Sign in to follow this  
paulwilko10

FPS Drop On Approach!

I can not put my finger on why this happening.

Example flight:

Aerosoft Airbus

Take off from ORBX Queenstown

Scenery is ORBX NZ South Island

Active Sky Next

REX including Soft Clouds

On runway i get appx 30FPS

In flight flickers between 20-30

On Approach to Christchurch default airport 15FPS and feels awful

Traffic is off

I have the sliders about 2/3rds right

Process explorer sas I have used about 2500 VRAM

GPU-z says never above 600mb of my 2GB card

I have tried different bufferpools including zero

I have tried different water settings

I have an i5 clocked to 4.3

8GB Ram

Win 7

As per the readings, doesn't seem that the pc or graphics card is stressed at the time anyway

I have this issue on other flights but because this is a nice short flight, i can test better

Any ideas please?

Paul

is your destination full of autogen? Did you try to reduce it? Did you modify LOD radius? Is the weather different there? how many cloud layers you have in ASN? What about max and min visibility and cloud draw distance? Do you have road traffic on? Or everything road and airline is 0?

• Upvote 1

is your destination full of autogen? Did you try to reduce it? Did you modify LOD radius? Is the weather different there? how many cloud layers you have in ASN? What about max and min visibility and cloud draw distance? Do you have road traffic on? Or everything road and airline is 0?

Destination full of Autogen? It's the default airfield with ORBX New Zealand, so no, not really.

LOD Radius, not even looked at that, so that will be default, is it wrth looking at ?

6 Cloud layers but even adjusting it during flight makes no obvious difference to FPS

The weather is slightly different but I would say for the better as it is less cloudy

MAX and MIN both default at 90 miles

There is no road traffic or any other traffic

Thanks

Paul

Try minimum visibility 60 max 100 and 4 cloud layers. 4 is max you see irl in 99% cases and clouds make huge difference. what is your water setting? what is your anti aliasing? Forced through nvispector? Dx9 or dx10? Do you have similar issue outside of region?

Try minimum visibility 60 max 100 and 4 cloud layers. 4 is max you see irl in 99% cases and clouds make huge difference. what is your water setting? what is your anti aliasing? Forced through nvispector? Dx9 or dx10? Do you have similar issue outside of region?

My water setting has been the source of my latest tinkering.

If I turn my water setting off, i do get an increase, so I changed my Bufferpools from 0 to different settings but no better, so went back to zero, hwoever it mean si have to have water at high 2x i think it is.I have turned it back down a little but i get flashes which is expected.

Anti aliasing is done by nvidia inspector but am at work so cannot say what it is.

DX9

I will try the visibility you mention and 4 layers. Why is the default 5 if the max we actually see is only 4?

Thanks for your help

Paul

In rare cases you can see 5 but I remember reading this info straight from HiFi forum. Why? No clue but default 5 was performance killer to me. 4 is smooth even with enhanced overcast so there is something going on for sure. The aa can also kill performance but than again since it is approach specific in your case - might not be the main culprit.

That FPS loss on approach is a typical DX9 problem, main reason I switched to DX10 with the Fixer = no FPS loss at all. DX9 is very prone to stutters and drop of fps, didn't found the cause yet. As far as I can remember when I was using DX9 mode, on every approach I changed scenery or autogen complexity usually one step lower, and fps was way better, at least for a couple of minutes.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

That FPS loss on approach is a typical DX9 problem, main reason I switched to DX10 with the Fixer = no FPS loss at all. DX9 is very prone to stutters and drop of fps, didn't found the cause yet. As far as I can remember when I was using DX9 mode, on every approach I changed scenery or autogen complexity usually one step lower, and fps was way better, at least for a couple of minutes.

Not really considered DX10, maybe worth a look if everything else fails

Just my 2 cents worth.   As an experiment (and this has worked for me in the past), save your flight at base leg/finals, and exit FSX completely.   Start the Sim and load your flight.   As you proceed for the final minutes of your flight, how do the frames look?   Not a nice way to complete a good journey, but it may help you assess where the problem lies.

Chris

Not really considered DX10, maybe worth a look if everything else fails

That's what I was thinking when was on DX9, but now I will rather delete FSX than back to DX9. DX10 is smooth, no bugs,no problems with VAS, no fps drop, better visuals.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

A totally inaccurate post. Thousands of us use DX9 and don't get a FPS loss on approach.

• Upvote 1

I actually forgot about one thing - is your win 7 64 or 32 bit?

I actually forgot about one thing - is your win 7 64 or 32 bit?

It doesn't matter because FSX is a 32 bit program.

Edit: What we really could be looking at is his FSX.cfg file and see if the necessary tweaks have been applied.

Also we should see if his CPU is running at full speed through the BIOS and through any utilities.

• Upvote 1

A totally inaccurate post. Thousands of us use DX9 and don't get a FPS loss on approach.

That was my experience with DX9 with various hardware configurations. As soon I switched to DX10 all these problems went away, so it's logical for me to blame DX9.

I have 64bit

I have MEMFIX, BUFFERPOOLS, VSYNC (Window Mode) tweaks added

Any other obvious ones I have forgotten?