Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

FSX Map as a Window?

Is there any way to make the FSX map view as a window that can be toggled on/off. I'd like to have it open and watch my position. Thanks, Bob.

Please delete or close this thread. I found how to do it but it does not function as a moving map which is what I wanted. Bob.

Hi Bob, I think that even the plane's static map will be of help, without stopping the simulation as in just checking quickly your  position. How is it done?  And how's it on frames? It would be better the moving plane but maybe there's away, somehow...

Thanks.

John.

Here's what I did.

I added 

WindowXX=Map (Where xx is the next window number)

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Windowxx]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=140,140
window_size_ratio=1.000  
position=7
visible=1
ident=222
window_size= 0.310, 0.400
window_pos= 0.000, 0.050
type=SPECIAL

gauge00=map!map,  0,10,140,129
gauge01=map!zoom,  0,0,24,10

I wanted a moving map so I could watch my progress while using the HMS Bounty sailing ship. It has zoom capability. I made a toggle icon to call it up. Works fine. I did not see any frames hit. I get 30 fps. Bob.

Hi Bob,

Sounds interesting.  When I first saw this thread I thought of opening a new window and selecting Top Down view.  The window can be re-sized as desired.  Also, in the scenery.cfg you can edit the top down view to show weather and the clouds move synchronously with the wind speed and direction.  While I'm at it, is Map! a default gauge file or something that FSX just understands?

Jim F. 

Hi Jim. As it turns out the map.cab is a gauge I seem to have acquired over the years. It is dated as 2005. I should have checked it before posting this as most won't have the gauge. It works fine in FSX. I like it as it does not have all the baggage as the GPS has. I made it and have it installed in Milton Shupe's HMS Bounty. All I wanted to see was the water and the land and my present position while I sail. Bob.

in the scenery.cfg you can edit the top down view to show weather and the clouds move synchronously with the wind speed and direction.

How do you do that?

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi N60J,

I should have said "Cameras.cfg".  Sorry about the confusion.  Anyway the one in the same folder as FSX.cfg.

Here's the Top Down view section showing the edit:

[CameraDefinition.006]
Title = Top-Down
Guid = {A2849229-938A-448f-8AC6-01EF2291C171}
Description = This is the description of the map or top down view.
Origin = Center
SnapPbhAdjust = Orthogonal
PanPbhAdjust = Orthogonal
Track = None
ShowAxis = Yes
AllowZoom = Yes
InitialZoom = 256
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes //No
XyzAdjust = FALSE
Transition = No
ShowLensFlare=FALSE
Category = Outside
HotKeySelect=4

Jim F.

Bob,

I've been using FS Earth for years. It sounds like something that would give you what you want.

http://www.wideview.it/fsearth/

I run it on a separate PC with WideClient but it can run on a FSX PC. It's not currently compatible with Steam.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Is there any way to make the FSX map view as a window that can be toggled on/off. I'd like to have it open and watch my position. Thanks, Bob.

Please delete or close this thread. I found how to do it but it does not function as a moving map which is what I wanted. Bob.

if you have a 7" or 10" android pad there is a app called 'FlightMap', it has a few other functions as well.

bob

Bob,

I've been using FS Earth for years. It sounds like something that would give you what you want.

http://www.wideview.it/fsearth/

I run it on a separate PC with WideClient but it can run on a FSX PC. It's not currently compatible with Steam.

Thanks ray. It looks good. What kind of framerate loss would we get on a single monitor? Bob.

if you have a 7" or 10" android pad there is a app called 'FlightMap', it has a few other functions as well.

bob

Thanks. I don't have any smart pads. Bob.

Thanks. I don't have any smart pads. Bob.

You don't need a 'smart pad' whatever that is. The map can be displayed either on your primary FSX display or on another PC connected via WideFS.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks fot the info Ray. I assumed that 7" or 10" android pad meant a smart pad. I know nothing about smart phones, tablets or iPads. I am old school. Bob.

Ray, does FSEarth work with PMDG flight plans, or does it work with the fsx flight plan?

Thanks fot the info Ray. I assumed that 7" or 10" android pad meant a smart pad. I know nothing about smart phones, tablets or iPads. I am old school. Bob.

Bob, it was onebob who mentioned android pads. :wink: I do have an iPad and keep flight planning info on it. They can be quite useful.

Ray, does FSEarth work with PMDG flight plans, or does it work with the fsx flight plan?

FSX ones Rob. You don't need to feed it a flight plan. It will show your aircraft position with or without a plan loaded.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Have you considered Aerosoft's Flight Sim Commander with that you can do all your flight planning as well as having a moving map. It is payware but is very useful. You can zoom in and see all the runways and parking spots etc, all the other aircraft are displayed as well. It also allows you to open a window so that you can see your location in Google Earth. you can download a free trial version before buying.