Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

SLI is coming to P3Dv2 in a couple of weeks :)

How do you adequately cool Card #1? Last week, with the DCS Huey, down in the weeds, flying through particle effects, the #1 card peaked at 100C. The adjacent card, the one that has a little breathing room in the case, was around 70C. Needless to say, I don't want this to occur with any regularity, and so I'm manually setting the fans on both cards to 100% before any flightsim session. That maybe helps a little, but #1 card still gets painfully high, and I'm not quite sure what to do about that...I have MSI Afterburner runnning, and supposedly it should throttle the card back when it gets to 90C, but I'm not sure that it is actually doing that.

Regardless of local cooling problems I'm so glad to hear that SLI is coming to P3D. This is a major weight added to the scale in favor of P3D and my decision about whether I might eventually embrace it. It is such a great capability in the battle flightsimmers wage to make the existing hardware keep up.

Thanks for the link, Rich, I didn't know there was a current topic running on the very subject.

Thanks for the link, Rich, I didn't know there was a current topic running on the very subject.

Your welcome 

Rich Sennett

I've hit as high as 230°C on slot 3.  Can't locate waterblocks for the EVGA 760's.  They are a non-reference-based board.

230! 230°C??? The card didn't melt down? Maybe my 100°C isn't so bad as I thought! Wow.

Sorry, 130°C.  Typo.  Stupid finger...

130°C is still to high, you will kill your gpu.

gpu temp should be lower or equal 80 °C.

130°C.

Hi Kevin,

That's a crazy high temperature  :lol:

My overclocked i7-5960X very rarely goes above 60°C, watercooling is the way to go.

Cheers,

Jerome

130 C is 266 F ... that is WELL beyond the limits of a GPU ... I think you mean 130 F which is about 54 C.  Thermal limits of most GPUs and CPUs is around 140-180F ... 130 C I'm certain it would not function ... the PCB absolute max is 280 F - 266 F would start to distort the circuit board and eventually fail quickly.

Cheers, Rob.

For me, I already have a Corsair watercooler in there for the CPU. You get 2 or 3 GPU's packed in there, and only one of them really has the space to suck in the necessary amount of airflow. In a full tower case, it becomes hard to imagine how you fit multiple Corsair-style watercoolers in there and then attach them to the GPU's with the Kraken bracket (as Rich has explained in a thread kindly linked above). It is actually good that the discussion has drifted a little to this thermal issue, because I think people who embrace SLI on account of P3D support are going to be running into this situation in increasing numbers. FWIW, I think that 80C stated above as an upper limit sounds a bit conservative, but how would I know. As I said, I've touched 100C before, and it worried me, but it's more typical (with DCS, not FSX) to be around 90. I guess if it cooks, then it cooks, because I don't see very many easy ways around this (other than a throttling solution provided by a program like Afterburner). EDIT-for all I know it may have very little to do with the airflow in the case at all, and the overtemp situation on one of the cards could all just be a factor of how SLI is differentially utilizing the cards.

To whom may have temp. problems with their card under regular use or playing games may be caused by a specific driver, trying another driver may take care of the problem.

That's a crazy high temperature

What's he cooling it with....a bunsen burner?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Funny.  NO.  My CPU is water-cooled and OC'd.  No issues.  I never get above 50-70°C on the GPU's with anything BUT Sniper Elite III.  Then my wife will walk by and say something flippant like "Heating the neighborhood again, I see."  about 3 minutes after I start Sniper Elite III, my computer sounds like a B737 at just below TOGA power.  There's 10 fans in there and the water-cooling system.  CPU remains at about 35°C.  The method of stacking cards in SLI really kills the airflow and I can't find water blocks for the EVGA GTX760SC cards.

They get hot enough that the DVI connectors begin to get loose in their connector insulation.

I need to go research what you mean by "water block", as compared to the solution that Rich Sennet describes using a Corsair H75 and all the hoses.