Sign in to follow this  
Tommi333

Prepar3d - Crossfire won't work

As some of you know P3D is not supported by AMD crossfire. It is because P3D runs in windowed mode to allow different kinds of multi monitor settings as I understood. Unfortunately crossfire wont run in windowed mode. As I just bought a AMD 295x2 card i tried to get support from AMD.

After many tries to get an appropriate answer from if they plan windowed mode crossfire support in the near future, they wrote; "No, AMD wont support the windowed mode crossfire in the future." - Means never.

So for everybody outhere who have or plan a multi monitor flight sim with good settings AMD should not be the brand of your chose.

Read Preapr3D Forum re:SLi support

If I have a choice, I won't choose AMD for anything at all. The only AMD product I have are the dual Radeon HD-7770 1GB video cards with Crossfire configuration, and that only because it came with the SYX computer I bought for my development machine. Since I don't use it for gaming, the four video ports are very handy for my needs.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bear in mind that Nvidia are beginning to show signs of anti-consumer behaviour.  The Gameworks API that some developers are using causes AMD hardware to under-perform compared to the newest Nvidia cards, along with a deliberate handicapping of older Nvidia cards in Gameworks and new driver releases.

This is quite appalling from Nvidia, and makes me wonder whether I will upgrade to the new AMD 390 card instead of the 980 I had my eye on.

The lesser of the two evils...ain't that the name of the game for us all since for ever in the FS land?

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

I'd say that everyone should avoid SLI and Crossfire all together. Both of them are a headache and support on game like P3D and many others is hit and very often miss. NVidia looks to be finally responding to Lockeed Martin's request, but whos to say the next driver won't just cause a hit in SLI performance. I wonder how fast nVidia will be to respond then.

NVidia seems to be rock'n it right now with it's super expensive high performance cards vs. If you can afford it. I'd like to get a GTX 980, but my R9 270X does fine for now.

AMD refuse to support Crossfire unless you use full-screen, which seems a strange decision consider how Nvidia drivers work fine that way.

And if I do buy a 980 now, how do I know Nvidia will not purposely hobble it with new drivers after they release their next iteration of GPU in two years time?  It is far to much of a gamble TBH, so R390 for me.

Hoping someone can clarify. I'm currently using an AMD R9 290 and all the talk of Nvidia SLI and no crossfire support has left me a bit confused.

I've never used crossfire or SLI  but have always assumed that an extra card gave more processing power and thus improved performance.

Does this mean that AMD users will see no improvement (i.e., FPS) in P3D v2.x with another card crossfired or simply that they can't use features like multi-monitor?