Sign in to follow this  
matt127

The most stable OS for Prepar3D?

I'm looking at buying a new PC from Overclockers and have the choice between Windows 7 and Windows 8. I see that Prepar3D's website recommends Windows 7, but with Windows 8 being newer I am torn between the two.

What are your experiences and opinions of the two operating systems and which would you recommend?

Windows 7 all day long.

8.1 has major issues with joystick disconnecting randomly plus many developers will not support it.

I'm on 8.1 and I did have a few teething issues with EZDOK, it was easy enough to sort out. You can get around the joystick disconnecting issue a few ways, but you do need to make a change to the power settings in windows, which is easy enough. I've heard of people using FSUIPC to fix the joystick disconnecting issue, but I've got a fix that works which is just to open the USB game controller page again and it kicks back in. Pretty easy fix. But, you could go for W7 and you'll get the Windows 10 upgrade free when that comes out this year.

Also one thing about Overclockers, you can get 12 months interest free with them. It's really amazing, I was buying a few components to get me started it, then saw that and bought everything in on go. Paid off in 6 months and the only charge was a £25 fee :D

+1 on Overclockers, nice folks

but I've got a fix that works which is just to open the USB game controller page again and it kicks back in

That must do wonders for your immersion, an OS really should not randomly disconnect USB attached hardware, If it does then it is broken basically.

Thanks for the information guys. I think Windows 7 I will opt for and yeah it's cool that you get the free upgrade to Windows 10, but I think that might be because Windows 8 hasn't been as big as Microsoft expected it to be I don't think.

I moved to Malta, so I'm not sure if they will deliver a fully built system, nor am I sure how I am going to get it out here in the first place, but time will tell! I don't think I can build a PC, so buying the parts separately might be an issue.

Well it's more to do with getting it out as far as possible. They are really trying to attract developers to their phone and tablet side of business and conving them that their code will work from phones to tablets to computers to TV's to an XBox will, they hope, really attract them, and so people we will want to buy it. Either way, it's good for us!

Building a computer is really easy, CPU's don't even have pins you can bend anymore! But I can see why you might think it's daunting. I buy a magazine called Custom PC and they have a section with 4 different budgets, and the best components for that budget for a PC. It's really good, well worth checking out. My PC came in two boxes when I ordered from Overclockers. One box with the case, and a second box which had all of the components boxed up inside it. So as long as they can post to Malta, I see no reason why not, they'll get it to you

Running P3D 2.5 on Windows 8.1 here

No problems whatsoever. No random joystick disconnects even after not touching it for 2+ hours. That seemed to be an FSX-ism on my system. It runs at a steady 30fps on my modest system with the Airbus X:

i5 3330 @ 3.2 GHz

GTX 750ti

8GB 1600 RAM

Addons used:
REX 4 2048x2048 clouds and 4K runways/taxiways

Active Sky Next for weather

Several airport and scenery addons from FSDT, LatinVFR, Flight Beam, etc.

Aerosoft Airbus X

CS 757

PMDG NGX

EZDok which originally had some issues but I sorted it out after watching a video on YT

Soooo glad I converted.

Well it's more to do with getting it out as far as possible. They are really trying to attract developers to their phone and tablet side of business and conving them that their code will work from phones to tablets to computers to TV's to an XBox will, they hope, really attract them, and so people we will want to buy it. Either way, it's good for us!

Building a computer is really easy, CPU's don't even have pins you can bend anymore! But I can see why you might think it's daunting. I buy a magazine called Custom PC and they have a section with 4 different budgets, and the best components for that budget for a PC. It's really good, well worth checking out. My PC came in two boxes when I ordered from Overclockers. One box with the case, and a second box which had all of the components boxed up inside it. So as long as they can post to Malta, I see no reason why not, they'll get it to you

I have watched a few YouTube videos on building a PC, but with my budget being around £2200 I am a bit skeptical just in case I damage a part trying to build it and I don't know how to setup BIOS or anything like that :(

I sent them a webnote and they said they deliver to Malta, but not fully built PCs, so I guess they would send it as you said, in two boxes.

You can get a beast for that! I spent about 1700 I think, but my case was very expensive, about £230. Unless you want to overclock, you never need to touch the BIOS.

Screw in motherboard to the screw holes

put CPU in (it has arrows to show you the correct way)

Push RAM in to slots (it's labelled)

Connect PSU to the corresponding power ports (they're labelled)

Connect drives

Install Windows

Might be worth a look on youtube or something. This might help, though it's a bit long and he over-clocks it at the end, but it's pretty much what's involved

You can get a beast for that! I spent about 1700 I think, but my case was very expensive, about £230. Unless you want to overclock, you never need to touch the BIOS.

Screw in motherboard to the screw holes

put CPU in (it has arrows to show you the correct way)

Push RAM in to slots (it's labelled)

Connect PSU to the corresponding power ports (they're labelled)

Connect drives

Install Windows

Might be worth a look on youtube or something. This might help, though it's a bit long and he over-clocks it at the end, but it's pretty much what's involved

Thanks for that and for the video. I will watch it now! That is the other thing, I am looking at a particular system on Overclockers, mainly because it's overclocked to 4.6GHz which will boost my FPS massively, I guess if I built it I would need to overclock and I can't do that.

I can see your point there. I'm trying to overclock and I've got up to 3.8 but not pushing it higher till I've got water coooling since I'm hitting 100 degrees too easily at full load. It's a slow process that can be daunting at first and sometimes it can be easier to let someone else deal with pain.

Best of luck anyway

Thanks for the information guys. I think Windows 7 I will opt for and yeah it's cool that you get the free upgrade to Windows 10, but I think that might be because Windows 8 hasn't been as big as Microsoft expected it to be I don't think.

I moved to Malta, so I'm not sure if they will deliver a fully built system, nor am I sure how I am going to get it out here in the first place, but time will tell! I don't think I can build a PC, so buying the parts separately might be an issue.

Seeing you live in Malta----a beautiful place, specially the old harbour------you should be able to get a UK publication called Custom PC. Everyone you need to know how to put together a PC in there. Or the last issue had. Don't have a scanner otherwise I'd have scanned the pages for you.

Seeing you live in Malta----a beautiful place, specially the old harbour------you should be able to get a UK publication called Custom PC. Everyone you need to know how to put together a PC in there. Or the last issue had. Don't have a scanner otherwise I'd have scanned the pages for you.

Yeah it's nice, the bills are nicer because they don't really exist haha! Thanks for that and for the offer, the overclocking worries me. I am half tempted to have Overclockers deliver to my UK address and then have someone send it to me with UPS + insurance.

I almost went to Malta on a business trip, but was sent to Gibralter instead. I think I lost on that one. You could do it that way, or find another supplier. Although I bet all the big suppliers in the UK, scan etc are probably the same. You'd pay a fair bit for insurance but probably won't be that bad. Can't be as bad as trying to send half a million quids worth of kit in to China!

I almost went to Malta on a business trip, but was sent to Gibralter instead. I think I lost on that one. You could do it that way, or find another supplier. Although I bet all the big suppliers in the UK, scan etc are probably the same. You'd pay a fair bit for insurance but probably won't be that bad. Can't be as bad as trying to send half a million quids worth of kit in to China!

You missed out! You should come it's quite a nice place and we even have a house that we own next door, we rent it out to holiday makers, but it's usually empty during the winter. Yeah I think I will have to do it that way to be honest and just hope it doesn't get damaged. The parcel companies for some reason don't seem to want to ensure PC monitors though.