Sign in to follow this  
John V

PMDG 747

I was flying the PMDG 747F and I noticed that the nice looking contrails I see on my other planes isn't showing up on my 747 from PMDG. I have all my settings up high (special effects etc). I uninstalled and reinstalled the package but its still showing the default contrails. Any ideas why?

Thanks

John V

Same here, 

it looks like PrecifitFX simply excluded the 747 on istallation. Didn´t happen to any other aircraft so far. The contrails are slim and still 2Dimensional, just like the default ones.

I hope we are not the only ones, John  :(

It's because the PMDG 747 uses its own contrails, namely its own effect.

I got around it by replacing the 747's contrail files in the 'effects' -folder with the standard contrail_l.fx, contrail_r.fx (I think those are the file names), which are replaced by the PreceiptFX contrails.

Just copy the standard ones and replace them with 747 contrail's file name. So you should end up with the standard ones and the 747's ones which are now the same, but have a different name.

cheers

Hello,

sounds like a great Idea! So did I get this right?

1. The contrail_l.fx and contrail_r.fx are the "new" default ones, allready updated by the FSFX installer

2. I have to delete the 747´s own contrail file (contrailABCD)

3. Copy the contrail_l.fx and contrail_r.fx into "contrailABCD"s place

4. Name contrail_l.fx and contrail_r.fx "contrailABCD"

My question: Where do I find the PMDG 747´s "contrailABCD" and what is its correct name?

As you correctly said the PreceiptFX package replaces the default ones with its own effects, but keeps the name so every aircraft can use the new contrails effects.

So here's what you do to get them on the PMDG 747.

1. Go into your effects folder and make a copy of the default contrail effect ('fx_contrail_l.fx' & 'fx_contrail_s.fx'), which, if you have PreceiptFX installed, are already replaced by the PreceiptFX contrail.

2. Paste them on your desktop or wherever

3. Go to the effects folder again and look for 'fx_vaportrail_l.fx' & 'fx_vaportrail_r.fx'. Those are the PMDG 747 contrails.

4. Now rename the copies you put on your desktop:
'fx_contrail_l.fx' --> 'fx_vaportrail_l.fx'

'fx_contrail_s.fx'    --> 'fx_vaportrail_r.fx'

5. Move the renamed files to your effects folder and replace the existing files (default PMDG 747 contrail) there. 

6. Enjoy the PreceiptFX contrails on the 747 :)

cheers

As you correctly said the PreceiptFX package replaces the default ones with its own effects, but keeps the name so every aircraft can use the new contrails effects.

So here's what you do to get them on the PMDG 747.

1. Go into your effects folder and make a copy of the default contrail effect ('fx_contrail_l.fx' & 'fx_contrail_s.fx'), which, if you have PreceiptFX installed, are already replaced by the PreceiptFX contrail.

2. Paste them on your desktop or wherever

3. Go to the effects folder again and look for 'fx_vaportrail_l.fx' & 'fx_vaportrail_r.fx'. Those are the PMDG 747 contrails.

4. Now rename the copies you put on your desktop:

'fx_contrail_l.fx' --> 'fx_vaportrail_l.fx'

'fx_contrail_s.fx'    --> 'fx_vaportrail_r.fx'

5. Move the renamed files to your effects folder and replace the existing files (default PMDG 747 contrail) there. 

6. Enjoy the PreceiptFX contrails on the 747 :)

cheers

Ok I don't know if I'm following this correctly. I have the PreceiptFX installed on my computer. I copy the fx_contrail files onto my desktop. I then rename them with the vaportrail name? I tested this out and I see the wing vorticles are the contrails now but the contrails coming off the engines are still default.