Sign in to follow this  
Guest MidnightMike

MD-90.

How many of these aircraft went into service? I believe the first one went into service with Delta in 1995, making it a reasonably recent bird, however it's sales seem to be relatively short lived. Was it maybe the take-over from Boeing that killed it?Anyone know more about this bird- good/bad attributes?Thanks,Bruce.

Guest MidnightMike

I think about 120 MD90's went into service, Delta has about 12-15, Saudia has about 30 of the MD90EFD version, JAL/JAS has about 15, SAS has a handfull, & China Northern has over 20.Here is a good website for information on the Douglas birdshttp://www.angelfire.com/dc/douglasjets/Problems with the MD90 were complex, the aircraft had electrical problems and was also in competition with Boeing & Airbus at the time. By the time that Douglas took care of the problems with the aircraft, they were losing orders. The big blow was when Delta cancelled a very large order for the MD90, Delta at one time referred to the MD90 as their airplane for the future.The 717 was originally called the MD95, but, was renamed to the 717 when Boeing bought out Douglas.http://www.webradium.com/aviationtraininge...87901/index.htm

Thanks Mike,That website is great, lots of good info. Thanks also for your own info supplied. Just another instance of a good aircraft design gone south, bit I guess that's progress!I fly out of DEN, and with UA being the dominant carrier here and having now MDxx a/c, I seldom get to fly one. I did however use MidWest Express last week to fly to MKE, on an MD-8x. I even got invited into the cockpit by the captain for the pre-flight when I told him (on boarding) that I was a private pilot. (I was shown the door before push-back, of course :) ). This led me to research a little on the MDxx series, bringing up this question when I found out info on the MD-90.Thanks,Bruce.

Guest MidnightMike

BruceYeah too bad, when they got the kinks worked out the MD90 turned out to be a good airplane, but, oh well.