Sign in to follow this  
BrianG

How beneficial is overclocking a 4790k

Hi All,

My old system died so I'm looking to do a new build. Here's what I'm looking at:

CPU- 4790k

GPU- Nvidia Geforce  GTX 970 4GB

MB - ASRock Fatal 1TY Z97 LGA 1150

Case - Cooler Masters Storm Scout 2

PSU - Corsair RM series 750W

RAM - 8 GB Trident DDR3 SDRAM 2133 mhz

Primary HD - Samsung Evo 500GB SSD

Second HD - 1TB WD Black 7200 rmp  Sata 6.0 GB/S

Cooling - Corsair Hydro Series H80i liquid cooler

I don't feel comfortable overclocking and can't find anyone who will do it for me. Is overclocking   (4.4 - 4.8) necessary to get the best out such a system listed above. What kind of a performance penalty will be paid by not over clocking?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Brian

If you are not going to be overclocking, the Cooler seems like a waste of money...

This system will run very nicely at 4.0 GHz, so overclocking is IMHO not strictly necessary.

Bert

Thanks Bert. If I were to OC, running FSdreamteam, PMDG, Orbyx, some cloud layers, 40% AI, sliders set close to the right would I see a noticeable improvement , or would the 4 ghz keep the system stable and looking good regardless if I OC or not.

Thanks again.

I'm not sure that question can be answered...

When you've got your system running, you should adjust the sliders to make sure you have a smooth running sim.

Overclocking will always give you additional CPU power, and yes you may well be able to move some slider further to the right, or get better framerates at some airport if you overclock.

Lastly, any system can be overloaded if you add enough addons... overclocked or not overclocked.

Bert

Overclocking is certainly not necessary, however it will give you a nice performance boost. But: If you go into overclocking the 4790K then make sure you take some time reading how to properly overclock Haswells as Haswells tend to be more difficult to overclock than older generation CPUs. Because there is nothing more annoying than an unstable overclock and then getting constant CTDs on your flights. There are so many people around here who don't have a clue about overclocking and then complain about CTDs. So if you have the time and stamina to learn how to do it properly then go for it. If not, then enjoy the great performance of the stock 4790K.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Brian,

You should be able to pop into the BIOS and set the CPU to run at the 4.4 GHZ "turbo-boost" speed all the time. This is well within the specs of the CPU and would answer your question as to whether or not over-clocking was going to benefit your system. With an older H60, I see a max of 65C under load in P3D v 2.4.

Respectfully,

Brian

Hi BrianG

I just purchased a system identical to yours. It came "overclocked" to 4.4. Runs fine so far. I have 120mm water cooling for the CPU and 5 other fans for the components. I went for the EVGA GPU 970 with two fans on board. I have sound insulation and even with all those fans spinning nothing can be heard. I run with all sliders pegged to the right except traffic. The only tweaks I put into FSX.cfg are HighMemFix, WideView, and LOD=6.5. I fix frames at 30 and it stays there. On the other hand I don't fly the PMDG 777 into JFK either. I fly bizjets and GA aircraft into small to medium size airports and enjoy the scenery.

Brian,

Mine is the same system.  A two month old i4790K with a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gamer 4GB on a Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2.   I had a "Professional" help me overclock to 4.6GHz.  I suspect it was not done properly. The system ran fairly stable but was loud and operating temps ran much higher than I expected, mid 70s to a max of around 80C with a Corsair H100i liquid cooling system.  I pulled the system back to operate at the 4.4 turbo boost and have seen no noticeable performance loss in FSX.  The biggest gain was the drastic drop in operation temps. Now under full Load have never exceeded 58C and I sleep much better at night. The system now is extremely quiet. The i4790K/GTX 970 is a great combo for FSX.  I run with all scenery sliders maxed with exception of water effects which is set at High 2.x. LOD set at 7.0. I have the  FPS locked at 33 in FSX and I rarely see FPS below the mid to low 20s even in High density areas, stays at 33FPS 90 percent of the time.  This performance is with all the Orbx FTX areas including Global, Global Vector and openLC Europe as well as Ultimate Traffic 2 set at 80 percent airline traffic and 30 percent GA............................ You will be very happy with that system at stock speeds, the cpu runs at a full 4.4GHz in FSX .......................... 

Thanks everyone. These posts are a big help. I didn't realize you can pop into the bios and merely set the CPU to turbo boost (4.4 ghz) by checking a box, thus avoiding all the overclocking drama. Is this true?

.For those running at 4.4, would you consider liquid cooling to be essential. In a earlier post, it was recommended leaving the CPU at 4.0 would not require liquid cooling.

Cheers,

Brian

I also recently built a very similar system. While I am not currently overclocking, I built it so that I can when the system starts getting a little long in the tooth. Personally I went with the H100 over the H80 for water cooling for the increased radiator and cooling potential. This is something I would recommend you look at for your build. Especially with the new version of the H100 that was recently released.

If you are intimidated by water cooling, as I initially was, look at the Noctura air coolers. They are huge, but work great. But once I got the H100 installed and running, I couldn't be happier. Now I have an unopened Noctura NH-D14 sitting here I can't return. :)

Side note, if you go with an H100, be sure to get the newer version. When Corsair released the drivers for the new version, they had a bug that caused the software for the old version to not work correctly effectively shutting off the cooling. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

Overclocking is always more beneficial than not overclocking. 

It gives you more CPU power.  Higher Ghz is better than low Ghz.

What is there to argue about?

:lol:

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

To my knowledge you do NOT need liquid cooling for a modest over clock. (For reference on my older i7 2600k I OC'ed to 4.8 on a Noctua DH14 with no issues).

If you are getting an ASUS motherboard, they have a over clocking utility. It will provide a stable OC, but will also use more volts than needed. However, if you are just jumping into the OC pool. it should be OK for a modest OC.

Best of luck!!!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

I agree 100% for ASUS boards. My 4790k is now stable at 5ghz after a combination of automatic settings and manual voltage control. Asus maximus vii Hero. My Sim came to life and will not stutter no matter what I throw at it. At unlimited my frames go no lower than 40 and extremely smooth. So yes, if you have a 4790k, overclock it!! If you are cautious its not risky at all.

I should add I am using a Nepton 120xl for these clock speeds.

If you do go for the 4.4 setting (which I agree is a good idea), extra cooling (air or water) is likely a good investment.

Bert

If you are getting an ASUS motherboard, they have a over clocking utility. It will provide a stable OC, but will also use more volts than needed. However, if you are just jumping into the OC pool. it should be OK for a modest OC.

I can agree with the usefulness of the ASUS overclocking utility.  It's quite handy.  I use it for mildly overclocking my system to 4.2, at which I have generally no problem maintaining my locked 30 fps.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.