do have all global Orbx stuff installed such as FTX Global, openLC and Vector and also FS Global Ultimate Mesh. Still I think this is something specific to P3D because as I already mentioned I never had this issue in FSX using the exact same scenery.

Just took off from Berlin-Tegel and paid close attention to any bumping while taxiing but none so this sure is specific to Aerosoft Stockholm-Arlanda.

One thing I tried before I took off from Berlin-Tegel was to install the P3D SDK and ADE and I then reset all draw flags as suggested by Christopher a few posts back. Will be interesting to see if that will make any difference but I'm pretty sure I already tried this before to no avail.

Richard Åsberg

Hi Richard,

Watched the video a few more times. Are you referring to the spray from the wheels or a bumpy ride along the taxiway? I notice the spray but not any bumping. Next time you're at ESSA try taxiing off the pavement onto the grass (go ahead, no one's looking) and see if there is any change in sounds/vibrations/noise. Then try it at another airport for any differences.

The one thing I've noticed about the draw flag problem in P3D is that even though the taxiways look like grass, they behave like concrete or asphalt. Kinda like concrete painted to look like grass.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Just made a very short clip featuring me taxiing into gate 5 right after I landed at ESSA. I realize it might be very hard to see the bumpiness I'm referring to in the clip and after I recorded it I also realized I should have taxied a longer distance. That would have make it easier to spot the bumpiness I guess but if you look a bit ahead of the aircraft you might see that the v/c is slowly moving up and down while rolling down the taxiway and apron.

To answer your questions Jay looking at the spray was something I thought would be an indication P3D interprets the surface wrong at ESSA because you shouldn't see that effect when taxiing along a taxiway made of concrete or asphalt but you will see the same effect if you taxi a GA aircraft for example on a runway made of grass. And as you say, it's not possible to spot the bumpiness from an external view, you only see/experience it when you're sitting in the v/c looking straight ahead...slow, continuous movements up and down.

Edited to add I forgot to mention that apparently resetting those draw flags didn't help I'm afraid.

Here's the link to the short clip, hopefully you'll be able to see what I'm talking about or if not I'll make another clip later on.

Richard Åsberg

Sorry Richard, but I don't see any bouncing there?

I think I can detect slight bouncing, but it's difficult to see from the VC of an aircraft the size of a Boeing 737. I have responded in your Aerosoft forum thread, Richard. I thought that you might need some support, since Aerosoft can be a little bit slow when responding to questions of this nature.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I believe, you'll have to disable/remove the "essarwy_exc.bgl" located in the scenery's "Scenery" folder.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

I went ahead and installed this scenery in P3D just to see what happens. I do get a slight undulation, not really bouncing. Actually, it was kind of realistic since taxiways and even runways are not perfectly smooth. I didn't taxi all over the airport though either.

NAX669.png